Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 firmware update - can't find earlier version v2.2.1.212

BCB60
Aspirant

Orbi RBR20 firmware update - can't find earlier version v2.2.1.212

I just set up a new Orbi RBR20 wifi system in my house, and when I connect to the Orbi network, all web pages give me a security warning. (Oddly, my phone works fine on the network -- it's just laptops that are having trouble.)

So I am looking at the info on the Netgear websitev re: firmware updates, and it looks like my problem lies in the version of the firmware my router has. However, the website tells me this: "If your firmware version is 2.2.1.210 or lower, you cannot update the firmware directly to v2.3 or higher. You must first update the firmware to v2.2.1.212 using the manual firmware update feature in the router web interface. After updating the firmware to v2.2.1.212, your Orbi router reboots, and then you can update to higher versions."

When I look for this earlier version of the firmware, it's not listed with the past versions:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR20.aspx#RBR20%20Firmware%20Version%202.3.5.36%20-%20Hot%2...

Can someone advise? I am not a tech person and am not really sure what I'm doing. 🙂 Thanks!

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR20 firmware update - can't find earlier version v2.2.1.212

@BCB60 wrote:

The Orbi router is connected to a Netgear AC1600 Wifi Cable Modem Router.

It looks like my current firmware version is 2.3.5.26. So I am up-to-date. 

Then, I don't know why, when I am on the Orbi wifi, every web page I try to load gives me a security warning, regardless of what browser I'm using. On Firefox, I get this warning on every page:

Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to www.netgear.com. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

What can you do about it?

The issue is most likely with the website, and there is nothing you can do to resolve it. You can notify the website’s administrator about the problem.

Any ideas on how I can fix this? It doesn't happen when I am on the Orbi network on my phone, or when I am connected to the Orbi router with an ethernet cable -- only on wifi.

Its because you're in a double nat. Mine gives me that same error on firefox when in a double nat. 

you either need to put your Netgeat AC1600 (not a model, its a speed) combo device in modem only/bridge mode or you need to put the Orbi in AP (access point) mode. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

V210 will be a valid version to use...

Message 2 of 7
BCB60
Aspirant

I don't know what version it has now, but the Netgear site is telling me to update the firmware to at least v2.3, to fix this security problem I'm having. I am unable to update to 2.3, and Netgear says in order to update to 2.3 I need to have at least v2.2.1.212, so I am assuming the firmware is earlier than that.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you connect a wired PC or laptop to the back of the RBR and use a web page to log into the RBR use a web browser to see what version is loaded? Orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Message 4 of 7
BCB60
Aspirant

Then, I don't know why, when I am on the Orbi wifi, every web page I try to load gives me a security warning, regardless of what browser I'm using. On Firefox, I get this warning on every page:

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to www.netgear.com. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

The issue is most likely with the website, and there is nothing you can do to resolve it. You can notify the website’s administrator about the problem.

Any ideas on how I can fix this? It doesn't happen when I am on the Orbi network on my phone, or when I am connected to the Orbi router with an ethernet cable -- only on wifi.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

@BCB60 wrote:

Its because you're in a double nat. Mine gives me that same error on firefox when in a double nat. 

you either need to put your Netgeat AC1600 (not a model, its a speed) combo device in modem only/bridge mode or you need to put the Orbi in AP (access point) mode. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 6 of 7
BCB60
Aspirant

Thank you! I appreciate your help!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation