Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR40 kernel panics

someuser2
Aspirant

Orbi RBR40 kernel panics

My Orbi RBR40 randomly reboots several times a day. The debug logs indicate that this is caused by a kernel panic:

<0>Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt
<4>@@@@@@@@@ DNI Kernel panic @@@@@@@@@@
3 <0>3ea0: b6f5e000 00100073 00000000 dcabc600 00000000 dcb59ba8 00000001 00000001
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR40 kernel panics

Wow. First time I've seen THAT.  What firmware is on the Orbi?  Maybe this is a good time for a "Factory Reset" and configure from scratch.  If it is less than one year old, it should be under warranty.

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Do you have RBS connected? Wireless or wired? 

@someuser2 wrote:

My Orbi RBR40 randomly reboots several times a day. The debug logs indicate that this is caused by a kernel panic:

<0>Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt
<4>@@@@@@@@@ DNI Kernel panic @@@@@@@@@@
3 <0>3ea0: b6f5e000 00100073 00000000 dcabc600 00000000 dcb59ba8 00000001 00000001

Message 3 of 6
someuser2
Aspirant

It is attached to a Surfboard 6141 modem. I tried a factory reset, but it did not make a difference. The panic occurs in a function related to neighbor advertisements (ecm_interface_send_neighbour_solicitation), so I tried disabling IPv6 a week ago - no reboot since (though this is just a workaround, of course; you'd expect a modern router to properly support IPv6). The panic log indicates that an alignment exception occurs when executing a LDREX instruction; I believe this occurs in atomic_dec_and_test in neigh_release (which is inlined in ecm_interface_send_neighbour_solicitation; this atomically decrements the reference count in the neighbour struct). I am not too familiar with ARMv7; does LDREX require a page-aligned pointer? If so, I think this is the cause - the refcnt member in struct neighbour is at offset 0x18, which isn't page-aligned. I can provide a full panic log for your engineers to look at.

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

My guess is this is something that Netgear engineers would enjoy seeing. Alas, everyone on this community forum is a volunteer who happens to enjoy participating.  In two years, I have never had the impression that Netgear engineers monitor or participate in the myriad of user forums.  If the Orbi is still in the 90 days of "complimentary support", I urge you to file a support ticket directly with Netgear.  If you have had it more than 90 days, the best strategy is to interest one of the forum "moderators" in the problem.  Such as @Dustin_V or @Blanca_O 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

As suggested, please contact NG support and let them know whats is going on. Ask about an RMA. 

@someuser2 wrote:

It is attached to a Surfboard 6141 modem. I tried a factory reset, but it did not make a difference. The panic occurs in a function related to neighbor advertisements (ecm_interface_send_neighbour_solicitation), so I tried disabling IPv6 a week ago - no reboot since (though this is just a workaround, of course; you'd expect a modern router to properly support IPv6). The panic log indicates that an alignment exception occurs when executing a LDREX instruction; I believe this occurs in atomic_dec_and_test in neigh_release (which is inlined in ecm_interface_send_neighbour_solicitation; this atomically decrements the reference count in the neighbour struct). I am not too familiar with ARMv7; does LDREX require a page-aligned pointer? If so, I think this is the cause - the refcnt member in struct neighbour is at offset 0x18, which isn't page-aligned. I can provide a full panic log for your engineers to look at.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7