Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR40 and FIOS Question

GreenNinja
Aspirant

Orbi RBR40 and FIOS Question

I set up the Orbi with my Verizon network per the instructions on this forum (i.e., I turned off the Verizon Fios wireless network and then set up the Orbi router in AP mode.)  I have internet, TV and phone through Verizon Fios.  Should the Verizon router still be visible and joinable after going through these steps?  It currently is so you can get on wifi using either Orbi or the Verizon router.  I just want to make sure I have the set-up correct to maximize performance.  Thanks in advance for what is probably a fairly basic question that I could not find information on.

Message 1 of 11
Roamabout
Luminary

It sounds like the wifi on the Verizon router did not get turned off if you can still see it and connect to it. Double check that it is disabled in the router config and if you still see the ssid being broadcast reboot the verizon router.

Message 2 of 11
jmschnur923
Luminary

The fios router will still be your gateway. Your Ethernet connections Can use that. Keeping the WiFi off in the fios router is important.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 3 of 11
GreenNinja
Aspirant

Thanks to you both for your responses.  I checked that the WiFi access was turned off on the Fios modem/router and the network is still showing up as available even after rebooting the Verizon WiFi modem/router.  

Message 4 of 11
GreenNinja
Aspirant

Thanks.. does this response mean that the Fios router should remain visible as a visible WiFi option?  Thanks for your help with this.

Message 5 of 11
Roamabout
Luminary

If you have truly disabled the wifi on the Verizon router you should not be seeing it as an option to connect to. Are you sure it is not one of your neighbors ?

Message 6 of 11
GreenNinja
Aspirant

I believe I've figured it out.. we had a network extender that was still plugged-in and that was making the network available.. once I unplugged the extender the option to join the network on through the Verizon router was unavailable.  Thanks for your help with this.

Message 7 of 11
ubtchanova
Aspirant

So I followed all the steps to setup the RBR50 and satellite to work in conjunction with my FiOS Quantum Gateway G-1100 Router. I turned off wi-fi for the G-1100, but in checking settings for the ORBI, it was still in Router Mode, not AP Mode. So... if I go ahead and change from Router Mode to AP Mode, am I going to screw something up... like not receiving FiOS television any longer?  (See attached PNG file.) Thanks for responding.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

No, should be ok to get to AP mode.

Have you tried using the DMZ on the FIOS router for yoru Orbi router in router mode? This works for this kind of configuration as well.

@ubtchanova wrote:

So I followed all the steps to setup the RBR50 and satellite to work in conjunction with my FiOS Quantum Gateway G-1100 Router. I turned off wi-fi for the G-1100, but in checking settings for the ORBI, it was still in Router Mode, not AP Mode. So... if I go ahead and change from Router Mode to AP Mode, am I going to screw something up... like not receiving FiOS television any longer?  (See attached PNG file.) Thanks for responding.

Message 9 of 11
ubtchanova
Aspirant

Thank you. No idea what DMZ is so will accept that I've changed to AP mode and things appear to be working just fine. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

When you have two routers on the same network, the 1st one can support DMZ option so that the 2nd router isn't impacted by any NAT from the 1st router. 

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/nat.htm

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Networking-101-The-DMZ-137550

If your seem to experience connection problems with applications or gaming, you can try this at that point. 

Good Luck. 

@ubtchanova wrote:

Thank you. No idea what DMZ is so will accept that I've changed to AP mode and things appear to be working just fine. Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7