Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR40 wifi speed

ReluctantITsupp
Aspirant

Orbi RBR40 wifi speed

I just upgraded from ATT 300 to ATT 1 gig fiber service to the house but max wifi download speed from Orbi RBR40 is 300Mbps. Can I get more?

Setup:

ATT router (Arris BGW210)  > Orbi RBR40 (AC2200, FM V2.5.1.22). There are also 2 RBS20 satellites (FM V2.5.1.22) placed in other parts of house.

Ethernet cable from iMac into Orbi RBR40. Speedtest on iMac using ethernet via RBR40 is 930Mbps.

Approx 12 devices on wifi network (computers, phones, TV)

Question - iPhone 8 placed 2ft from Orbi RBR40 only gets 300Mbps download. Can I get more - possibly via reconfiguring the Orbi? I am not technical so can't remember how to get to Orbi router settings. Or is it time to buy a new wifi system?

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR40 wifi speed

What are your wired speeds with a wired PC connected to the RBR? 

Most iphones and WiFi 5 devices will max out at around 400-500Mbps due to the antenna design, 2x2. Even my 12 Max gets around 400 to 500ish speeds. You'll not see anything near 900Mpbs on 5Ghz AC wifi. Wired you should. 

Message 2 of 5
ReluctantITsupp
Aspirant

Wired download speed with a wired PC connected to the RBR = 930Mbps

Is there a way to increase the RBR wifi speed from 300Mbps to the 400-500Mbps max? Or is 300Mbps the best I should expect?

Thanks

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 5
alokeprasad
Mentor

In the iOS app store, look for "Wi-Fi Sweetspots" app.  It will check the connection speed between your iPhone and your wifi router (or satellite, whiechevr you happen to be connected to) as you walk around.  It is not affected by your ISP connection speed.  It gives you the maximum "raw" speed, so to speak.

You can monitor the speed as you walk around the house.  Start in the same room as the router (base) and see what speeds you get.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7