Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 2.1.4.16 google home authentication failure

Joe014
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 2.1.4.16 google home authentication failure

Orbi RBK50 (RBR50 router and 1 RBS50 satellite); noticed update for firmware from 2.1.4.10 to 2.1.4.16.  Immediately after updating, all of my google homes (1 original and 2 minis) stopped working.  All of them would give the "something went wrong..." response immediately after saying the "hey google" wake phrase (without even getting a chance to ask it anything).  I restarted everything and got no change.  I factory reset one mini and tried to set it up again...it made it all the way through to the end (had no issue discovering it on my phone and connecting to wifi) then gave me an error saying the authentication failed and couldnt finish setup.  It would then show up as completed in my Home app, but asking it anything would yield a "not set up" spoken reply.  I also have 2 chromecasts (2nd gen)...after the firmware update, they both wouldn't connect to cast anything from Pandora, Netflix, or HBO Go, but WOULD connect and work fine to play youtube and google play music.

I downgraded the firmware back to 2.1.4.10 and everything worked again.  The home mini I had reset also was able to restart and finish setup without issue.  I don't believe I've ever changed any of the settings on the Orbi from default, neither before nor after the firmware update.

Anyone else experiencing (authentication?) issues with their chromecasts or Google Homes with this firmware update?  I don't have enless time to troubleshoot and will just wait a while before trying an update again.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
mad2
Guide

I upgraded a week or so ago and hadn't noticed a problem.  This morning I have the same problem with a google home mini and 1st gen Chromecast using the main router (can't see the chromecast on the network from the chromecast option).  Another home mini using the satellite continues to work correcty, and I can see some of my other Chromecasts.  I didn't have time to dig further into the issue, but no, you are not alone.

Message 2 of 5
Joe014
Aspirant

Update:

Google Homes were working fine again for a couple hours after firmware downgrade, but started giving me errors again...both "something went wrong..." and now "there was a glitch...".  After a quick search online, apparently there's a widespread Google Home issue going on.  I must have happened to upgrade the firmware at the same time my Homes went down by Google's fault.  Will wait for Google to get their act together, update the Orbi firmware again, and see if issues remain resolved.

Message 3 of 5
nicholb
Luminary

Message 4 of 5
mad2
Guide

For the record, my problem with one of my 2 devices was working when I returned home, so it was apparently a Google problem.  Interesting that it affected only one of two devices purchased at the same time.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7