Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR40 wired connections fail to connect to the internet

garytmoulder
Follower

Orbi RBR40 wired connections fail to connect to the internet

I can establish a WIFI connection to my ORBI and connect to the internet.  When i try to connect through a wired port, it fails to connect to the internet.  i have rebooted the ORBI multiple times and left it turned off overnight.  When i replace the ORBI will my Frontier FIOS provided router everything works just fine -- wired ports and WIFI.  i can get things to work with the Frontier router, but i lose my mesh network.  What can i do to troubleshoot or fix this problem with the ORBI?  i am looking for help.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 14
ekhalil
Master

Re: Orbi RBR40 wired connections fail to connect to the internet

If wifi devices work well but wired devices don’t, this is an indication that you have two routers in your network. 

Wifi devices get their IP addresses from Orbi during the wifi attach procedure, while wired devices get them from any router that replies first. 

Please make sure that your ISP router which Orbi is connected to is bridged. If you can’t do that then please set Orbi in AP mode. 

Message 2 of 14
randomousity
Luminary

So, just to check a few things:

1. On the device (laptop?) you're connecting via ethernet, do you have the ethernet port enabled, and do you have have DHCP enabled on that port as well (assuming you're running the Orbi as your DHCP server) and, if you don't use DHCP, do you have the proper settings configured on your laptop for ethernet use (e.g., an unused IP address in the correct range, with the correct subnet mask, your Orbi as the default gateway, and one or more DNS servers)?
  2. Have you tried using a different ethernet cable in case the cable is bad, and made sure the cable is securely seated in both the laptop's ethernet port as well as the Orbi's LAN ethernet port?
  3. Have you tried another device (e.g., a second laptop) to make sure the issue is with the Orbi and not the laptop?
  4. Does the laptop connect to the ethernet properly (link lights by the ethernet port, settings show that a connection is detected, and configuration), and the issue is just that you don't have internet access, or do you also not have LAN access?
  5. When connected over ethernet, try disabling wifi to ensure the device is only using ethernet, and then try accessing something on your LAN. If nothing else, try the Orbi's configuration page (probably 192.18.1.1 if you haven't changed it). Can you access the Orbi over ethernet?
  6. When you connect to the Orbi over ethernet, you aren't using the ethernet cable that connects the Orbi to your modem, are you? In other words, there's one ethernet cable going from the Orbi's yellow internet port to the modem, and then a second ethernet cable going from one of the Orbi's numbered LAN ports to your laptop?
  7. Assuming you have at least two Orbi devices (a router and a satellite), do you have the router connected to the modem (as opposed to having the satellite connected to the modem)?
  8. Do you have the correct port on the router connected to the modem?
  9. Have you attempted to connect the laptop to a different port on the Orbi
  10. Are you running the Orbi in router or AP mode?
  11. Do you have a second router on your network at the same time (whether it's your modem, or another router) handling routing functions, and, in particular, DHCP?
Message 3 of 14

@garytmoulder wrote:

When i try to connect through a wired port, it fails to connect to the internet. 

To add to the comments from others, can you say what happens when you try to connect through a wired port?

What is the connection? A Windows PC?

What prompts do you get?

A simple "wired connections fail" is too vague for useful diagnostics.

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I would also add that you should ensure windows and the wired adapter is set for Auto Obtain IP addressing. If you have a static in the configuration, this would be a cause for problems. 

Message 5 of 14
petersuarez
Aspirant

Hi there.

Found this post as I've been trying to fix an issue.

I have RBK50.  My wife's wired computer works fine.  Wifi is great.  However, my LG and Sony TV won't recognize the LAN connection.

Could this be the same issue and perhaps solution?

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Sounds more like this post:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBK50-Orbi-AC3000-Two-Smart-TV-s-won-t-make-LAN-Connections/td...

@petersuarez wrote:

Hi there.

Found this post as I've been trying to fix an issue.

I have RBK50.  My wife's wired computer works fine.  Wifi is great.  However, my LG and Sony TV won't recognize the LAN connection.

Could this be the same issue and perhaps solution?

Message 7 of 14

@petersuarez wrote:

However, my LG and Sony TV won't recognize the LAN connection.

I assume that this means wired LAN.

Have these devices ever worked?

General experience with "smart" stuff like this is that it is the device itself, the TV, that causes the connection problems. Solutions are often down to messing around in the settings on the LG and Sony TVs.

That wired computers work fine also points in that direction. Sort of rules out the LAN itself as the blockage.

I am not convinced that your problem is the same as that from @garytmoulder so, if you need further diagnostic help, you might do well to start a new conversation about your TVs.

Message 8 of 14
petersuarez
Aspirant

Yes, wired LAN.

Absolutely both TV's worked.  I had a crappy AT&T service and upgraded to Spectrum 400 Mbps with a modem and router.

TV's worked fine. Installed the Orbi RBK50 and no more likey.  Both LG and Sony won't recognize the wired connection.

Your sense that solution in NOT similar to @garytmoulder  is spot on.  I had Spectrum change the modem setting to Bridge.  I reset the factory settings on the LG and nada, zilch.  TV won't acknowledge the connection.

What's frustrating, at least on the LG side, is there's no Advanced Settings to fittle with.  

I did have one conversation with a Netgear rep.  She had me connect the LG LAN directly into the modem.  For the first time since using the Orbi, the TV was communicating and acknowledging a connection.  But then it would disconnect. Connect and disconnect again.  I took the connection out of the modem and just stuck it in the Orbi.  And there was a connection.  I never confirmed it by going to Netflix.  But it did say connected.  I came back to check after having dinner...no luck.

I'll take your suggestion about the TV's. 

Message 9 of 14
ekhalil
Master

I think that somehow, in some cases after changing a router the TVs get stuck and cannot get new DHCP addresses.
Please test to set static IP addresses in the TVs to see if this is the issue.
Message 10 of 14
petersuarez
Aspirant

What if I placed the old router back in place and checked that set up. Would that answer the question or actually confuse it more because the TV's have the 'memory' of the prior connection?

Message 11 of 14
ekhalil
Master

I don’t think returning the old router will help.
It’s much easier to test by setting static IP address in the TV network settings.
Message 12 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

IF the TVs were using Dynamic or Auto DHCP IP addressing and the TVs were turned off then back on with the new connection to the Orbi, the TVs should be getting a new IP address from the Orbi. If they are using any kind of static IP address ON the TV, then this would effect the connection. Besure the TVs are set for Auto Obtain IP addressing. 

@petersuarez wrote:

What if I placed the old router back in place and checked that set up. Would that answer the question or actually confuse it more because the TV's have the 'memory' of the prior connection?

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there any chance of configuring the old router for AP moded? LAN to LAN? If you can configure the old router to disable DHCP, give the old router a different IP address from 192.168.what ever it was, to a 192.168.1.52. Turn OFF all wifi radios and uPnP on it. Then connect on lan cable from the RBR to the old router, then connect both TVs lan cables to the old router. Do they get any IP addressing? 

@petersuarez wrote:

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7