Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR40 and modifying connection types

Doug750
Follower

Orbi RBR40 and modifying connection types

I have both a Main network and a Guest network set up.  I have 9 devices set up in my main network.  "Connection types" are either 5G or 2.5G.

My question is this: Is there a way I can manually assign a device to either a 5G or 2.5G "connection type"?  I am willing to prioritize some devices, like phone or video doorbell over my tablets, but I cannot find if I can change "connection types" under either the "basic" tab or the "advanced" tab.  Is there a way?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR40 and modifying connection types

@Doug750 wrote:

Is there a way I can manually assign a device to either a 5G or 2.5G "connection type"?

There is no method for the Orbi to force a device to a particular connection type. Sorry.  (MANY people have expresssed interest in this over the past four years).

Some devices, such as most "Internet of Things" (IoT) have only a 2.4G radio chip in them and thus can only connect to the Orbi at 2.4G.

Devices capable of both WiFi bands will conduct a dialog with the WiFi access point and the device will determine which band it wants.

There may be some devices that have software that can restrict what band the device can use. (But, I have never run across such a device personally.)

Assigning a device to a WiFi band has nothing to do with priority.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
alokeprasad
Mentor

The frequency used depends on the client device.  Devices that connect only to 2.4 Ghz are oblivious to the presence of 5 GHz network and will use 2.4 GHz.  The devices that can use both will use 5 GHz, which is usually the better choice (higher speed, capacity to handle more devices "simultaneously").  Hiowever, 2.4 GHz can penetrate walls better and has greater range.

In certain cases, if the device that used both frequencies is at a fixed location, like a doorbell or security cam, and at a distance where the 5GHz is crowded or weak, you can make it connect to a particular one, say 2.4 GHz by

1) using the web interface of the Orbi and going to Advanced-Advanced setup-Wireless setting and disabling the SSID broadcast of the 5 GHz network

2) making the client device "forget" the wifi network it is connected to

3) Reconnecting the device to the wifi network.  Because of the lack of 5 GHz SSID broadcast, it will connect to 2.4 Ghz

5) Re-enable the SSID broadcast that you turned off in step 1.

It is possible that in the future, the client will "rediscover" the 5 GHz network and switch over.  Much depends on the implementation of the WiFi in the client device.

Generally, let the Orbi and the devices work itself out as to how they connect and roam as you move the devices, unless you have a good reason not to.  They do a pretty god job.

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

@Doug750 wrote:

Is there a way I can manually assign a device to either a 5G or 2.5G "connection type"?

There is no method for the Orbi to force a device to a particular connection type. Sorry.  (MANY people have expresssed interest in this over the past four years).

Some devices, such as most "Internet of Things" (IoT) have only a 2.4G radio chip in them and thus can only connect to the Orbi at 2.4G.

Devices capable of both WiFi bands will conduct a dialog with the WiFi access point and the device will determine which band it wants.

There may be some devices that have software that can restrict what band the device can use. (But, I have never run across such a device personally.)

Assigning a device to a WiFi band has nothing to do with priority.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7