Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi (RBR20) internal network speed

514brews
Follower

Orbi (RBR20) internal network speed

I have a Orbi mesh network with 3 satellites - I'm trying to figure out how I can test the speed within the network.  Is this possible?

My home office is at the far end of the network, so I'm trying to figure out if it's better to position 2 satellites between the office and router, or 1.

devices are all running v.2.7.3.22

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi (RBR20) internal network speed

You can use iPerf tools for speed testing internal networks...

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi (RBR20) internal network speed

@514brews wrote:

I have a Orbi mesh network with 3 satellites - I'm trying to figure out how I can test the speed within the network.  Is this possible?

My home office is at the far end of the network, so I'm trying to figure out if it's better to position 2 satellites between the office and router, or 1.

If there are two satellites between the router and office, every packet must make "two hops" rather than one hop.  If one satellite will produce a "Good" signal at the office, then that is better.  If not, it would seem you have no choice but to use two hops.

I, also, recommend iPerf3 as a "go to" tool for documenting network throughput.  It is available for almost every platform (Windows, Linux, Android, MacOS, iPhone, iPad). https://iperf.fr/iperf-download.php 

Connect one device to the router and another device to the Office satellite. If the goal is to measure the absolute maximum throughput possible, then these devices should be connected with ethernet cables to eliminate WiFi congestion from the problem.

When iPerf3 is run with two computers connected to each other via a gigabit switch, it is possible to reach over 900mbs in both directions.

If any devices are connected with WiFi, throughput will be reduced.

It may take a few tries to get iPerf3 working. One end has to be the server and the othe rthe client. Wiindows will require that iPerf3 be allowed through the Windows Firewall on each end.

If you decide to give this a try, please report what you found out.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7