Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR40 loses connection to NBN constantly

RupertofHentzau
Aspirant

Orbi RBR40 loses connection to NBN constantly

My Orbi RBR40 router (v2.3.5.30) and associated RBW30 satellites have not worked correctly since i connected to the NBN.  I have read more or less every issue on these boards and the suggested solutions, and tried every one, with no success. I am hoping someone can figure out the issue before i finaly ditch this $600 investment and go with something else. 

I am connected to the NBN via an HFC into an NBN_supplied HFC connection box (Arris CM8200) which connects via an ethernet cable to the Iinet-supplied TG789vac v2 broadband gateway router.  This is then connected via ethernet to the Orbi router.  Two satellites are wirelessly connected (at times), the first about 32 feet from the router in the hall and the second about 35 feet from the first satellite on a lower level. 

The Iinet router has the following enabled: VLAN 2 PPP connected, DHCP enabled, DLNA enabled; DMZ, DynDNS disabled. 

The symptoms are as follows: the Orbi router disconnected from the Internet, the satellites lose the connection to the router, the satellites lose the connection to each other, the satellites and/or the router lose the connection to devices.  Devices connect and disconnect to the satellites and/or the router regardless of which is nearer.  The Orbi loses and then regains the connection to the Internet randomly throughout the day, multiple times an hour, regardless of whether or not there are any devices connected or active or whether there is anyone at home (my observation via the Ap).  The disconnection is not dependent on traffic volume or capacity (it has dropped the connection and I have rebooted twice in the last 30 mins). 

I have tried the following various fixes in multiple combinations:

• Connecting the Orbi router directly to the NBN Arris via an ethernet cable (no internet signal via the Orbi at all, despite the Arris displaying all the right green lights);
    • Changing the ethernet cable
    • Turning the Orbi to Router mode and turning the wireless off on the Iinet router
    • Turning the wireless on on the iiNet router and turning the Orbi to AP mode
    • Trying various suggested channels on the 2.4GHz,
    • changing the transmit power on the 2.4GHz to 50%,
    • changing the preamble to ‘short’
    • Enabled and disabled daisy chain (and watched as the satellites nevertheless either connected in a star topology or daisy chain randomly)
    • Enabled and disabled Beamforming, MU_MIMO, enable fast roaming

Any suggestions gratefully received.  

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Be sure to power OFF both ISP modem and Orbi RBR for 30 seconds, then power ON the ISP modem and let it sync, then power ON the Orbi RBR. 

@RupertofHentzau wrote:

My Orbi RBR40 router (v2.3.5.30) and associated RBW30 satellites have not worked correctly since i connected to the NBN.  I have read more or less every issue on these boards and the suggested solutions, and tried every one, with no success. I am hoping someone can figure out the issue before i finaly ditch this $600 investment and go with something else. 

I am connected to the NBN via an HFC into an NBN_supplied HFC connection box (Arris CM8200) which connects via an ethernet cable to the Iinet-supplied TG789vac v2 broadband gateway router.  This is then connected via ethernet to the Orbi router.  Two satellites are wirelessly connected (at times), the first about 32 feet from the router in the hall and the second about 35 feet from the first satellite on a lower level. 

The Iinet router has the following enabled: VLAN 2 PPP connected, DHCP enabled, DLNA enabled; DMZ, DynDNS disabled. 

The symptoms are as follows: the Orbi router disconnected from the Internet, the satellites lose the connection to the router, the satellites lose the connection to each other, the satellites and/or the router lose the connection to devices.  Devices connect and disconnect to the satellites and/or the router regardless of which is nearer.  The Orbi loses and then regains the connection to the Internet randomly throughout the day, multiple times an hour, regardless of whether or not there are any devices connected or active or whether there is anyone at home (my observation via the Ap).  The disconnection is not dependent on traffic volume or capacity (it has dropped the connection and I have rebooted twice in the last 30 mins). 

• Connecting the Orbi router directly to the NBN Arris via an ethernet cable (no internet signal via the Orbi at all, despite the Arris displaying all the right green lights);
    • Turning the Orbi to Router mode and turning the wireless off on the Iinet router
    • Enabled and disabled daisy chain (and watched as the satellites nevertheless either connected in a star topology or daisy chain randomly)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
Fl1ntstone
Apprentice

Hi,  I have a similar setup as you (RBR40 & 2x RBW30s) and as I already had a broadband router I had to change the Orbi to AP mode.  Once this was done I could connect to the Internet continously.

CheerZ and good luck

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Be sure to power OFF both ISP modem and Orbi RBR for 30 seconds, then power ON the ISP modem and let it sync, then power ON the Orbi RBR. 

@RupertofHentzau wrote:

Message 3 of 7
RupertofHentzau
Aspirant

Thanks both.  I’ve tried option 3, without success. I’ll try option two and see if that does the trick. 

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep us posted....

Message 5 of 7
RupertofHentzau
Aspirant

Ok I have changed the set up to option 2 as suggested and so far the connection has been stable for 48 hours.  Thank you very much for taking the time to provide the suggested fix, this seems to have done it, I appreciate it. Very relieved to have found the solution. 

Regards

Rupert

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos