Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR20 wifi keeps dropping

simorame
Tutor

Orbi RBR20 wifi keeps dropping

For the last few months I've been using a Orbi RBR20 router and two satellites in access point mode and until five days ago everything worked smoothly. Unfortunately, after updating the firmware my wifi connection keeps dropping.

I first noticed it on my Samsung Note 10 Lite smartphone, which was (and still is) unable to re-connect after losing the wifi access. Indeed, when I try to reconnect in DHCP mode I always get the message that it wasn't possible to assign an IP address to my phone. Assigning a static IP address usually works in the short run but only temporarily.

Since the first issue with my smartphone, I realized my wifi Orbi network keeps dropping every single day in late afternoon, early evening. I also noticed that the connection of some other devices connected to my LAN via cable can also be affected (for instance, my PS3 and PS4).

So far I tried restarting both my modem/router and my Orbi router and satellites. It usually fixes the problem in the short run but doesn't solve it for good. I also tried to reconfigure my Orby setup from scratch, but that also only worked in the short run. As suggested by other users, I've also assigned a fixed channel to my 2.4GHz wifi network, which was set to 'automatic' by default, but that didn't fix anything either.

In times of smart working and home schooling this is becoming a true nightmare and I don't know what I could do next to try and fix this issue. Any suggestion will therefore be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@simorame wrote:

I  am wondering if switching the Orbi system from AP mode  to  router mode might help fixing the  connection issue.

I do not see that as likely to help.  Since the issue arose after updating firmware, my advice would be to download the previous firmware and install it manually.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 12

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@simorame wrote:

For the last few months I've been using a Orbi RBR20 router and two satellites in access point mode and until five days ago everything worked smoothly. Unfortunately, after updating the firmware my wifi connection keeps dropping.

When the Orbi is in Access Point (AP) mode, DHCP assignment of IP's is done by the router that the Orbi is connected to, not by the Orbi.

Are there settings on the primary router that restrict "new devices" from connecting?

Do you mind describing the primary modem/router (brand,  model)?

Thanks

Message 2 of 12
simorame
Tutor

Thanks for the quick reply @CrimpOn .

I'm using  the modem/router FastGate, provided by my ISP (which is Fastweb in Italy). 

You are right about the  DHCP assignment, but until now the FastGate worked perfectly well with my Orbi router . I don't remember  any wifi connection drop in months.  I might be wrong of course, but cannot help thinking that the  latest firmware update  on my Orbi messed  up something, for the connection issues started shortly  after.

I've just checked  my FastGate settings and  I don't think there is any restriction  active for new devices. I've always been connecting  new devices to my local network with no problem whatsoever.

Message 3 of 12
simorame
Tutor

I  am wondering if switching the Orbi system from AP mode  to  router mode might help fixing the  connection issue.

The main problem is that   I have several devices directly wired to my modem/router. Therefore in order  to use my Orbi  in router mode I should add another switch to my LAN.  I don't  know if that might cause further issues, such as slower speed and/or higher pings, assuming that everything else would work fine.

Message 4 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@simorame wrote:

I do not see that as likely to help.  Since the issue arose after updating firmware, my advice would be to download the previous firmware and install it manually.

Message 5 of 12
simorame
Tutor

@CrimpOn wrote:

@simorame wrote:

Yes, I've just done that, after reading about other users having similar issues following the firmware update. From  my smartphone response I'm hopeful things are back to normal. I switched it back to DHCP mode, turned off and on the wifi and so far it picks the wifi connection straight away with no IP address issues.  Thanks again for your feedback.

Message 6 of 12
simorame
Tutor

Unfortunately it looks like I was too optimistic.  Today I went out of the house and when I got back I realized my smartphone couldn't establish the wifi  connection and I still get  the "unable to assign an IP address" message. It looks like the firmware update  hasn't got anything to do with  the problem with my phone.

So far the other wifi-only home devices, such as my tablet, are working fine but I'll have to check this evening because in the last five days that's when  the wifi connection dropped completely., as if it were a time-related issue.

Message 7 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

After updating firmware a couple of months back suddenly my RB20 satellites drop wifi entirely from the main router. After multiple calls with NG support including two factory resets, dedicating channels for 2.4 and 5 as well as two unsuccessful attempts and downgrading the firmware to a previous version with NG support on the keyboard, today I discovered that this is a know issue with Netgear and that the solution is to wait for the next firmware update.

Trying to backout to the previous firmware will not actually work - the firmware automatically updates during the process of backing out.

Any ideas? Premier support are even stumped at this one.

Message 8 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

After many frustrating hours with Netgear support, it became clearer and clearer that they were not going to be fixing the latest issues with their current firmware updates. So the only choice I had to ensure I have reliable conectivity was to replace the entire setup with another product.

I have had many years of using Netgear products - and they have always been great - that is until they messed up their devices with shoddy firmware and don't allow access to customer care staff. They may make the highest ranked mesh devices, but their long-term support of these devices is unacceptable. And this was only 2 years old!

Message 9 of 12
simorame
Tutor

@Retired_Member wrote:

After updating firmware a couple of months back suddenly my RB20 satellites drop wifi entirely from the main router. After multiple calls with NG support including two factory resets, dedicating channels for 2.4 and 5 as well as two unsuccessful attempts and downgrading the firmware to a previous version with NG support on the keyboard, today I discovered that this is a know issue with Netgear and that the solution is to wait for the next firmware update.

Trying to backout to the previous firmware will not actually work - the firmware automatically updates during the process of backing out.

Any ideas? Premier support are even stumped at this one.

Sorry for the late reply. I don't know what your local network setup is, but for me the solution was switching the Orbi system from AP mode to Router mode. Please check my message in another thread: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Router-not-working-after-3-23-21-update/m-p/2076795/highlight/true#M118033 

I was in deep trouble too, but since doing that everything worked pretty smoothly with my Orbi LAN (fingers crossed).

Good luck!

Message 10 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have tried all the fixes recommended including a factory reset. In the end Netgear support admitted to me that this was a known issue that would not be getting g attention until the next firmware update which had no release date.

I could not continue to live with this as I was loosing revenue to my small home-based consulting services company. I since have replace the entire system with a competitor’s product. Having used Netgear almost exclusively for 20+ years I couldn’t put up with this any longer.
Message 11 of 12
simorame
Tutor

@Retired_Member wrote:
I have tried all the fixes recommended including a factory reset. In the end Netgear support admitted to me that this was a known issue that would not be getting g attention until the next firmware update which had no release date.

I could not continue to live with this as I was loosing revenue to my small home-based consulting services company. I since have replace the entire system with a competitor’s product. Having used Netgear almost exclusively for 20+ years I couldn’t put up with this any longer.

I understand your frustration. Sometimes with technology it can really be overwhelming. Since you have parted ways with Netgear, good luck with your news system and your consulting business. Best wishes.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7