Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 router magenta light remains on - I want it off

SmilingEddie
Guide

Orbi RBR20 router magenta light remains on - I want it off

This problem has only existed since moved to a wired backhaul. Everything else works fine.  Its configured as an Access Point. Only the Guest SSID is appears in neighbourhood device WiFi lists, I often see 200+ mbps down in any part of the house. I've managed to get IP addresses to the satellites so they are in the network kit part of our address range. The problem is present regardless of whether I hook all the kit to the museum-piece switch I have to use to get wired backhaul to work or subsequently move the satellites to the green switch that serves the rest of the house which the router wifi signal has no chance of reaching.

Its all fairly stable but there is this damn magenta light.

If I cover it up, I compromise the ventilation so what do I do?

And no, I'm not going to live with it. I bought via Amazon, so I can still send it back. I can't find anything on the web page. Any ideas?

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
SmilingEddie
Guide

Re: Orbi RBR20 router magenta light remains on - I want it off

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So even with the RBS and this switch disconnected from the RBR does the RBR top LED remain on?

What is the mfr and model# of this switch? 

Confess, I only tried connectivity that was viable, i.e, plugged-in. But since you suggested it... even when the RJ45 is removed, it still slowly pulses white.  I've powered off, paused and turned it back on again.  It flashed white for a while but now... the light has gone out!! Ha!  Well done FURRYe38!! Thank you.

Something noticed while testing to see what price I'm paying for this, is that the icon for the SBSs had changed to a Linux device in both cases. Odd, but I can live with that. Switches are a Netgear GS105 and a TP-link TL-SG1016DE BTW.

Again, thanks so much.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 16

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure the RBR is connected to the main host router using the Yellow WAN port in back of the RBR. 

Pink means there isn't a good connection between the RBR and the host router, or the host router isn't giving any internet services to the RBR or the cable maybe bad. 

Message 2 of 16
SmilingEddie
Guide

Thanks, we're thinking similarly about this but Netgear sees it differently:

If, as I am. you want to use wired backhaul, you have to connect the router through a non-yellow socket - look closely at the diagram in the documentation. I confess, I only spotted this after vain attempts to connect the LAN lead which ultimately goes to the Internet, into the yellow socket as you suggested.

Have you been able to swap back to using the yellow socket (works fine with wiff backhaul) and still using wired backhaul?

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I've never used the LAN ports for a primary connection to the main host router. I always use the yellow LAN port for the RBRs connection to the host router or a ISP Modem always. The the LAN ports are for direct connected RBS which if used will be wired backhaul in this configuration. IF the RBS are not wire connected then the back haul will be wireless. 

Message 4 of 16
SmilingEddie
Guide

Thanks. The steady magenta light has now been replaced with a blinking white one.

Apart from going back to the magenta light, is there another option here?

BTW, the satelittes are still using the wired backhaul with the router connected via the Internet/yellow socket, so thanks for that.

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the mfr and model # of the host router the RBR is conencted too? 

What does the status say when you log into the RBRs web page on the Basic Tab using a web browser? 

Message 6 of 16
SmilingEddie
Guide

The router between the LAN and the ISP Is a CISCO RV340-K9 V01 running firmware 1.0.03.18

The status of the RbR shows as GOOD.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the mfr and model # of the host router the RBR is conencted too? 

What does the status say when you log into the RBRs web page on the Basic Tab using a web browser? 

Message 7 of 16

@SmilingEddie wrote:

The router between the LAN and the ISP Is a CISCO RV340-K9 V01 running firmware 1.0.03.18

That is another router. Is your Orbi router in wireless access point mode?

If not you are in "double NAT" territory.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Some routers can adjust themselves during setup to accommodate that, but moving things around as you have may have upset it.

A lot of people use an Orbi system in AP mode, especially if they have a decent router in front of it.

Message 8 of 16
SmilingEddie
Guide

No - its in Access Point mode, for the reasons you've given. We're also using our own address range and subnet, rather than default.

There does appear to be an element of chance or magic, rather than pure engineering to the set up of this kit.

Of course its engineering but when the logic is complex and hidden...

Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible something going on between the RBR and your host router thats causing the PINK top ring to be on. Usually indicates a bad configuration or full ISP services is not being handled properly or a bad cable connection. 

Message 10 of 16
SmilingEddie
Guide

Buty since I changed the socket, its a white pulsing light; the magenta went when I reconnnected via the Internet socket. So its a pulsing white light problem now.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Possible something going on between the RBR and your host router thats causing the PINK top ring to be on. Usually indicates a bad configuration or full ISP services is not being handled properly or a bad cable connection. 

Connections seem OK - no bad packets detected at switch, lines alll showing gigabit, and download speeds in excess of 200mbps on router and APs. 

All lights were out until I moved to satellites to where the router can no longer see them. I moved to wired and now this.

Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You moved the RBS from wireless to wired connection? 

So it's the RBR with the top ring thats ON currently? 

RBS are OFF?

Message 12 of 16
SmilingEddie
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You moved the RBS from wireless to wired connection? 

So it's the RBR with the top ring thats ON currently? 

RBS are OFF?

Yes, RBS was wired from the start. So were RBSs but they wouldn't use the wire, meaning they were going to fail when located around the house. They only went wired when I connected them to an ancient switch and re-synched. 

RBS lights are off.

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

So even with the RBS and this switch disconnected from the RBR does the RBR top LED remain on?

Message 14 of 16
SmilingEddie
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Confess, I only tried connectivity that was viable, i.e, plugged-in. But since you suggested it... even when the RJ45 is removed, it still slowly pulses white.  I've powered off, paused and turned it back on again.  It flashed white for a while but now... the light has gone out!! Ha!  Well done FURRYe38!! Thank you.

Something noticed while testing to see what price I'm paying for this, is that the icon for the SBSs had changed to a Linux device in both cases. Odd, but I can live with that. Switches are a Netgear GS105 and a TP-link TL-SG1016DE BTW.

Again, thanks so much.

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Be careful with the use of the TP-Link switch. Thats a managed switch. Known to cause probems in between the RBR and RBS if the RBS is wired thru the switch. 

Glad you got it working. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7