Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR40 - New Password Issue

KenKY
Aspirant

Orbi RBR40 - New Password Issue

I have a curious issue that I am not sure of the explaination or resolution.  I recently got the RBR40 with satelite and I renamed the router name and changed the password.  When I tried to logon to the new WIFI name, all devices see the new name but about half the devices do NOT accept the new password but DO accept the old password.  I rebooted the devices and still the same result.   My iphone took the new password,  on my wife's iphone I had to use the new name and old password to connect.  Both Firesticks required the old password.

When I log into the Router via web or use the Orbi app both of these show the new SSID and new password. 

Any comments on how/why this is happening?

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
KenKY
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR40 - New Password Issue

FYI- just did a chat with Netgear support.  After trying a manual firmwear upgrade did not resolve it, I re-entered the same new password via the router login and re-applied it and that seemed to take care of the issue.  Resolved!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried to remove the old SSID from the devices wireless settings?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
KenKY
Aspirant

Hi Darren,

To clarify- it the same Orbi SSID that some devices take the new password I set and some devices did not take it but took the old Orbi password (with new Orbi SSID).  It doesn't make any sense to me.  I'm assuming then the original SSID and password was change the change is communicated to the satelite.  

To review, let say the orginal SSID is ORBI123 and renamed it to ORBI345 and the original password was apple1234 and I renamed it to orange5678.  The ORBI345 shows on all devices when I search networks, but a few devices will not accept the new password but the original password DOES work.  So I have all devices connected to the same SSID but a few of them have different passwords.   If I login to the router it correctly shows the new SSID and new password.   Crazy!

Message 3 of 4
KenKY
Aspirant

FYI- just did a chat with Netgear support.  After trying a manual firmwear upgrade did not resolve it, I re-entered the same new password via the router login and re-applied it and that seemed to take care of the issue.  Resolved!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7