Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 network slows to a crawl when uploading -- how can I fix this?

vinyl
Aspirant

Orbi RBR20 network slows to a crawl when uploading -- how can I fix this?

My Orbi network slows to a crawl when something is being uploaded and using all of the limited upload bandwidth. Is there anything I can do within the Orbi settings to fix this?

My setup:

• Orbi RBR20 (V2.3.5.26) with 2 satellites connected to a basic cable modem (no integrated wifi or login info I can find online)
  • Theoretical internet package speed is 120 down/5 up, but it reality I get between 80-120 down and 2.5 up as tested by either the router directly or speedtest on a connected device.
  • The typical bandwidth hogging uploader is a Mac doing backups
    • Upload bandwidth can be limited for cloud backup service, but not for iCloud
  • Mac is connected via ethernet to a satellite with green backhaul status

The experience:

1. Mac starts uploading
  2. Other connected devices struggle to initiate downloads. E.g.:
    • Speedtest fails to complete on router
    • Speedtest complains of latency issues when run from separate Mac wired to the RBR20
    • Pages take a long time to load on both wireless and wired devices
    • Netflix will timeout autoplaying next video
    • When a device finally connects, e.g. Netflix, it can play a video without stalling

We're looking into getting a better internet package with more upload bandwidth, but

a) I worry that we'll have the same problem, just on a bigger scale

b) it sucks that the Orbi (seemingly) can't better manage the network so that one device can't ruin the network for everyone else

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR20 network slows to a crawl when uploading -- how can I fix this?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Does the same thing happen if you connect the Mac directly to the RBR instead of the RBS? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

@vinyl wrote:

My Orbi network slows to a crawl when something is being uploaded and using all of the limited upload bandwidth. Is there anything I can do within the Orbi settings to fix this?

My setup:

• Orbi RBR20 (V2.3.5.26) with 2 satellites connected to a basic cable modem (no integrated wifi or login info I can find online)
  • Theoretical internet package speed is 120 down/5 up, but it reality I get between 80-120 down and 2.5 up as tested by either the router directly or speedtest on a connected device.
  • The typical bandwidth hogging uploader is a Mac doing backups
    • Upload bandwidth can be limited for cloud backup service, but not for iCloud
  • Mac is connected via ethernet to a satellite with green backhaul status

The experience:

1. Mac starts uploading
  2. Other connected devices struggle to initiate downloads. E.g.:
    • Speedtest fails to complete on router
    • Speedtest complains of latency issues when run from separate Mac wired to the RBR20
    • Pages take a long time to load on both wireless and wired devices
    • Netflix will timeout autoplaying next video
    • When a device finally connects, e.g. Netflix, it can play a video without stalling

We're looking into getting a better internet package with more upload bandwidth, but

a) I worry that we'll have the same problem, just on a bigger scale

b) it sucks that the Orbi (seemingly) can't better manage the network so that one device can't ruin the network for everyone else

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Message 2 of 4
vinyl
Aspirant

It doesn't have many markings -- really only a model number. This is what I could deduce with a google search: Bn-mux BCW620J.

Does the same thing happen if you connect the Mac directly to the RBR instead of the RBS? 

It's a desktop Mac, so I don't really have a practical way to test that. I do know that a Mac wired to the RBR suffers from slow page loading when a wireless Mac is uploading.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

The satellite the (presumably) offending Mac is connected to is less than 30 feet away. There is a 2nd satellite further away.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Channels 13, 11 (2.4G) and 36 (5G).

Not really. Only other wifi network is the PS4.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

How willl this help the Mac that's wirelessly connected to the RBR?

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Most of these are already disabled. Are there any thought to be particularly problemetic? 

No. It's a new network. I've only had the Orbi for a couple weeks, and I think most things were setup after it did it's initial setup and FW check.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

@vinyl wrote:

It doesn't have many markings -- really only a model number. This is what I could deduce with a google search: Bn-mux BCW620J.

Do you know if this modem has a built in wifi router already or is it just a modem only?

It's a desktop Mac, so I don't really have a practical way to test that. I do know that a Mac wired to the RBR suffers from slow page loading when a wireless Mac is uploading.

The satellite the (presumably) offending Mac is connected to is less than 30 feet away. There is a 2nd satellite further away.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

Channels 13, 11 (2.4G) and 36 (5G).

Not really. Only other wifi network is the PS4.

PS4 is not a wifi network. Its a connected client over wireless. Doesn't broadcast it's own wifi signal. 

How willl this help the Mac that's wirelessly connected to the RBR?

Is Beamforming and MIMO enabled on the RBR? Some devcies support MIMO which has better bandwidth abilities with the RBR. 

Most of these are already disabled. Are there any thought to be particularly problemetic? 

Seen others post that Armor or Circle seem to cause problems for them. 

40Mhz is preferred for maximum connection rate speeds. 

No. It's a new network. I've only had the Orbi for a couple weeks, and I think most things were setup after it did it's initial setup and FW check.

Please try a facotry reste and setup from scratch. FW may have been upated on the system and needs a full reset. 

I would turn OFF the RBS and test with just the RBR alone and see if same thing happens. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7