Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR40 & Orbi RBS40 2.0 Firmware? Where Is It? Horrible Support!

tkrussell
Follower

Orbi RBR40 & Orbi RBS40 2.0 Firmware? Where Is It? Horrible Support!

Ok,

RBR40 Router and 2 RBS40 Sattelites purchased at Best Buy for $500 in June.

So I'll make this simple, Netgear needs to step up and provide support for their $500 product(s).

Like many others, I was very happy with the system on purchase. Firmware was updated to the .18 Fimware Release and since then consistent drop outs, reboots, and resets. I've placed multiple calls and went through multiple chats and still have the same problems.

After researching online extensively, (forums, fansites, Reddit) found out many others have the same problems and the consensus is that it is the last Firmware update is the culprit from EVERYONE. Of course, there is no acknowledgment of this from Netgear.

Now if I could have rolled back the firmware to the previous update, I would have been happy to wait for a fix. However, of course, as we all know, the Routers update themselves to the latest broken version of the Firmware within minutes with no way to stop short of Tele into the routers and risk bricking them.

Ok, I say to my wife. We will just have to wait this out and we have put up with the problems for weeks. Have logged in every day and followed the forums and other sites online waiting for 2.0 update that we are all praying will fix the problems.

Saw the post about 2.0 update. Yeah!! Finally!!! Log into Router and see prompt for update. Go to update page and says no update available. So, go to download page on Netgear. NOTHING! There is a Dropbox link in the announcement for the Firmware in this forum but it has been pulled/taken down. SERIOUSLY?!!I

It’s bad enough that Netgear only supplies 90 days of support for their product but to release a firmware update that essentially bricks/destroys their product that you can’t stop and then fails to acknowledge or fix their problem quickly is OUTRAGEOUS!

At this point I am at my wit's end and looking for ANY help or support from Netgear that will fix this Router and Sattelites and get it back to where it was, (at the very least), when I purchased it.

Sorry for the long rant, but I feel I can’t be alone in my frustration and cries for help with this whole mess after the last few weeks. Thank you for you time and help in this matter.

Message 1 of 5
msvirick
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR40 & Orbi RBS40 2.0 Firmware? Where Is It? Horrible Support!

Now I am scared to open  the box that  I have not opened and bought from Bestbuy for $700 (including tax) in Canada. If I going to break my present system. It will be shame.

I am at a quandry

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 2 of 5
timch
Luminary

Well if it helps, I think the Orbi is fantastic and when I had a problem a few months ago, the support from Netgear was great. 

Message 3 of 5
st_shaw
Master

@msvirick wrote:

Now I am scared to open  the box that  I have not opened and bought from Bestbuy for $700 (including tax) in Canada. If I going to break my present system. It will be shame.

I am at a quandry

Quit reading this forum and go setup your Orbi.  I've had mine for nine months with zero problems.

Message 4 of 5
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

RBR40 Router and 2 RBS40 Sattelites purchased at Best Buy for $500 in June.

So I'll make this simple, Netgear needs to step up and provide support for their $500 product(s).

I agree with you here - I did contact their support and was more than a little frustrated with their methodology of troubleshooting. They asked me to try 4 different MTU settings for a problem related to the disconnects when I enabled UPnP. This did not seem reasonable to me since I know all my devices are set to standard MTU. I would have thought they could either replicate the issue in their lab and provide a solution or they could capture a log to determine what is actually happening. I finally closed the case and decided to keep UPnP off.

Saw the post about 2.0 update. Yeah!! Finally!!! Log into Router and see prompt for update. Go to update page and says no update available. So, go to download page on Netgear. NOTHING! There is a Dropbox link in the announcement for the Firmware in this forum but it has been pulled/taken down.

I don't believe they have pulled it, at least I can still download off those Dropbox links. I am sure 2.0 is imminent, they are slowly rolling it out as far as I am aware still. I cannot explain why you saw the update and now don't, I have not seen it yet but did install from the dropbox files.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7