Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR40 cannot login

Rarophil
Aspirant

Orbi RBR40 cannot login

My Orbi RBR40 is downloading data continuously and I cannot stop it, except by physically pulling the power cable or the ethernet cable.

1) I've tried logging in to it via orbilogin.com but I just get the standard "can't login, but don't worry..." message. None of the suggestions there works.

2) I have also tried logging in using its current DHCP address 192.168.1.4 (as shown by my DGN4000 router).

3) I have turned off or physically shut down all the devices in my house that may possbly use WiFi - tablets , phones, Roku, movie server, printer, laptop.

4) It is downloading at the rate of about 1GB per hour (and I have a 45GB cap)

5) I have reset the main Orbi to its factory condition but still cannot login to it.

5) the problem began when I returned from a holiday and witched the power back on to the Orbi.

What can I do now?

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Disconnect the WAN port from the ISP modem. Press in the reset button in back of the router until the top LED turns Yellow, then let go. After the Top LED slowly starts to blink, you should have access at 192.168.1.1 or at orbilogin.com in a web browser with a LAN cable PC connected to the router. I would disconnect all other devices as well accept for this one wired PC so you can get it set up again. Walk thru the set up wizard and be sure to input a new admin PW. https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

You maybe effected by this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers/Security-Advisory-for-VPNFilter-Malware-on-Som...

Message 2 of 10
Rarophil
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply but I think you have misunderstood my problem - likely as I used a misleading Subject!

My problem is that I cannot login to my Orbi. The orbi connects without problem to my DGN4000 router but is downloading something continuously and has been whenever it has been switched on over the last six days. It had downloaded about 30GB before I noticed the problem.

I've done a factory reset but to no avail.

Right now my router shows the Orbi at 192.168.1.6 but if I ping that the request just times out - 4 packets sent 0 received 100% loss

Phil

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the DGN4000 your main router and the ORbi in AP mode or Router mode? 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 4 of 10
Rarophil
Aspirant

As far as I know my Orbi does not have a router built in.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

YOur Orbi has a router as it is a router and wifi device. So is your modem...This presents two routers on the same line. 

Please review the suggestions in my prior post...

Message 6 of 10
Rarophil
Aspirant

You are correct - so I will investigate as you suggest. - Phil

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 10
Rarophil
Aspirant

I have tried to do as you suggest but get nowhere.

All the while my orbi is connected it is downloading and it has downloaded about 600MB in the time I have been trying your suggestions. I have no idea whether it is in router mode or AP mode.

No matter what I do I still cannot connect to the Orbi by a browser. Netgear Genie shows it as "Net device" at 192.168.1.6.I  but all Pings to that address get lost.

This device has worked flawlessly since January when I bought it. It was switched off while I was away and on switching back on when I returned it just keeps downloading. As a wifi device it still works, for example, with a tablet but I cannot allow it to keep churning through 1GB per hour.

I think I'll pack it up and return it.

Thanks for trying

Phil

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You also need to review your ISP DSL modem router as well. This maybe playing a role in what your seeing. 

Good Luck. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7