Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 2.7.0.70 is "out"

theoak
Luminary

Orbi RBR50 2.7.0.70 is "out"

Heard reports that this was pushed to some users.

It is available at the usual links.

Like 2.5.2.4 there are no release notes. 

Orbi RBR50 support site still claims 2.5.1.16 as the official version.

Use at your own risk.

<Apologies, direct download links removed for security purposes. Please contact ChristineT or NETGEAR Moderator for details.>

I have not tried this version. With my kids in school now, at home, I can't be quite as cavalier with upgrades as I was during the summer. While I work from home, if I hosed the internet with an upgrade, I could always hotspot with my phone as a backup. I can't do that for my whole house in school now. Maybe on the weekend I'll give this a shot.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 63
Mikey94025
Hero

Haven't used 2.7.0.70 myself either, but there is also some discussion of this new firmware version and support for new NETEGAR Smart Parental Controls (SPC) in this thread: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Circle-quot-Something-Went-Wrong-quot-on-new-RBR50-install/m-p...

Message 2 of 63
FURRYe38
Guru

For users, this are not official user links either. Only used by the Orbi system. Users should be aware. IF it's not on NG official download site, then it's not officially released. Use at your own risk. 

Message 3 of 63
Tbsteph
Star

2.7.0.70 appeared as an update on my IOS Orbi app this morning. As others have mentioned I found nothing  about this firmware release on Netgear's website. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 63
Mstrbig
Master

@Tbsteph wrote:

2.7.0.70 appeared as an update on my IOS Orbi app this morning. As others have mentioned I found nothing  about this firmware release on Netgear's website. 

Looking at the filename of the zip files, this firmware is meant for RBK53 V2 model.

So they are meant for RBR50V2 router and RBS50V2 Satellite.

It may cause issues if trying to install on a V1 version.

However the official downlaod site still shows 2.5.1.16

For those that may be confused about what version they have, the V1 has USB ports, the V2 does NOT.

Message 5 of 63
CrimpOn
Guru

@Mstrbig wrote:

Looking at the filename of the zip files, this firmware is meant for RBK53 V2 model.

ALL of the RBR50 firmware files that I have downloaded begin with "RBR50-V2" and installed just fine on my "V1" router.

I think the "V" stands for "firmware version"

I continue to be amazed that individuals are able to release software revisions with pretty comprehensive "release notes", but Netgear cannot manage it.  Both the V1 and V2 Orbi support pages continue to state that V2.5.1.16 is the most recent firmware, even though later versions appear on Netgear download sites and numerous users have posted about being notified of (or automatically getting) newer firmware.

Message 6 of 63
Mstrbig
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

@Mstrbig wrote:

ALL of the RBR50 firmware files that I have downloaded begin with "RBR50-V2" and installed just fine on my "V1" router.

I think the "V" stands for "firmware version"

Interesting I just looked at all my files and find no mention of RBR50-V2 on any of my files.

However when I look at my archived files for the V2 version, they all start with RBK53-V2, RBR50-V2, RBS50-V2

WHAT AMAZES ME MORE IS:

No one from Netgear EVER chimes in to explain why many owners of Orbi RBR50 and RBS50 units are getting different firmware versions? This affects dealers like me, when customers call and ask about it and we have no answers, It makes us look bad.

Message 7 of 63
Reddking
Guide

Just putting this out there...

I downloaded this firmware and I had to roll back to 2.5.2.4.

My devices continually lost connection and both satellites would repeatedly lose connection to the base.

This firmware is **NOT** production ready. I wouldn't recommend downloading and installing this.

2.5.2.4 is stable.. I WOULD recommend upgrading to 2.5.2.4 if you haven't already.

Don't waste your time with this 2.7.0.70.

Message 8 of 63
Mstrbig
Master

@Reddking wrote:

Just putting this out there...

I downloaded this firmware and I had to roll back to 2.5.2.4.

My devices continually lost connection and both satellites would repeatedly lose connection to the base.

This firmware is **NOT** production ready. I wouldn't recommend downloading and installing this.

2.5.2.4 is stable.. I WOULD recommend upgrading to 2.5.2.4 if you haven't already.

Don't waste your time with this 2.7.0.70.

2.5.2.4 is NOWHERE to be downloaded. I find it odd that Netgear keeps pushing various versions to the RBR and RBS50  devices. It has to either be a beta program or only people who forced and update gets a newer update. I wish Netgear would stop being Silent.

Message 9 of 63
tagteam
Virtuoso

@CrimpOn wrote:
ALL of the RBR50 firmware files that I have downloaded begin with "RBR50-V2" and installed just fine on my "V1" router.I think the "V" stands for "firmware version"

That is exactly correct. If you look at the past firmware versions, all of the "1 series" begin with "V1".

Message 10 of 63
CrimpOn
Guru

@tagteam wrote:

@CrimpOn wrote:
ALL of the RBR50 firmware files that I have downloaded begin with "RBR50-V2" and installed just fine on my "V1" router.I think the "V" stands for "firmware version"

That is exactly correct. If you look at the past firmware versions, all of the "1 series" begin with "V1".

