Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR40 stopped working

ABear2018
Aspirant

Orbi RBR40 stopped working

My RBR40 stopped working. The satellite RBS40 has an orange light and cannot connect.

The RBR40 is connected to a  Motorola MG7310. The internet provider is Spectrum.

The Motorola provides a network connection to a desktop computer and a wifi signal (since the Orbi quit). My Wi-fi devices include laptops, Roku, Firesticks, tablets and an internet phone module.  

The RBR40 does not transmit a wifi signal when conected to the Motorola nor a network connection to the desktop. Attempts to restart the Orbi RBR40 have been unsuccesful.

The Orbi setup worked fine until about a week ago. Trying to reset the RBR40 to factory settings does not work.  I believe the RBR40 firmware is V2.2.1.210 as of January 2019.

Please advise how I can "wake up" the RBR40 or do I need to replace this unit. (You replaced my RBS40 about a year ago because it locked up.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR40 stopped working

A couple things.

1. The Motorola MG7310 is a combo device. It has an integrated modem and router. Make sure you either have it in bridged/passthrough mode or the orbi in AP mode when you get it setup.

2. You put what the rbs40 is doing but nothing about the RBR40. Is the power light on? Is it blinking? Is anything going on when you reboot it?

3. When you reset the RBR40 did you make sure to hold reset for 7-10 seconds until the power light changed?

4. If you were on version 2.2.1.210 of the firmware, you were 5 updates out of date. If you get it back up and running, I'd probably get it updated. 

If your power light is on, there is the chance you can use tftp to recover it. make sure to disconnect everthing from the RBR40 when you do that. I'll link to the instructions as well as how to enable tftp within windows. Follow the instructions exactly. There's also a couple videos on youtube of using tftp that I'd recommend watching to see how to do it correctly.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

Message 2 of 4
ABear2018
Aspirant

OK, I went trough the procedure to load new firmware using tftp.  The firmware is RBR40-V2.3.5.30. Unfortunately, no matter what the firmware, the Orbi RBR40 does not reset.

Holding the reset and and then powering the Orbi on does not cause a change in the power light. It stays solid green, no matter how long the rest button is held with a paper clip. The tftp connect request fails without a reset.

Is there anything else I can try?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

If you follow the tftp steps, but instead of doing tftp are you able to ping the RBR40 if you're hooked directly to it?

If you can't get to the point of even being able to ping the rbr, you might be in trouble.  I would try following the tftp steps exactly a couple times. I've had a couple people were its the 2nd or 3rd time it works.

There is the option of nmrpflash. Not sure if it'll work. If you're within your 1 year warranty, I'd open an RMA issue.  

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7