Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR40 firmware V2.3.0.28 - faster crash

kproth
Tutor

Orbi RBR40 firmware V2.3.0.28 - faster crash

Way to go Netgear!  The previous firmware update (2.2.1.210) would last for a few days before locking up WiFi and requiring a reboot.  Now, with 2.3.0.28, it locks up (and wants to be reconfigured from scratch) after just 1 day.  Hard pass.  Back to blocking auto-updates with my DNS settings. 

Dear Netgear: instead of designing dozens of similar devices and virtually abandoning them in the hands of the consumers, you should just focus on building one *good* one and actually supporting it well!

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Not everyone is having a bad experience with there systems. In fact your the first with this kind of problem.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Please do a factory reset on the system and setup from scratch. 

@kproth wrote:

Way to go Netgear!  The previous firmware update (2.2.1.210) would last for a few days before locking up WiFi and requiring a reboot.  Now, with 2.3.0.28, it locks up (and wants to be reconfigured from scratch) after just 1 day.  Hard pass.  Back to blocking auto-updates with my DNS settings. 

Dear Netgear: instead of designing dozens of similar devices and virtually abandoning them in the hands of the consumers, you should just focus on building one *good* one and actually supporting it well!

Message 2 of 11
kproth
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I proceeded to upgrade to the new latest firmware (2.3.1.44) and after upgrading both RBS40 and RBR40 I did the recommended factory reset. But I can't even give it enough run-time to see if that helped. First of all, they seem to have removed the ability to override the DNS servers if I'm obtaining an internet IP via DHCP. So I can't use SafeDNS with the new firmware. Secondly, I enabled Circle successfully, but it turned itself back off after just a few minutes. I tried 2 more times, and then gave up and rolled back (again) to 2.4.1.16.
Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you can't assign any custom DNS on the RBR40 under Advanced tab/Setup/Internet or WAN in v44? 

@kproth wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I proceeded to upgrade to the new latest firmware (2.3.1.44) and after upgrading both RBS40 and RBR40 I did the recommended factory reset. But I can't even give it enough run-time to see if that helped. First of all, they seem to have removed the ability to override the DNS servers if I'm obtaining an internet IP via DHCP. So I can't use SafeDNS with the new firmware. Secondly, I enabled Circle successfully, but it turned itself back off after just a few minutes. I tried 2 more times, and then gave up and rolled back (again) to 2.4.1.16.

Message 4 of 11
kproth
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Do you can't assign any custom DNS on the RBR40 under Advanced tab/Setup/Internet or WAN in v44?

Correct.  The option to use custom DNS servers is grayed out, unless I change the Advanced/Setup/Internet -> Internet Ip Address option to "Use Static IP Address". Which isn't a good option seeing as how I don't have a static IP address.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Something I would contact NG support about. This should not be happening. 

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

Others are not seeing this. Possible bad system or RBR. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Message 6 of 11
kproth
Tutor

I will attempt to get a hardware replacement due to the Circle feature not staying active. Thanks for the suggestion.

However, I fail to see how bad hardware would cause a change in the Web UI (to not be able to switch to custom DNS).

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I would ask NG if this is a change in FW for the 40 series Orbi or something else has happened. I don't see a reason why the UI would change unless this maybe a region thing...

Please let us know. 

Message 8 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@kproth wrote:

First of all, they seem to have removed the ability to override the DNS servers if I'm obtaining an internet IP via DHCP. So I can't use SafeDNS with the new firmware. Secondly, I enabled Circle successfully, but it turned itself back off after just a few minutes. I tried 2 more times, and then gave up and rolled back (again) to 2.4.1.16.

(Having no minors living with me) I do not use Disney Circle.  My impression is that Circle works by intercepting DNS queries and making decisions about requests based on user parameters.  When you rolled back, did you try Circle again?

Message 9 of 11
kproth
Tutor

@CrimpOn wrote:
(Having no minors living with me) I do not use Disney Circle.  My impression is that Circle works by intercepting DNS queries and making decisions about requests based on user parameters.  When you rolled back, did you try Circle again?

Circle stays active as expected after rollback. 

The "hardware" version of Circle works by intercepting all traffic via ARP Spoofing.  I assume the version built into the NG router either does the same thing, or more likely takes advantage of being embedded within the router and inspects all traffic passing through the router.  It is not a DNS based solution so far as I understand it.  I augment it with SafeDNS for a couple of reasons (mainly, better support for a couple of safe search options, and also to block auto-updates of the NG router...)

Message 10 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

ARP spoofing is indeed what Disney Circle does.  (Thanks for the tip.)  However, I did a Google search on "Disney Circle DNS" and found this in the Circle Knowledge Base:

https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021279492-Circle-and-Custom-DNS-Settings

Looks (to me) like Disney Circle might be the culprit, but not for the reason I proposed.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7