Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 slow upload speed

JulietFalcon
Aspirant

Orbi RBR20 slow upload speed

I have a 300 mbps internet service plan with Xfinity and am having issues maintaining proper upload speeds when I run speed tests. My download speeds are typically between 250-350 mbps, and upload speeds between 10-12 mbps. Currently, my download speeds are relatively normal, however, my upload speeds are between 0.5-2 mbps. 

I've had this issue in the past and it ended up being because there was a firmware update for my router. I have downloaded and installed the most recent firmware for the RBR20 router (v2.6.1.36) along with my RBW30 satellite (v2.6.1.6). I've continued to run speed tests after the fact and still cannot obtain an upload speed greater than 2 mbps.

This is causing my internet connection to be very slow, especially with my kids gaming systems. Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can bring my upload speeds back to the 10-12 mbps range?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR20 slow upload speed

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

Is Armor or Circle enabled on the RBR>? 

Message 2 of 13
Mikey94025
Hero

@JulietFalcon wrote:

I have a 300 mbps internet service plan with Xfinity and am having issues maintaining proper upload speeds when I run speed tests. My download speeds are typically between 250-350 mbps, and upload speeds between 10-12 mbps. Currently, my download speeds are relatively normal, however, my upload speeds are between 0.5-2 mbps. 

Your Orbi upload speeds should certainly be higher and close to your 10-12 mbps.  Try the community faq to first narrow down whether the upload speed loss is from the Orbi, wireless and/or wired, etc.: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 3 of 13
JulietFalcon
Aspirant

The modem manufacturer and model is Arris Surfboard SB6183. I am unsure how to check if armor is circle is enabled. 

Once the update to firmware v2.6.1.36 was complete, resetting the modem and router seemed to fix our problems for the past couple weeks, but here we are again. Download speeds are fine, but upload speeds are back to 0.5 - 2mbps.

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have Armor enabled, it wil be on your mobile Orbi app and also appear on the RBRs web page as enabled on the first page if you look at the RBRs web page with a web browser.

Message 5 of 13
JulietFalcon
Aspirant

We do not have Armor activated on our device.

We have an Xfinity field technician coming tomorrow. I've spoken with Arris customer support and they've informed our downstream bonded channels are fine, but that our upstream bonded channels should be between 45-51 and our currently at 42. Arris also had me connect directly from the modem to my laptop, and the speed tests came back with the correct speeds which lead me to believe that there is an issue with the router, however, the Arris tech contined to say it is more likely the result of the upstream bonded channels power levels too low. 

Any insight on this? We had a field technician come out about 6 months ago and informed of the upstream bonded channels being too low and they had no idea what I was talking about. 

Message 6 of 13
vajim
Master

Was your slowdown before or after your fw update?

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

@JulietFalcon wrote:

We do not have Armor activated on our device.

We have an Xfinity field technician coming tomorrow. I've spoken with Arris customer support and they've informed our downstream bonded channels are fine, but that our upstream bonded channels should be between 45-51 and our currently at 42. Arris also had me connect directly from the modem to my laptop, and the speed tests came back with the correct speeds which lead me to believe that there is an issue with the router, however, the Arris tech contined to say it is more likely the result of the upstream bonded channels power levels too low. 

Any insight on this? We had a field technician come out about 6 months ago and informed of the upstream bonded channels being too low and they had no idea what I was talking about. 

Message 8 of 13
vajim
Master

Was your slowdown before or after your fw update?

Message 9 of 13
JulietFalcon
Aspirant

This has been an ongoing issue for several months. In the past, the firmware updates will typically solve the issue for 2-3 days and then the upload speeds drop back to 0.5-1 mbps.

Xfinity informed me today that our plan is actually a 400mbps plan, not the 300 we agreed to which I found extremely odd, and that our current modem only provides speed up to 373mbps. I've ordered an Arris surfboard SB6190 which allows up to 600mbps which will be here tomorrow but at this point I'm unsure what is going to resolve the issue. 

After we scheduled the field technician, another technical support member from Xfinity called to see if they could fix the issue without having to send a field tech out and had me connect directly from the modem to my laptop and once again my download speeds were in the 200-250 range and upload back between 0.5 - 1 mbps. They decided we should wait an hour and will be calling me back in a few minutes.

Message 10 of 13
vajim
Master

Possibly line issues on your network 

how old is your modem?

Message 11 of 13
JulietFalcon
Aspirant

It was purchased from Best Buy in March of this year, so 9 months.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I would avoid the SB6190:

http://www.badmodems.com

@JulietFalcon wrote:

This has been an ongoing issue for several months. In the past, the firmware updates will typically solve the issue for 2-3 days and then the upload speeds drop back to 0.5-1 mbps.

Xfinity informed me today that our plan is actually a 400mbps plan, not the 300 we agreed to which I found extremely odd, and that our current modem only provides speed up to 373mbps. I've ordered an Arris surfboard SB6190 which allows up to 600mbps which will be here tomorrow but at this point I'm unsure what is going to resolve the issue. 

After we scheduled the field technician, another technical support member from Xfinity called to see if they could fix the issue without having to send a field tech out and had me connect directly from the modem to my laptop and once again my download speeds were in the 200-250 range and upload back between 0.5 - 1 mbps. They decided we should wait an hour and will be calling me back in a few minutes.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7