Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR40 - Login lockout after incorrect password attempts?

brycarp
Follower

Orbi RBR40 - Login lockout after incorrect password attempts?

I had not logged into my central Orbi router (RBR40) for several months. I thought I could remember or soon guess what admin password I had used. I had no success, so then I checked in a place I might have written it down, and the password was there. But now nothing lets me in. The correct password doesn't work, and also password recovery using the serial number and the answers to two security questions also doesn't work. As I recall there was a bunch of setting up I did to get my satellite routers all "joined" with this, etc. So I'd really like not to do a factory reset. Given that nothing is working now to let me in even though I've now found the correct password, my question is whether there's some lockout time period after a certain number of unsuccessful login attempts, and whether I just have to wait in order to be allowed in.

If there is not something like a "temporary lockout after x incorrect attempts" then what the heck? Anyone else experience this situation?

Thanks,

B

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the router and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping. 

Message 2 of 7

This message response won't let me set RBR40 as the Model I have.  It's like it's invisible.

The fact is the RBR40 series has serious issues with the password and "saved questions".  I DID write this information down.  I KNOW what my password and answers to questions are.

And yet I routinely cannot login to this **bleep**ty system despite a number of firmware upgrades (including TWO this last week, the first of which was a huge problem as apparently Netgear found out after shoving it into our systems).

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in until the top led turns on AMBER then let go. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate, then log in to orbilogin.com using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard.

@Chitowndude wrote:

This message response won't let me set RBR40 as the Model I have.  It's like it's invisible.

The fact is the RBR40 series has serious issues with the password and "saved questions".  I DID write this information down.  I KNOW what my password and answers to questions are.

And yet I routinely cannot login to this **bleep**ty system despite a number of firmware upgrades (including TWO this last week, the first of which was a huge problem as apparently Netgear found out after shoving it into our systems).

Message 4 of 7
Horn43
Aspirant

I’m having the exact same issue.  My RBR40 with 3 satellites I set up last week I’m finding is giving me problems.  Some websites I try to go to ask for the username and password along with a message that it will send it non-encrypted.  In fact, the Apple App Store won’t work either.

Some reading is telling me that I need to turn off the WiFi from my modem in addition I need to turn my Orbi router to an access point.  In order to change it to an AP I have to login to Orbilogin.com.  

When I try to log in at orbilogin.com it won’t accept my username and password.

I reset the whole system using a paper clip to depress the button in the back till the amber light glowed and reset up the whole system from scratch.  

And you guessed it, I wasted all this time and still get the same issue.  I can not log in to Orbilogin.com

I’m about to throw this crap away, cut my losses, find an alternative and tell everyone I know to not waste their time on Orbi.

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Horn43 wrote:

And you guessed it, I wasted all this time and still get the same issue.  I can not log in to Orbilogin.com

Are you using the Orbi web interface or the Orbi "app" to set up the Orbi system?

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Horn43 wrote:

I’m having the exact same issue.  My RBR40 with 3 satellites I set up last week I’m finding is giving me problems.  Some websites I try to go to ask for the username and password along with a message that it will send it non-encrypted.  In fact, the Apple App Store won’t work either.

Some reading is telling me that I need to turn off the WiFi from my modem in addition I need to turn my Orbi router to an access point.  In order to change it to an AP I have to login to Orbilogin.com.  

When I try to log in at orbilogin.com it won’t accept my username and password.

I reset the whole system using a paper clip to depress the button in the back till the amber light glowed and reset up the whole system from scratch.  

I’m about to throw this crap away, cut my losses, find an alternative and tell everyone I know to not waste their time on Orbi.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7