Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 going offline

orbiRBR20user
Aspirant

Orbi RBR20 going offline

My RBR20 keeps going offline all the time.

The orbi is connected to homebroadband mobile router.

The orbi has a different SSiD from the ISP router because i had problems when making them the same.

I checked the lease obtained and it says 1 day is this the problem?

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR20 going offline

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 13
orbiRBR20user
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply even though I must admit not understanding everything, since im a real pleb when it comes to networking and english isnt my naitive language. The ISP router is a huawei b818, my isp coustumer service said that it was in bridgemode as a standard but i have a suspicion he wouldnt know the up and down of a router.

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You can check the status of the RBR and see if the modems is really bridged by logging into the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1 in a web browser and navigate to Advanced tab. Look at the Internet Port section and find IP Address. If the modem is bridged, it should appear with two first and second set of numbers like this: ##.##.###.###. IF you see this similar number format. then the modem is bridge. If you see a 10 or 172 or a 192 address here, then the modem is not bridged. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 4 of 13
orbiRBR20user
Aspirant

It says unknown on the IP

I belive the house is about 250squaremeters but dont think satteites are to fare apart since the backhaul on both is green in the app.

There isnt a lot of neighbours close.

Not 100% sure how to turn of frequencies (do you mean on the huawei or the orbi?) but would that even make a difference since the orbi router is connected to the modem/huawei router with ethernet?

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

If unknown then there is something going on between the RBR and modem. 

Power OFF both modem and RBR for 1 minute. Power on the ISP modem first and let it sync. Then power ON the RBR. After its back to ready, check the IP address again on the RBR. 

Changing channels would be on the RBRs web page using a web browser. 

Message 6 of 13
orbiRBR20user
Aspirant

I made a mistake, unknown was on my isp router (which btw is what i access when typing that ip) on the rbr the ip is 192.168.1.###

(is bridge mode needed for things to work?)

I also tried turning off wifi on the isp router not sure yet if it helped

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

And thats what you see under Advanced tab. Look at the Internet Port section and find IP Address? If so, then the ISP modem is not bridged. 

Bridged would be preferred. 

However if you disabled the wifi on the ISP modem, try option #2 of my suggestion list with the modem and RBR. 

Message 8 of 13
orbiRBR20user
Aspirant

Yes that is where i found the ip.

The internet will switch beetwen online and offline automaticly.

and im using latest firmware

thank you so much for helping btw

Message 9 of 13
orbiRBR20user
Aspirant

Im not completly sure but I think i saw somewhere that my ISP router dont support bridgemode.

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, if not then try option#2 if the modem can't be bridged. If the fails, you can try option#3 as well. 

Message 11 of 13
orbiRBR20user
Aspirant

Ok, I allready turned of wifi but how do I do all that ip config stuff and set the orbi in router mode?

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBR should be already in router mode.

The DMZ or IP Passthru, you might contact the ISP provider and have them help you set that up for the RBR. Various modems have different ways of doing that. The ISP should be able to help you there. There maybe some online sites that have information on how to do that on that particular modem. Do a search on that model modem + DMZ as see what you might find. I would involve logging to the modems web page and finding the DMZ or IP pass-thru feature to configure. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7