Reply
labrie85
Aspirant

Orbi RBR40 Drops Connectivity

I have a RBR40 Router running version V2.5.1.22. I have 2 satillites connected, both are RBS20 running firmware verson V2.5.1.16. 

Started loosing connectivity about 2 weeks ago. Thought it was a comcast issue. Comcast replaced the line from the router all the way to the street. My Netgear cable modem CM1000 is showing connected and it appears it hasn't dropped since they replaced the line. 

 

Now I'm having connection issues. The main computer is hard wired via CAT6. I have 23 devices attached, either via ethernet or wifi. 

 

I'm running a Net Uptime Monitor which logs all dropped signals. Over the past 12-20 hours this is when and how long:

 

900pm - 24 seconds

910pm - 3 sec

921pm - 1:31 minutes

939pm - 5 sec

1013am - 12 sec

1048am - 25 sec

1048am - 4 sec

1049am - 11 sec

1049am-1:19 minutes

 

Please give me some ideas and things to try and resolve this.  

 

Thanks! 

JL

 

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR40 Drops Connectivity

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

 

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 2 of 8
DarkNet
Star

Re: Orbi RBR40 Drops Connectivity

Hi JL.  Im not familiar with Net Uptime Monitor.  Does it monitor the internet connection at your router?  Or does it measure internet connectivity through the modem and router to one of your LAN devices (eg main computer)?  A dropped signal due to your router may not affect the signal received at your modem from your ISP.  Does your CM1000 have logs that are accessible to correlate with the Net Uptime Monitor output?  It’s hard to tell what might be going on from your listed timeouts but it could be the ISP is having issues.  A few seconds here and there makes me think its something on their end.  Does this situation continue over several hours? Does it correlate with any sort of weather condition?   Is this a new setup for you or has this equipment been in place and running well for a period of time?  Do your RBS20’s turn magenta in color and if so do they resync fairly quickly to your RBR40?  If the results you show are ongoing and consistent, you might try temporarily substituting another (older, cheaper, spare, etc) router for the RBR40 and see if that changes anything.  Your RBS20's would be useless during this test.

 

PS - There are new firmware updates for the RBS20 and the RBR40 you might try

Message 3 of 8
labrie85
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR40 Drops Connectivity


@FURRYe38 wrote:

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

 

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 


First off, thank you for your help. 

1. ISP has confirmed today that everything is configured properly on their end. They doubled checked the MAC and Serial # of the modem and it's properly setup. 

2. Their's no splitters. It goes directly from the pole to the house through a NEW lightning arrestor with correct filter. 

3. Not sure what they used for cable. It's comcast and they ran a new cable from pole to house and from lighning arrestor to the inside. The cable from outisde to inside is maybe 5-10 feet run at most. 

4. The modem was reset today when I talked to comcast. (Still dropping on the router side of things) 

5. I logged in locally to the Netgear CM1000 router and the uptime has been 8 hours. So it appear's their is internet coming into the house and their's no issue on that side of things. It now appears to be an issue between the modem and router. 

6. My house is 2000 square feet

7. Distance between the router and satalites is no more than 30 feet, probably any where between 5-15. 

8. 2.4 ghz ch is Auto and 5ghz ch is 48. I will change the 2.4 ghz to 1 and I changed the 5 to 44. (It appears wifi is working fine within the house, when the internet dropps connectivity our wifi devices stay connected)

9. Beamforming and MIMO are now enhabled. 

10. A factory reset has not been performed. I guess that's my next solution. Start from scratch. 

11. I have disabled any of the settings you suggested. 

 

Wish me luck! 

 

 

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR40 Drops Connectivity


@labrie85 wrote:


First off, thank you for your help. 

1. ISP has confirmed today that everything is configured properly on their end. They doubled checked the MAC and Serial # of the modem and it's properly setup. 

2. Their's no splitters. It goes directly from the pole to the house through a NEW lightning arrestor with correct filter. 

