Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR40 VERY SLOW WITH BOTH ETHERNET AND WIFI

parramp
Aspirant

Orbi RBR40 VERY SLOW WITH BOTH ETHERNET AND WIFI

My Orbi RBR40 is operating very slow.

I have a 1GBS Fiber connection so I get 700-800 MBS both upload and download from the line in.

Through the router and ethernet to my pc, I am getting speeds in the 20-40 Gbs range download and 60-80 upload

Wifi is approximately the same speed

All of my firmware is updated and am running V2.5.1.22

This is terrible speeds, if I can only get this speed from this system, I am wasting my money on the 1Gbs service. 

This system used to get ethernet speeds of 600-700 mbs download and upload and WIFI in the 250-300 range which was acceptable to me for wifi.

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 16
vajim
Master

When did you notice the slow down?

modem?

was the Orbi firmware recently updated?

Message 2 of 16
plemans
Guru

What gateway are you connected to? 

Make sure to have access controls, qos, parental controls, traffic monitoring all disabled. If they were enabled, disable and reboot the router. 

Message 3 of 16
parramp
Aspirant

Noticed the slowdown at the beginning of December

no modem, only cat 5 coming in from the router

Router is the Orbi.

It is definitely the router, because i direct connected the cat 5 to my pc and got over 800 download speed

firmware update not recently, I am however running the most current version of the firmware

Message 4 of 16
parramp
Aspirant

None of that was enabled, and I did disconnect the power for 5 min and let the router reboot.

Message 5 of 16
parramp
Aspirant

ISP is LUSFiber

Gateway is the Orbi Router.

Message 6 of 16
plemans
Guru

@parramp wrote:

firmware update not recently, I am however running the most current version of the firmware

You're actually not on the most recent. Not saying the version you're on is bad but the most current is 2.6.1.36

Orbi RBK40 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support

And that fibre connects to some type of ONT. Do you know what ont/gateway it is? 

Message 7 of 16
parramp
Aspirant

How do I upgrade to the most recent firmware.

And, no I am sorry, I am not an IT expert, I do not know what an ont/gateway is.

What I know is LUS has a fiber J-box installed outside and from there Cat 5 to my office.

Cat 5 is connected to the internet input on the Orbi, then i have Cat 5 outputs to a television, Alarm router and PC.

Everything else is wifi from orbi.

Message 8 of 16
plemans
Guru

You can manually update. 

How do I manually upgrade firmware on my Orbi router using orbilogin.com? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

when did it start slowing down? 

Were you able to hit full speeds on the orbi prior? 

how are you speedtesting? wired? wireless? 

What site and device are you testing on? 

Message 9 of 16
parramp
Aspirant

when did it start slowing down?  I noticed it getting worse in early December

Were you able to hit full speeds on the orbi prior?  - Yes, ethernet connected would get 7-800 Mbs and WIFI in the 300 mbs range

how are you speedtesting? wired? wireless? both

What site and device are you testing on? Macbook pro for the ethernet connected pc and typically use Speedtest.net site.  Wifi using a dell PC sitting withing 10 inches of the router and i used multiple speed test sites.  I have also done speed tests with my iphone for the wifi using the speedtest app and the results are all similar.

Message 10 of 16
plemans
Guru

did you try the updating the firmware option? 

sometimes a factory reset after the update helps. 

Message 11 of 16
parramp
Aspirant

I have not done a manual update of the firmware.  Reading your responses above, i got the impression that my firmware was an acceptable version and the release notes only discussed fixes to security issues. If you recommend that i update, i can certainly do that.

And after the update, I will do a factory reset.

Message 12 of 16
vajim
Master

@parramp wrote:

I have not done a manual update of the firmware. 

How then did the firmware become updated?

Message 13 of 16
parramp
Aspirant

I did update it through the iphone app.

I did not update via the procedure in one of the previous answeres, I did not go to manual downloads and down load the file like that.  I just had the app search for the updates then hit update.

Message 14 of 16
vajim
Master

@parramp wrote:

I did update it through the iphone app.

I did not update via the procedure in one of the previous answeres, I did not go to manual downloads and down load the file like that.  I just had the app search for the updates then hit update.

updating the firmware through the iphone app is considered a 'manual' update.

FYI...according to Netgear (about a year ago), when a firmware contains major security updates, they will auto push.  Auto push requires NO action by the user.  It can happen over night while you sleep.

Message 15 of 16
Emonson
Guide

Did you ever resolve this. I have the same issue. Was working fine about a month ago but now I am getting about half the download speed.
Ethernet direct into modem I get 470Mbos download - Ethernet or WiFi into the Orbi I get 80 to 90.
I’ve done a factory reset on the orbi but no change.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7