Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR40 2 satellites hard wire internet works but WiFi does not.

Bobby2shoes
Initiate

Orbi RBR40 2 satellites hard wire internet works but WiFi does not.

I have an orbi rbr 40 and it is hooked up to a Xfinity modem. When I use an Ethernet cable from the Xfinity modem to the computer the internet works. When I have the orbi correctly set up and I connect an ethernet cable from the orbi to the computer the internet works.

But for some reason the WiFi aspects of the orbi will not work. It will not let devices connect and the color on top is solid magenta which means no IP address but the internet works when hard wired into the orbi.

The orbi is in AP mode and the internet status says not connected when logged into the orbi, but again hard wire works and WiFi doesn’t . Please help.

Thank you
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Bobby2shoes
Initiate

Ok this is solved.

It was a problem in dealing with Xfinity.
They needed to reset some of the settings that got changed after a power outage and now the system works great.

Essentially the Xfinity modem was acting as a router and not allowing the ORBI to do so.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance? 

Ensure the modems wifi is disabled if the modem has built in wifi. 

Any other wifi devices near by? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enableding Beamforming and MIMO.

@Bobby2shoes wrote:
I have an orbi rbr 40 and it is hooked up to a Xfinity modem. When I use an Ethernet cable from the Xfinity modem to the computer the internet works. When I have the orbi correctly set up and I connect an ethernet cable from the orbi to the computer the internet works.

But for some reason the WiFi aspects of the orbi will not work. It will not let devices connect and the color on top is solid magenta which means no IP address but the internet works when hard wired into the orbi.

The orbi is in AP mode and the internet status says not connected when logged into the orbi, but again hard wire works and WiFi doesn’t . Please help.

Thank you

Message 2 of 5
Chuck_M
Mentor

Has the Orbi ever worked properly (wirelessly)?

If not -- or you are not sure -- chances are it has never been configured properly for your location.

If it has worked until recently, can you attribute any action to its failure?

Your clear answer to these two quesitons will be critical before any assistance can be given.

Message 3 of 5
Bobby2shoes
Initiate

Ok this is solved.

They needed to reset some of the settings that got changed after a power outage and now the system works great.

Essentially the Xfinity modem was acting as a router and not allowing the ORBI to do so.

Hope this helps.
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI about Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Glad it was a ISP issue. Please mark your post thread as solved so others will know for future reference. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Bobby2shoes wrote:
Ok this is solved.

Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7