Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 1 second delay for DNS lookup

Steven36
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 1 second delay for DNS lookup

Hi, I am running an Orbi RBR50 with 2 satellites and software V2.3.1.48. Whenever there is a DNS lookup through the Orbi router it adds a 1 second delay, measured using 

"time dig www.bbc.co.uk". The only way I could remove this problem was to use the router as an access point. Has anyone else seen this problem and solved it? I do not have any of the optional features enabled (i.e. Armor and the parental functions). 

(I have also tried to use the access restrictions via MAC addresses, but never got the function to work properly.)

Thanks,

Steven

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
ekhalil
Master

Re: Orbi RBR50 1 second delay for DNS lookup

When I try the command "time dig www.bbc.co.uk" I get the following:

;; Query time: 8 msec

;; SERVER: 192.168.1.1#53(192.168.1.1)

;; WHEN: Fri May 03 22:13:00 CEST 2019

;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 297

real 0m0.047s

user 0m0.006s

sys 0m0.024s

Are you using your ISP DNS server? Have you tried to change the DNS settings in Orbi to e.g. Googles DNS servers?

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@Steven36 wrote:

Hi, I am running an Orbi RBR50 with 2 satellites and software V2.3.1.48. Whenever there is a DNS lookup through the Orbi router it adds a 1 second delay, measured using "time dig www.bbc.co.uk"

This does  not match my experience.  I checked dns performance using "time dig www.bbc.co.uk" using a linux machine connected to the Orbi with WiFi two ways: (1) using Orbi as the dns server, which pointed to the Spectrum dns servers, and (2) setting the Google dns server (8.8.8.8) as a static dns entry.

Orbi/Spectrum DNS   Google DNS

real 0m0.093s       real 0m0.114s
      user 0m0.057s       user 0m0.067s

sys  0m0.019s       sys  0m0.009s

As far as I can see, there is no obvious difference between having a DNS query pass through Orbi's DNS and then through Spectrum versus going directly to Google DNS.

(oh damn) I forgot that DNS "caches" entries, so the first time I looked up www.bbc.co.uk, the Orbi probably holds the results until the "time to live" expires.  (and, similarly with Spectrum & Google).  I am not confident that I know a way to adequately test this situation.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Did another test.  Configured linux box to use Google DNS and looked up phillips.com, lenovo.com, elon.edu, esc.edu (URL's that I have not used in over a week).  Then, changed back to resolve through the Orbi, which in turn uses Spectrum DNS servers.  No significant difference in response.  Certainly, never got a one second delay in DNS from Orbi.

This is not to say that this has not or does not happen.  "Facts are facts."  What is frustrating is not being able to reproduce the phenomenon or offer an explanation.

Message 4 of 5
Steven36
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I tried changing the DNS settings to Google servers. No change. I also did a reset of the Orbi settings when I did the last software update and manually entered in the settings, with no change in the result.

/ Steven

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7