3. Not sure what they used for cable. It's comcast and they ran a new cable from pole to house and from lighning arrestor to the inside. The cable from outisde to inside is maybe 5-10 feet run at most. 

4. The modem was reset today when I talked to comcast. (Still dropping on the router side of things) 

5. I logged in locally to the Netgear CM1000 router and the uptime has been 8 hours. So it appear's their is internet coming into the house and their's no issue on that side of things. It now appears to be an issue between the modem and router. 

6. My house is 2000 square feet

7. Distance between the router and satalites is no more than 30 feet, probably any where between 5-15. <this is too close. 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 

8. 2.4 ghz ch is Auto and 5ghz ch is 48. I will change the 2.4 ghz to 1 and I changed the 5 to 44. (It appears wifi is working fine within the house, when the internet dropps connectivity our wifi devices stay connected)

9. Beamforming and MIMO are now enhabled. 

10. A factory reset has not been performed. I guess that's my next solution. Start from scratch. 

11. I have disabled any of the settings you suggested. 

 

Wish me luck! 

 

 


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 5 of 8
labrie85
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR40 Drops Connectivity


@DarkNet wrote:

Hi JL.  Im not familiar with Net Uptime Monitor.  Does it monitor the internet connection at your router?  Or does it measure internet connectivity through the modem and router to one of your LAN devices (eg main computer)?  A dropped signal due to your router may not affect the signal received at your modem from your ISP.  Does your CM1000 have logs that are accessible to correlate with the Net Uptime Monitor output?  It’s hard to tell what might be going on from your listed timeouts but it could be the ISP is having issues.  A few seconds here and there makes me think its something on their end.  Does this situation continue over several hours? Does it correlate with any sort of weather condition?   Is this a new setup for you or has this equipment been in place and running well for a period of time?  Do your RBS20’s turn magenta in color and if so do they resync fairly quickly to your RBR40?  If the results you show are ongoing and consistent, you might try temporarily substituting another (older, cheaper, spare, etc) router for the RBR40 and see if that changes anything.  Your RBS20's would be useless during this test.

 

PS - There are new firmware updates for the RBS20 and the RBR40 you might try


 

 

I've attached a snap shot of the Modem's log from yesterday. Their are a couple of warnings and errors. Maybe you could decifer. 

1. The Net Uptime Monitor's internet connection and alerts me when failures in my internet connection and recordst their exact time and length. Here's some more info about the program: https://netuptimemonitor.com/details/

2. See the attached picture with the log. I noticed when the connectivity dropped the modem did not loose connection as indicated by the lights on the front of the modem. The modem has been up and running for 20 hours at this time. 

3. I've checked with my ISP and they have informed me everything is working on their end. They even replaced the cable outside. They've checked the MAC / Serial # of my modem with their system and everything correlates correctly. 

4. It dropped last night around 11 and 4am. It also ranged from 3 seconds to 21 seconds. 

5. I havn't noticed them turning any colors and when I did a factory reset last night all the satilites synced back very quick. 

6. I may have to use the Comcast router and monitor with that. 

 

It's to bad because I spent alot of money on this Netgear stuff. I did a full factory reset on the Orbi last night. But still having dropped connectivity. I have a feeling their's a communication issue between the modem and orbi. Or is their an internal issue with the orbi. 

 

Thanks again! 

 

 

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR40 Drops Connectivity

You might have the ISP check there logs and see if there logs are seeing any drops during this time frame...

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 7 of 8
DarkNet
Star

Re: Orbi RBR40 Drops Connectivity

You’re getting multiple QAM/QSPK errors.  That’s between your modem and your ISP.  Nothing to do with your Orbi.  Also, the MACs shown are for your cable modem (CM) and the upstream CMTS (cable modem termination system).  This is an ISP and/or modem issue.  There is also a CCAP power level warning.  This is a physical layer or ISP network problem.

 

 Have you shown these logs to your ISP?  An outage of only a few seconds can be difficult to pin down.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 210 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements