Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR450/RSR50 Not Recognizing Wired Backhaul

bmxsteve
Aspirant

Orbi RBR450/RSR50 Not Recognizing Wired Backhaul

Hello - looking for some guidance with a very simple question. I have an Orbi RSR50 that has been connecting wirelessly to the RBR50...I decided to hard wire the two devices via ethernet. However, after rebooting the devices multiple times, the connection status is not changing to wired when i check on the orbilogin.net portal. Under "connect type", it continues to list 5g.

What settings do I need to change in order to go to wired?

I've searched multiple times online, and it seems it is as simple as plugging in the ethernet cables into both devices, but its as if the RSR50 doesnt realize it is hard wired.

Thank you for any guidance or direction!

Steve

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
bmxsteve
Aspirant

Thanks for your help. Find out the BRAND NEW 100ft ethernet cable I bought from Amazon was defective. I tested with another cable and it switched to wired backhaul shortly after...thanks for the help!!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

You are correct.  The satellite should recognize that an ethernet connection is available and switch automatically.  This is not "instant", minutes rather than seconds.  (Others have possibly measured the time it takes.)

Many factors can affect ethernet backhaul.  I believe the general recommendation is to first set up the satellite in the same room with the router and connect them with an ethernet patch cord to verify the switchover.  If it doesn't work in the same room, it certainly will not work with ethernet cable hidden inside walls.

If it does switch over to ethernet backhaul for the test, then something may be wrong with the ethernet pathway between router and satellite.  Are there ary ethernet switches in the path?  Have you confirmed that the ethernet wiring "works" by connecting a computer at the satellite location and observing the tiny LED's on the ethernet jack?  (it is truly annoying that Netgear saved money by omitting those tiny LED's on the Orbi. I understand the ethernet jacks are on the back and no one is supposed to be looking at them (and probably would be annoyed by the blinking lights)).

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

You might want to disable diasy chain on the RBR as well. 

@bmxsteve wrote:

Hello - looking for some guidance with a very simple question. I have an Orbi RSR50 that has been connecting wirelessly to the RBR50...I decided to hard wire the two devices via ethernet. However, after rebooting the devices multiple times, the connection status is not changing to wired when i check on the orbilogin.net portal. Under "connect type", it continues to list 5g.

What settings do I need to change in order to go to wired?

I've searched multiple times online, and it seems it is as simple as plugging in the ethernet cables into both devices, but its as if the RSR50 doesnt realize it is hard wired.

Thank you for any guidance or direction!

Steve

Message 3 of 5
bmxsteve
Aspirant

Thanks for your help. Find out the BRAND NEW 100ft ethernet cable I bought from Amazon was defective. I tested with another cable and it switched to wired backhaul shortly after...thanks for the help!!

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad that was a simple fix. 

Mark your thread as solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7