Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR40 wifi mesh system - Wifi calling issues

pruyn77
Tutor

Orbi RBR40 wifi mesh system - Wifi calling issues

Hi - I have an RBR40 Orbi Tri-band router with 2 satallites.  I have it connected to a Motorola Arris modem set to bridge mode.  I setup and configured the Orbi router with the IPhone App which was very easy to do.  One satellite is located upstairs and the other satellite is located in the basement.  The ISP is Comcast / Xfinitiy.  The internet Wifi speed I now have with this system is excellent - 200Mbps everywhere in my 2 story home with basement.  The only issue we have is Wifi calling on the cell phones.  I have an IPhone 11 (Verizon) and have not experienced any issues, but my wife has an IPhone 8 (T-Mobile) and we have had issues with her receiving incoming calls and text messages.  Sometimes there will be no audio on her IPhone 8 on incoming wifi Calls and sometimes it will just go directly to voicemail when calls are placed to her.  My daughter has an IPhone 10 (Verizon) and has the same issues stated above with as the Iphone 8 with Wifi calling.  Not sure what can be causing this.  Not sure if an IOS issue or some settings need to be adjusted in the Orbi router.  That is the only complaint so far with this Orbi system and its been up and running in my home for 3 days now.  

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
pruyn77
Tutor

Re: Orbi RBR40 wifi mesh system - Wifi calling issues

Hello - To follow up on yesterday's thread, I logged into the RBR40 router last night and made the following changes and ALL cell phone wifi calling is now working in the house with no issues:

Enabled the following (checked the box):

-Beamforming

-MU-MIMO

-WMM

Disabled the following:

-Disabled IPv6 (it was already set to Disabled so no change necessary)

-Disabled Daisy-Chain mode

-Disabled 20/40Mhz Coexistence

-Disabled Fast Roaming

Tested 2 out of the 3 phones (IPhone 11 and IPhone 10) last night and today with no wifi calling issues.  Will test the IPhone 8 when I am able to, but I do not suspect there will be any issues.  Voice quality is very clear too, I noticed an improvement after making the above changes.  Thanks for you help.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I wouldn't change anything if you have 1 phone that works on wifi calling and others that don't. Shows that 1 phone works. Mabye a problem with the iOS. 

Turn OFF the RBS and leave the RBR running. Does all phones connect to the RBR and what are the wifi calling experineces here? 

Are the phones making wifi calls one at a time or are they all online at the same time? 

What are the current settings for these options? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? 
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence .

@pruyn77 wrote:

Hi - I have an RBR40 Orbi Tri-band router with 2 satallites.  I have it connected to a Motorola Arris modem set to bridge mode.  I setup and configured the Orbi router with the IPhone App which was very easy to do.  One satellite is located upstairs and the other satellite is located in the basement.  The ISP is Comcast / Xfinitiy.  The internet Wifi speed I now have with this system is excellent - 200Mbps everywhere in my 2 story home with basement.  The only issue we have is Wifi calling on the cell phones.  I have an IPhone 11 (Verizon) and have not experienced any issues, but my wife has an IPhone 8 (T-Mobile) and we have had issues with her receiving incoming calls and text messages.  Sometimes there will be no audio on her IPhone 8 on incoming wifi Calls and sometimes it will just go directly to voicemail when calls are placed to her.  My daughter has an IPhone 10 (Verizon) and has the same issues stated above with as the Iphone 8 with Wifi calling.  Not sure what can be causing this.  Not sure if an IOS issue or some settings need to be adjusted in the Orbi router.  That is the only complaint so far with this Orbi system and its been up and running in my home for 3 days now.  

Message 2 of 5
pruyn77
Tutor

I will log into the router RBR40 tonight and document these settings.

I allowed the IPhone app to autoconfigure the router so some of these Optimized settings (WMM, MIMO, daisy-chain, fast roaming, etc.) may not be optimal.

Message 3 of 5
pruyn77
Tutor

Hello - To follow up on yesterday's thread, I logged into the RBR40 router last night and made the following changes and ALL cell phone wifi calling is now working in the house with no issues:

Enabled the following (checked the box):

-Beamforming

-MU-MIMO

-WMM

Disabled the following:

-Disabled IPv6 (it was already set to Disabled so no change necessary)

-Disabled Daisy-Chain mode

-Disabled 20/40Mhz Coexistence

-Disabled Fast Roaming

Tested 2 out of the 3 phones (IPhone 11 and IPhone 10) last night and today with no wifi calling issues.  Will test the IPhone 8 when I am able to, but I do not suspect there will be any issues.  Voice quality is very clear too, I noticed an improvement after making the above changes.  Thanks for you help.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad its working better. Be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7