Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR20

blkatz1
Aspirant

Orbi RBR20

After spending close to 5 hours in chat and on the phone (with three different technical support folks) they haven't been able to upgrade me to .36 firmware from .26.  I received an email that the firmware update was available, but since I cannot connect my chromebook or smartphone via ethernet to the Orbi device, I have to upgreade via the internet.  But, I can't open the download Netgear had me do, and nothing else seems to work to upgrade the firmware.  And, when I click on firmware upgrade under Advanced on their internet page, it says there's none available!  Now, the rep is saying it's my poor internet connection that is the problem.  Hogwash!  I have never had an issue with upgrading anything except Orbi!  And, it's their router and satellite that supplies the strong signal!! Can't they upgrade it like my phone, tablet, laptop and smartwatch, which is done seemlessly with just one "click?"  Any suggestions would be helpful  Thanks/

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Any chance you have a neighbor, friend or family member near by with a wired PC or laptop that you can use to download the FW files too and access the RBR with a wired connection and use a web browser to send the FW files to the RBR? 

Looks like a wired PC will be need and recommended to use and is preferred when doing a FW update. 

Message 2 of 10
JustMe27
Guide

One line from your post intrigued me:

"But, I can't open the download Netgear had me do, and nothing else seems to work to upgrade the firmware."

I don't think you need to "open" the file. You should have one file designated for the router and one designated for the satellites. Download both files to your home system. Go into the Orbi router using the web interface. Upload the file--as you received it--for the satellites one at a time to each. Do the router file the same way.

Forgive me if I misunderstood your post. I know these things can make one crazy.

Message 3 of 10
blkatz1
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestions, all.  First of all, the mobile app says I don't have a firmware update available.  An email from NG says I do, and so does their website.  I download the firmware zip file, but it won't open with any program on my Chromebook.  I can't even get anything to happen while connecting the chromebook to the Orbi.  Should I ignore the firmware update?  Can't one just update firmware easily over the internet via WiFi like most other devices?

@JustMe27 wrote:

One line from your post intrigued me:

"But, I can't open the download Netgear had me do, and nothing else seems to work to upgrade the firmware."

I don't think you need to "open" the file. You should have one file designated for the router and one designated for the satellites. Download both files to your home system. Go into the Orbi router using the web interface. Upload the file--as you received it--for the satellites one at a time to each. Do the router file the same way.

Forgive me if I misunderstood your post. I know these things can make one crazy.

Message 4 of 10
blkatz1
Aspirant

Does this Orbi have automatice firmware upgrades (vs. manual upgrades)?

Message 5 of 10
JustMe27
Guide

Two things:
1) Yes, there are direct firmware updates for this router. The particular one you are talking about is not one of them. I don’t believe it is a major update.
2) You mentioned that your find yourself unable to open the zip file you have downloaded. Here’s the thing: you don’t want to open that file. Using the web to enter the router, use that interface to upload THE SATELITE ZIP FILE first to the satellites, then THE ROUTER ZIP FILE to the router. USE THE ZIPPED FILES JUST AS THEY ARE. Good luck.
Message 6 of 10
blkatz1
Aspirant

Good advice. Thanks. Seems the NG support desk only had me download one file. Not sure which one. Main unit or satellite? Since all of this has proven to be one large mess, I'll skip this upgrade and let the automatic ones occur should I receive any.
Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Make sure RBR and RBS are using the same version of FW. It's not recommended to use them with different versions of FW between them.

Were you able to get your system up and running correctly? 

@blkatz1 wrote:
Good advice. Thanks. Seems the NG support desk only had me download one file. Not sure which one. Main unit or satellite? Since all of this has proven to be one large mess, I'll skip this upgrade and let the automatic ones occur should I receive any.

Message 8 of 10
blkatz1
Aspirant

My Orbi system works well on the .26 firmware. I don't plan to bother with the .36 version. Wasting 5 hrs. trying to download the new firmware was too much! I'll just wait for auto updates! NG can push the updates to me.
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements