Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR20 frequently dropping connection

-Oscar-
Tutor

Orbi RBR20 frequently dropping connection

Hi,

My Orbi RBR20 is getting frequent dropouts where all connected devices looses connection. The wifi can't be "seen" for aprox 2 minutes and then it comes back, wired connections loose access too. I can't access the router admin page during this downtime either. Needless to say it's extremely frustrating when we have to work from home or just streaming Netflix (it even happened as I was writing this). 

I would say it has probably gotten worse with every new firmware. Currently using firmware V2.5.1.16. 

I've read several threads here in the community the same issue and have tried many solutions including:

• Removing the satellite from the equation altogether (unplugged)
  • Newest firmware then factory reset router (and not adding the satellite after)
  • Beamforming setting
  • Specific channels on 2.4- 5ghz instead of auto
  • Lower transmit power on 2.4 / 5ghz
  • Dedicated IPs on as many devices as possible 

Perhaps useful info:

• I have a lot of neighbour wifis nearby
  •  I tested with ethernet cable straight from the modem (or what to call it?) during 16 hours without any hickups. So I'm quite sure it's the Orbi.

I still have hardware warranty but I suspect it's software related. I never had this many issues when the router was new (august 2019), I remember it happening once or twice a month but not this often.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 22
Mstrbig
Master

@-Oscar- wrote:

Hi,

My Orbi RBR20 is getting frequent dropouts where all connected devices looses connection. The wifi can't be "seen" for aprox 2 minutes and then it comes back, wired connections loose access too. I can't access the router admin page during this downtime either. Needless to say it's extremely frustrating when we have to work from home or just streaming Netflix (it even happened as I was writing this). 

I would say it has probably gotten worse with every new firmware. Currently using firmware V2.5.1.16. 

I've read several threads here in the community the same issue and have tried many solutions including:

• Newest firmware then factory reset router (and not adding the satellite after)
  • Beamforming setting

Perhaps useful info:

•  I tested with ethernet cable straight from the modem (or what to call it?) during 16 hours without any hickups. So I'm quite sure it's the Orbi.

I still have hardware warranty but I suspect it's software related. I never had this many issues when the router was new (august 2019), I remember it happening once or twice a month but not this often.

You could try changing WIFI channels as it may be interference. 

How far are the satellites from the router?

I have:

Implicit BEAMFORMING Enabled

MU-MIMO enabled

Message 2 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

@-Oscar- wrote:

Hi,

• Beamforming setting

Perhaps useful info:

Message 3 of 22
-Oscar-
Tutor

@FURRYe38  Both suggestions were already tried. The satellite is not in use at all and setting manual channels doesn't have any effect.

@Mstrbig I will try to MU-MIMO enabled, thanks

Message 4 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, just checking.

As last resort, try a factory reset and setup from scratch if this hasn't been done since last FW update. 

@-Oscar- wrote:

@FURRYe38  Both suggestions were already tried. The satellite is not in use at all and setting manual channels doesn't have any effect.

Message 5 of 22
-Oscar-
Tutor

@FURRYe38 Yes unfortunately I did a factory reset yesterday 😞

Message 6 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What devices do you have all connected to the RBR? 

You might try reverting FW version to last version and see. If the problem continues, I would make contact with NG support to see what your options are. 

@-Oscar- wrote:

@FURRYe38 Yes unfortunately I did a factory reset yesterday 😞

Message 7 of 22
-Oscar-
Tutor

@FURRYe38 

I'm fairly sure it's an Inteno Switch XG6746. 

My connected devices include:

• Laptop
  • Macbook
  • iPhone (2)
  • iPad
  • LG TV
  • Apple TV
  • Desktop computer (wired)

As the problem has persisted through a few firmware versions I think it's a dead end reverting. Unless you mean going back to some specific firmware version?  

OK, I guess I'll have to reach out to support and see. Thanks 

Message 8 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this the switch your referencing?

https://www.intenogroup.com/products/legacy/test-in-old-products/

Is this someting provided by the ISP or you bought? Can this switch be changed out as a troubleshooting step to see if something different in it's place changes the RBRs behavior? 

Message 9 of 22
-Oscar-
Tutor

@FURRYe38 Now that I look at your link I would say the switch is closer to this: link 

I can't replace or remove it unfortunately, all households in our community have the same setup provided by the ISP. My neighbours have no issues with their internet connections (using other branded routers).

