Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 with 3 Satellites (currently)

ks00n
Tutor

Orbi RBR20 with 3 Satellites (currently)

Hi, I recently purchased the Orbi RBS20 router with 2 satellites. However due to coverage, I added another satellite making it 3 in total. I'm thinking of adding 2 more. Is this possible to add more than 3 satellites? Can the problem also be due to the locations that I've placed the satellites? Is there an app that can best determine where each satellite should be placed? Please kindly advise.

Thanks you.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR20 with 3 Satellites (currently)

Users on this forum have reported as many as six satellites on an Orbi system.  There appears to be a "technique" to adding the 4th, 5th, 6th satellites because the "Add an Orbi Satellite" process has space for only three satellites.  By powering off one of the satellites, that opens up a space for one to be added.  Then, the original satellite is powered back on.  To add #5, two satellites are powered off. Etc.

I have not done this myself, and this is what I remember reading on the forum.

The "tool" I used to analyze WiFi performance was a WiFi "Heatmap" application.  I have one called "Netspot" for Windows, but found that carrying a laptop around the house awkward.  There are several Heatmap apps for Android which I installed on a tablet.  I made a diagram of my house for a background and then walked around pressing on the tablet at various locations.  Attached is the diagram showing my Nighthawk R7000, located upstairs in the corner.  That exercise illustrated why the family was complaining about "poor internet" downstairs, and I purchased an Orbi.  Put the satellite downstairs and "problem solved".

It is not trivial to use Heatmap apps, and I have no idea if there are any apps for "Apple things".  But, I am obsessive compulsive and in the Windows - Android camp.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Users on this forum have reported as many as six satellites on an Orbi system.  There appears to be a "technique" to adding the 4th, 5th, 6th satellites because the "Add an Orbi Satellite" process has space for only three satellites.  By powering off one of the satellites, that opens up a space for one to be added.  Then, the original satellite is powered back on.  To add #5, two satellites are powered off. Etc.

I have not done this myself, and this is what I remember reading on the forum.

The "tool" I used to analyze WiFi performance was a WiFi "Heatmap" application.  I have one called "Netspot" for Windows, but found that carrying a laptop around the house awkward.  There are several Heatmap apps for Android which I installed on a tablet.  I made a diagram of my house for a background and then walked around pressing on the tablet at various locations.  Attached is the diagram showing my Nighthawk R7000, located upstairs in the corner.  That exercise illustrated why the family was complaining about "poor internet" downstairs, and I purchased an Orbi.  Put the satellite downstairs and "problem solved".

It is not trivial to use Heatmap apps, and I have no idea if there are any apps for "Apple things".  But, I am obsessive compulsive and in the Windows - Android camp.

Message 2 of 6
ks00n
Tutor

The heatmap thingy is interesting though I don't really understand what it means! lol. Let me try and find the app on the playstore and I'll go figure it out and if all fails, I'll just add another satellite! Thanks a lot!!! 👍😁

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Each Heatmap app seems to have a different "color scheme".  The one I attached used "Red" for highest signal strength, through orange to yellow to green to blue for lowest signal strength.  Another one I have starts with Blue for highest.  (Personally, I like RED for "Hot".)

Message 4 of 6
ks00n
Tutor

Thanks CrimpOn!

With the assumption red for highest signal strength, through orange to yellow to green to blue for lowest signal strength, I suppose I should place the satellite somewhere around the yellow region? Otherwise what signal strength would you best advise for the satellites to be placed? Thanks again! 😊

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Fortunately, the Orbi takes care of that for us.  Move in the direction of the "dead zone" until the "ring light" at the top of the satellite no longer turns BLUE when powered on. (That is too far.)  Generally, people look for a convenient spot between 25 and 35 ft. from the nearest router or satellite.  It needs an electrical outlet and a surface to sit on, so it can't go in the middle of a room or hallway.  Can't be "behind metal that would block the signal path, etc".  The ring light is the key.  BLUE means "good".  Amber means "too far."

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7