Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR40 firmware V2.3.0.28 issues

Arius1
Guide

Orbi RBR40 firmware V2.3.0.28 issues

I just manually updated to V2.3.0.28 and it's been working fine for about a week.  Now 2 days in a row suddenly we lose internet to wifi devices.  Anything hardwired to the Orbi's seem to connect fine.  I have my workstations plugged into Orbi router and one satelliate has other hardwired devices.  All of those stay online but wifi says connected but no internet.  This is Android, iOS and Window devices.

If I look at the connection status in the router all is connected and fine.  Only way I get everything to work again is doing a reboot of the system and then all comes back.

Has anyone seen this before?  I noticed when I type in RBR40 in the download section it doesn't take me to any firmware suddenly on the netgear site.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

I would do a factory reset and setup from scratch. Seen others with problems after a FW update, reset usually fixes this.

Also your ISP modem is a gateway, do you know if it's bridged or in router mode? 

Modes are recommended to be in bridge mode if possible.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem leaving it in router mode and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enableding Beamforming and MIMO.

Have you tried a factory reset on the system and setup from scratch?

Message 2 of 9
Arius1
Guide

It's Xfinity gigabit modem, it says CGM4140COM - Technicolor.

SF isn't the issue this has been working fine before I did firmware update.  The router said no firmware update but when I checked the site it showed the V2.3.0.28.  SF is 1500, trilevel.

I have 3 neighbors with wifi one can get picked up if your to the backside of the house.  They haven't changed their equipment I asked.

WPA2 is security

Beamforming and MIMO is on.

Both wifi are set to Auto.  When I first got this I talked to Netgear for a few weeks to find best settings to get optimial speeds.  As I said it's been fine until the firmware update.  I don't know if I need to go back to the old firmware or not.

My setup is the Technicolor (Xfinity Modem)>>RBR40 upper area of the house, RBS40 is in the basement about 20ft in lenght but half story below.  Then the last RBS40 is at the other end of the house against exterior wall about 58' from RBR40.  Both are at one end of the house tne basement RBS40 is in the middle but down a level if that makes sense.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I would do a factory reset and setup from scratch. Seen others with problems after a FW update, reset usually fixes this.

Also your ISP modem is a gateway, do you know if it's bridged or in router mode? 

Modes are recommended to be in bridge mode if possible.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem leaving it in router mode and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 4 of 9
Arius1
Guide

Thanks!  What's the best way to do a factory reset? 

Also shouldn't the Orbi have seen the new firmware and updated it?  This is the first time I had to do a manual update.

I can't bridge the modem due to security system that's tied to that.  I have the radios disabled and again all this has been running for 10 months no issue.  

Thanks for the quick responses!

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

You can do a ERASE from the RBRs web page under Advanced Tab/Advanced SettingsBackup or push in the back reset button until the AMBER led on top appears then let go. Wait for the top to pulsate WHITE and then log in and walk thru the setup wizard.

If you can bridge the modem, you can try Option #2...

Message 6 of 9
Arius1
Guide

Factory reset seems to be working but need a bit more time to tell.  Funny my speeds are faster now than before.

Message 7 of 9
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Don’t discount the advice given to put the host router into bridged, DMZ, or passthrough mode depending on terminology used.
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you configure one of the suggestions? 

Glad a reset helped. 

@Arius1 wrote:

Factory reset seems to be working but need a bit more time to tell.  Funny my speeds are faster now than before.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7