Message 10 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 11 of 22
Mstrbig
Master

Message 12 of 22
-Oscar-
Tutor

@Mstrbig Not sure if random luck but after I enabled MU-MIMU setting the Orbi was up for 21 hours before first 2min down-time. Much more stable than past few months.Thanks!

I'll try the wan_lease setting with telnet next as suggested.

Message 13 of 22
Mstrbig
Master

@-Oscar- wrote:

@Mstrbig Not sure if random luck but after I enabled MU-MIMU setting the Orbi was up for 21 hours before first 2min down-time. Much more stable than past few months.Thanks!

I'll try the wan_lease setting with telnet next as suggested.

Your welcome, Fingers Crossed!

Message 14 of 22
-Oscar-
Tutor

@Mstrbig @FURRYe38  Had a good uptime for well over 24 hours again. Unfortunately today we've had two drops already aprox 1 hour interval (one in the middle of a work video conference call). Can't explain why - luck or the changes with MIMU and wan_lease do have some positive effect.

Thanks for the suggestions regardless. If anyone has any other suggestions feel free to share. Or I will probably need to switch out my system completely.

Message 15 of 22
Mstrbig
Master

Apologies if asked and answered:

Grasping for straws, lol

When the dropout happens, what task is usually being performed? 

Are you plugged into a UPS or directly to a wall plug?

Are there any heavy power using devices plugged into the same circuit? I had a similar issue, where a huge commercial printer was plugged into an outlet on the same circuit as the router and 3 PCs. Their network constantly loss connection. It turned out to be the heater circuit kept coming on preiodically, causing a brownout situation.

Are the satellites too close or too far away? 

Regarding your conference call, is your phone device wired or wireless?

Message 16 of 22
-Oscar-
Tutor

No worries happy for any help I can get!

• When the dropout happens, what task is usually being performed? 
    • It seems random, but we notice mainly when streaming. Maybe because you just take notice then. I have uptime monitor running 24/7 now and from what I can tell there were drop-outs during the night as well, 3am when we did basically nothing.
  • Are you plugged into a UPS or directly to a wall plug?
    • Wall plug directly
  • Are there any heavy power using devices plugged into the same circuit? I had a similar issue, where a huge commercial printer was plugged into an outlet on the same circuit as the router and 3 PCs. Their network constantly loss connection. It turned out to be the heater circuit kept coming on preiodically, causing a brownout situation.
    • Just the orbi router by itself
  • Are the satellites too close or too far away? 
    • I'm not using the satellite at all for debug reasons at the moment
  • Regarding your conference call, is your phone device wired or wireless?
    • That call was on skype (laptop)

Message 17 of 22
Mstrbig
Master

Dropouts could be ISP, device, power, WIFI interference or firmware related as others have reported issues after firmware update.

Did you recently get a firmware update for the Orbi?

Have you tried another WIFI channel? I may have mentioned, I use NetSpot to find other WIFI networks close by and switch to a lesser used channel.

Message 18 of 22
-Oscar-
Tutor

@Mstrbig I think it's firmware but it's been going on for multiple firmware versions. To rule out ISP being the cause, I monitored with ethernet cable straight from the ISP's switch for 16 hours without interrptions. I could possibly run it longer to rule it out completely. 

Yes but I didn't dig deep into it. Just selected some other channel than auto. Good tip though, I could have a look with NetSpot. 

Message 19 of 22
Mstrbig
Master

Sometimes for some reason on any device a firmware upgrade requires a factory reset  and reconfigure. You can backup the settings of the Orbi router so it's a lot faster. factory reset, re-configure, restore backup. Worth a try if all else fails.

Message 20 of 22
-Oscar-
Tutor

@Mstrbig Yes did that the day before yesterday unfortunately 😞

Message 21 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like you may have a faulty system IMO, if this has been on going over several versions of FW, this would point to a problem on the HW side. IF this was a FW issue, more users would be posting about this. Thought RBR20 users have psoted seeing various issue, most cases get resolved with what we have tried here. 

If this it out of warranty, then seems like you may need to find another solution. If it's under warranty, I would make contact with NG support to see what options are hope to you. 

Last option would be to install a different router between the modem and RBR and configure the RBR 20 for AP mode. See if the RBR still experiences this issue or not. Different modes may experience different things...

@-Oscar- wrote:

@Mstrbig Yes did that the day before yesterday unfortunately 😞

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7