Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR40 No wifi when computer is off

orionrph
Aspirant

Orbi RBR40 No wifi when computer is off

I'm a networking newbie and need some help. When my computer is off, when wifi is off as well. I've got my Orbi connected to the modem and my computer connects to the wifi wirelessly. There are 18 devices connected to the network normally. When I shut down my computer, the wifi signal ceases and the satellites turn magenta. The Orbi router stays powered and its LED blinks white like it is rebooting. I don't understand the problem. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate the input. Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

When computer is off WiFi coming from the Orbi should remain ON always. 

Message 2 of 11
orionrph
Aspirant

Firmware v2.3.5.30

Modem Arris model BGW210

Orbi is in router mode.

Another thing of note: Whenever I put my computer in sleep mode, it wakes up within 5 seconds. I then investigated and found that my computer's network card was waking the computer. I then disabled "allow this device to wake computer" and the computer would no longer wake, but the wifi was off from Orbi. So, I've just left my computer on until the problem with the wifi is fixed. I use Windows 10.

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

I recommemd trying option #3...

Message 4 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Are you able to connect a computer to the Orbi with an ethernet cable?  (I have a 75' ethernet cable that I string through the house for "projects", but only when the family is not home).

How was the Orbi set up?  (using computer and web interface or with Orbi "app")

Message 5 of 11
orionrph
Aspirant

I have connected the computer to the Orbi with an ethernet cable (disconnecting the computer to the wifi, of course), but the same problem exists. When I turn off the computer, the wifi network goes down.

I setup the Orbi with the same computer I'm having this issue with. I feel it is something I did when I setup, but I have no clue what it is.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to ensure your modem is configured as suggested and then configure the orbi accordingly. 

If the modems wifi is running as well, this could be causing problems. 

I recommend you try option ## for your Orbi and your modem. 

@orionrph wrote:

I have connected the computer to the Orbi with an ethernet cable (disconnecting the computer to the wifi, of course), but the same problem exists. When I turn off the computer, the wifi network goes down.

I setup the Orbi with the same computer I'm having this issue with. I feel it is something I did when I setup, but I have no clue what it is.

Thanks.

Message 7 of 11
orionrph
Aspirant

I have AT&T coming on Monday. I will have them turn off the wifi radio on the modem. I will then go from there.

Message 8 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Would this by any chance be a FIOS fiber service?

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have the modems wifi running in close proximity, then this maybe causing Orbi Wifi to stop working correctly. 

@orionrph wrote:

I have AT&T coming on Monday. I will have them turn off the wifi radio on the modem. I will then go from there.

Message 10 of 11
orionrph
Aspirant

It is AT&T internet and it is fiber optic, but I don't think it is FIOS.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7