Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR40 dropping WiFi 4 times a day?

jonathanch
Aspirant

Orbi RBR40 dropping WiFi 4 times a day?

Is there a way to track my WiFi conectivity to see if my Orbi is dropping the WiFi.

I am using Verizon Date 4 times a day when we are at home and supposadley connected to WiFi.

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR40 dropping WiFi 4 times a day?

@jonathanch wrote:

Is there a way to track my WiFi conectivity to see if my Orbi is dropping the WiFi.

I am using Verizon Date 4 times a day when we are at home and supposadley connected to WiFi.

I'm not sure what you mean you're using verizon date. 

Firmware on the orbi?

Is it only wireless device dropping or wired devices as well?

What modem are you using? 

Message 2 of 11
jonathanch
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. That should have been data not date.

On my Orbi App it showes my Hardware as RBR40 with firmware V2.3.5.30.

I am trying to track down why my phones use data every 6 hours even when we are home and supposedley connected to the Orbi. (See attached data log from verizon)

My ISP is Cincinnati Bell Fioptics with a ZYXEL modem. 

I never have to reboot the Orbi

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 11
jonathanch
Aspirant

Only wireless is dropping as far as I can tell.

Message 4 of 11
plemans
Guru

Can you tell that devices are disconnecting from the orbi? 

Is it all devices having this issue or only one?

Or you've just noticed that periodically when you should be on wifi, you're phone is using data? 

What zyxel modem is it? 

Message 5 of 11
badbrain
Aspirant

I'd recommend manually updating your firmware. The automated check doesn't seem to identify that there's new firmware available.

Message 6 of 11
jonathanch
Aspirant

I am only conserned with my phones using data.

EMG341S-B10A

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You modem may already have built in router and wifi, if so, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

@jonathanch wrote:

I am only conserned with my phones using data.

EMG341S-B10A

Message 8 of 11
jonathanch
Aspirant

I have turned off the WiFi on my Zyxel modem/router and my phones are still using Data 4 times a day at 12 & 6 AM and PM.

I tried to log on to my orbi (orbilogin) but I can't. Don't know why.

Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

maybe its your phones?

Easy way to check? Turn the wifi back on while on the zyxel and connect the phones to its wifi. If they still use data, its something to what they're (the phones) are doing. 

Message 10 of 11
mynameisjohnj
Aspirant

I've started disabling mobile data on my phone when I'm in the house.

A quick google search will show that the Orbi wireless reliability is extremely poor... when I have my cellular data turned off I lose internet for a few seconds every so often - I doube I've had a stable connection for more than a half hour.

This only started recently... so I'd personally be hesitant about upgrading the firmware. I'm on the latest (2.3.5.34) and the connect is abysmal.

- John

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7