Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR40/RBS40 not syncing

carpyd7
Aspirant

Orbi RBR40/RBS40 not syncing

Hello Netgear comunity.

I have been running my Orbi RBR40 with an RBS40 with access control on in standard mesh config for about 3 years now with no issues.  Recently (about 2 days ago) my satellite refuses to "sync" with the router.  In my routers webpage It shows a good connection over 5G as expected.  However, anytime a device connects through the satellite it gets denied access to the internet (access control kicks in).  All devices are approved in the router but it does not seem to matter.  This leads me to believe that even though the backhaul status is good and devices can connect; the settings are not being synced between the router and satellite.

I've attempted:

• re-sync manually with button
  • Turn satellite on/off then sync with button
  • factory reset satellite then re-sync via webpage

For now, I have powered off the satellite and all devices are connecting fine outside of the deadzones now created by not having my satellite running.

Has anyone run into a similar issue or have an idea for a fix?

Thanks!!

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR40/RBS40 not syncing

@carpyd7 wrote:

This leads me to believe that even though the backhaul status is good and devices can connect; the settings are not being synced between the router and satellite.

For now, I have powered off the satellite and all devices are connecting fine outside of the deadzones now created by not having my satellite running.

I believe the conclusion is incorrect.  When the router Attached Devices page shows the satellite connection as Good, then the satellite is in fact synched to the router. Satellites process only the WiFi connection process (SSID/password).  Access control is handled entirely on the router.

Given the same circumstances, I would have opted to disable Access Control rather than unplug a satellite.  How is some random device going to connect to this Orbi system?  Are hackers from Mission Impossible (or 'Russians') so interested in your home WiFi?  I have looked into hacking WPA2 security, and it is not trivial.

We usually ask, "What happened?"  Two days ago, devices that connect correctly to the router fail to get internet when connected to the satellite? Was the Orbi firmware updated?  Is it every device, or only one device?  When Attached Devices shows something connected to the satellite, how does it appear in Attached Devices? (Allowed or Blocked)?  How does it appear in the advanced tab Access Control table?

Message 2 of 6
carpyd7
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

I believe the conclusion is incorrect.  When the router Attached Devices page shows the satellite connection as Good, then the satellite is in fact synched to the router. Satellites process only the WiFi connection process (SSID/password).  Access control is handled entirely on the router.

While I agree here it really doesn't explain why when I wire into my Router with an approved device I can access the router webpage and get the "blocked by access control" when i try to open the satellite webpage.

@CrimpOn wrote:

Given the same circumstances, I would have opted to disable Access Control rather than unplug a satellite.  How is some random device going to connect to this Orbi system?  Are hackers from Mission Impossible (or 'Russians') so interested in your home WiFi?  I have looked into hacking WPA2 security, and it is not trivial.

Disabling access control kind of proves my point though?  When disabled all devices work on the satellite and the router.  When enabled only devices connected to the router funciton properly.  Also, sure the likelihood of of someone "breaking in" are approximately 0% but its a function netgear provides and I payed for so why should I be forced to disable it?  Turning off the satellite is a temporary solution as I try to navigate why so access control is failing.

@CrimpOn wrote:

We usually ask, "What happened?"  Two days ago, devices that connect correctly to the router fail to get internet when connected to the satellite? Was the Orbi firmware updated?  Is it every device, or only one device?  When Attached Devices shows something connected to the satellite, how does it appear in Attached Devices? (Allowed or Blocked)?  How does it appear in the advanced tab Access Control table?

I only updated the firmware today after a few days of not being able to resolve the issue.  So both the router and satellite are now at the latest rev 2.6.2.104.  Yes, every device when it switches from router to satellite loses access.  All devices appear in attached devices and the access control table as expected.  Known devices are all allowed.

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@carpyd7 wrote:

While I agree here it really doesn't explain why when I wire into my Router with an approved device I can access the router webpage and get the "blocked by access control" when i try to open the satellite webpage.

That is certainly strange.  In addition to the router webpage, this wired device can browse the internet, etc.  The only thing that brings up the Access Control message is accessing the satellite webpage?

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@carpyd7 wrote:

Turning off the satellite is a temporary solution as I try to navigate why so access control is failing.

This is fine.  Many people who post have family units that rapidly become unhappy when they cannot use the internet.

A web search for "Blocked by Access Control" turns up lots of hits. It appears that aside from disabling Access Control, most of the responses recommend doing a Factory Reset on the router.  Depending on how much has been done to customize the router configuration, this can be a 15 minute task or a 3 hour ordeal.  My first step in that direction is to save a copy of the config, do a Factory Reset, then set the router up and reload the saved config.  NOTE: I deliberately do not set the WiFi SSID/password during the process.  That would allow devices to connect to the WiFi and get God knows what IP address.  The router automatically reboots when a saved config is loaded and this sets the SSID/password. Then devices get the IP addresses that I have defined in the LAN setup table.

Router firmware is a maze of interlocking web code and processes running at the same time.  If some weird combination of events messed up the firmware in memory, sometimes the reset will clear everything back to normal.

Message 5 of 6
carpyd7
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

That is certainly strange.  In addition to the router webpage, this wired device can browse the internet, etc.  The only thing that brings up the Access Control message is accessing the satellite webpage?

That is correct.  Since I'm direct connected to the router i have no issues.  Now if i were to wire into the satellite, I can get to the satellite webpage but not to the internet etc.. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7