Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR40 issues updating Samsung devices

SinmanTX
Aspirant

Orbi RBR40 issues updating Samsung devices

I have a very strange issue that has recently started. Not sure when it started but I cannot seem to correct this issue. The issue is, I cannot get some of my Samsung devices to connect to the firmare update server to check for device updates (Samsung update server). I have 4 Samsung devices, 2 Note 8's, 1 Samsung tablet and 1 Note 9. The 2 note 8's and the tablet will not connect but the Note 9 will... I have been all through the settings on the Orbi and nothing seems to work. I have factory reset the Orbi with no luck. My network modem is just a modem (no router at all). Not sure where to go from here. Any idea's?

I have also tried to go back a few firmware version but the issue still is present. 

Hardware Version    RBR40

Firmware Version    V2.3.1.58
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
SinmanTX
Aspirant

Just to update this post. I installed an older router/ap in place of the Orbi and I was experiencing the same issues. I contacted my provider and swapped out the modem. Changing the modem (only a modem) has corrected this issue. 

Thanks for all of the feedback. 

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 20

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Try setting 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9 DNS addresses on the RBR...

Message 2 of 20
SinmanTX
Aspirant

FURRYe38,the modem is 

ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 / PacketCable 2.0 Touchstone Telephony Modem
HW_REV: 1
VENDOR: ARRIS Group, Inc.
BOOTR: 2.2.0.45
SW_REV: 9.1.103J8TW1.SIP.PC20.TW
MODEL: TM1602AP2

Since this is a modem only,  I am running the Orbi in Router mode.

As for the DNS, I have already tried that. I have also tried adding the Samsung device to the DMZ.

Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this the only devices that are having problems? Do other devices have full internet access? 

Do you have any parental controls enabled like Circle or Armor? Disable them if you do. 

Message 4 of 20
SinmanTX
Aspirant

So far this is all that I can see that's not working. I have a seperate circle device that I have disconnected (same issue with or without it connected) I have the Circle feature off in the Orbi.

If I tether the Samsung tablet to my phone (on 4G) it connects to the software update server and if I take these devices to another network they connect. Next step is to replace the Orbi with my old AP and see what happens (it will connect so I don't even know why I'm wasiting the time).

I've also packet captured the deivce that does not work and the one that does work when performing the update and they both seem to send broadcast's to 224.0.0.251

Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

I would factory reset the Orbi. While do you that, power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds then back on. Walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC and web browser. Set up the RBR only. Do not load any saved backup config files. Just start a new. Try setting same SSID or something different. Then test your Samsung devices to see if they connect. 

Message 6 of 20
SinmanTX
Aspirant

As stated in the original post....I have already factory reset the Orbi. I have not tried a new SSID though. Not sure why this would correct this problem since 1 of the 4 connects to the update server but it's worth a try... FYI.. the devices did connect when I installed the Orbi back in Jan.

Message 7 of 20
SinmanTX
Aspirant

I tired another reset with no config restore and a new SSID. Same issue as before. Not sure where to go from here.. Is there any way to get a ticket open with Netgear if I don't have support?

Message 8 of 20
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @SinmanTX

Our support team is looking into this issue and would like to work with you. Please check your inbox. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 9 of 20
SinmanTX
Aspirant

@Blanca_O I have replied to your message. 

Message 10 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes please. Smiley Happy

@SinmanTX wrote:

have replied to your message. 

Message 11 of 20
chathamws
Aspirant

I can confirm this issue also exists on the RBR50. Neither my Samsung Galaxy Note 9 or Galaxy Tab S4 can connect to Samsung update servers when connected to the Orbi hotspot at home. It works on any other wifi hotspot (including my old wifi router). I have replaced the Orbi with a new one at my local Best Buy store, performed several factory resets, tried using Orbi without the Sattelite turned on to no avail. Additionally I am also having performance issues when the Orbi is put in AP Mode (I have a support case open for that issue already). I wonder if these problems are related in the Orbi software somehow. Its been a frustrating experience with this Mesh wifi system and am regretting not going with either a Cisco or Ubiquiti access point.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 12 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@chathamws wrote:

I can confirm this issue also exists on the RBR50. Neither my Samsung Galaxy Note 9 or Galaxy Tab S4 can connect to Samsung update servers when connected to the Orbi hotspot at home. It works on any other wifi hotspot (including my old wifi router). I have replaced the Orbi with a new one at my local Best Buy store, performed several factory resets, tried using Orbi without the Sattelite turned on to no avail. Additionally I am also having performance issues when the Orbi is put in AP Mode (I have a support case open for that issue already). I wonder if these problems are related in the Orbi software somehow. Its been a frustrating experience with this Mesh wifi system and am regretting not going with either a Cisco or Ubiquiti access point.

Message 13 of 20
SinmanTX
Aspirant

I've also got a support case open with Netgear on this issue. They are trying to reproduce the issue with the config that i uploaded with my ticket.
Once i get an answer from them I'll update this post.
Message 14 of 20
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @chathamws

Our engineers are looking into this issue. We would like to request for debug logs. Please check your inbox. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

I can confirm my RBK50 isn't reproducing this. Mines in AP mode behind a XR450 router with a Galaxy Tab S2. 

Message 16 of 20
SinmanTX
Aspirant

Just to update this post. I installed an older router/ap in place of the Orbi and I was experiencing the same issues. I contacted my provider and swapped out the modem. Changing the modem (only a modem) has corrected this issue. 

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@SinmanTX wrote:

Message 18 of 20
chathamws
Aspirant

OK, I believe the problem is elsewhere after doing more troubleshooting. I think it was coincidental that this problem with samsung update started occuring around the same time I installed the RBK50. I have performed packet captures with my PFSesne firewall/router and it looks like samsung is blocking some of Spectrum's network. I will need to reach out to Spectrum Cable to further troubleshoot.

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. 

@chathamws wrote:

OK, I believe the problem is elsewhere after doing more troubleshooting. I think it was coincidental that this problem with samsung update started occuring around the same time I installed the RBK50. I have performed packet captures with my PFSesne firewall/router and it looks like samsung is blocking some of Spectrum's network. I will need to reach out to Spectrum Cable to further troubleshoot.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7