This does not appear to be correct.  The Netgear support page for the V1 Orbi shows firmware versions from V1.1.0.16 (Initial Release) through V2.5.1.16 (current).  The V2 Orbi (no USB) was initially released with firmware 2.3.1.44, so the support page does not show "previous versions".  My original V1 Orbi (USB) came with V1.1.0.16 and has been updated as new releases come out until it is now at V2.5.1.16.

I downloaded the 2.3.1.44 zip file for V1 Orbi and for V2 Orbi.  A binary file comparison (Windows FC command) shows they are identical.

Message 11 of 63
Mstrbig
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

This does not appear to be correct.  The Netgear support page for the V1 Orbi shows firmware versions from V1.1.0.16 (Initial Release) through V2.5.1.16 (current).  The V2 Orbi (no USB) was initially released with firmware 2.3.1.44, so the support page does not show "previous versions".  My original V1 Orbi (USB) came with V1.1.0.16 and has been updated as new releases come out until it is now at V2.5.1.16.

I downloaded the 2.3.1.44 zip file for V1 Orbi and for V2 Orbi.  A binary file comparison (Windows FC command) shows they are identical.

@CrimpOn, Very interesting. If the binaries are the same, what part of the firmware supports the USB port programming, or is it just ignored on the Orbi V2 version?

Message 12 of 63
CrimpOn
Guru

@Mstrbig wrote:

@CrimpOn, Very interesting. If the binaries are the same, what part of the firmware supports the USB port programming, or is it just ignored on the Orbi V2 version?

nvram show on my V1 Orbi produces a bunch of parameters that mention usb:

root@RBR50:/# nvram show | grep usb
usb_enableHTTP=0
dgc_func_have_usb=1
usb_deviceName=readyshare
usb_enableFvia=1
usb_enableHvia=1
usb_enableUSB=0
failover_usb_proto=3g
usb_HTTP_via_port=443
usbDeviceName=/mnt/sda1
usb_enableFTP=1
usb_workGroup=Workgroup
usb_FTP_via_port=21
usb_enableNet=0

I do not have a V2 Orbi to test whether any of these parameters are different on the V2 model.

Message 13 of 63
tagteam
Virtuoso

@CrimpOn wrote:

@tagteam wrote:

@CrimpOn wrote:

This does not appear to be correct.  The Netgear support page for the V1 Orbi shows firmware versions from V1.1.0.16 (Initial Release) through V2.5.1.16 (current).

I'm not sure we're on the same page. What I meant was all of the firmware versions that being with a "1" (e.g., Version 1.4.0.18) have "V1" in their filenames. I'm 100% certain of that because I've downloaded and unzipped most of them.

Message 14 of 63
Richys
Guide

Lets try and clear a few things up. The messages under this V2.7.0.70 and all the messages under V2.5.2.4 all seem to nearly be correct, but muddle the correct and incorrect bits together.
The original RBR50 and RBS50, it was never called RBR50 V1, came out with a USB 2 port. This was NOT a working port. The original documentation stated it would be a furture update. It was never made to work... The RBR50 V2 and RBS50 V2 then came out with no USB port. Hence, I'm guessing, the download files for the RBR50 and RBR50 V2 are identical. No working USB on either. Same with satellites.
File names.. It is unfortunate that the router and satellite that came out later were called V2, as people are confusing the file name eg. V2.7.0.70 to mean this goes with V2 Router etc.
The original file names way back did start with V1.2.4.8 (made that no. up) but as they progressed as any update does it eventually changed to V2. etc.
So summary V2. file, is for RBR50 and in this case RBR50 V2.

Updates: I have the RBR50 and RBS50 x 2.
Mine auto updated to the V2.5.2.4, then within the last few days showed update available ( as against auto update) V2.7.0.70. I selected update. All went well and system works fine. However the Orbi app shows incorrect info and the web UI also shows wrong info.
I finally took the plunge and rolled them back to the official .16 firmware. The Orbi app and web UI now show correct info.
However and here's the kick, update available has now just shown up on the app and web ui for V2.7.0.70.. I will leave it there for a while to see what others find....
Cheers
Message 15 of 63
CrimpOn
Guru

Great summary. Thanks.
By the way, the USB port does "work". It just does not do what people are interested in (printer or USB hard drive). I use it to save WAN/LAN traffic to a USB stick for Wireshark analysis and Voxel uses it to keep configuration files over resets. He may even have other functions working on the USB port.
Message 16 of 63
Richys
Guide

Thanks for the statement re the USB port.
I thought it best not to mention that, as u say, it doesn't work for what most would try to use it for.
Cheers
Anyone else showing update to V2.7.0.70 available from V....16 and has anyone updated
Message 17 of 63
mrfranc
Apprentice

Two days with V2.7.0.70 and everything is fine and stable. I have the first RBK53 that cama out at Costco.

Message 18 of 63
FURRYe38
Guru

Orib users have the choice to not update and avoid the Orbi app notification if they choose too. 

Users are encouraged to find most current available official versions of FW on NG download site as well:

https://www.netgear.com/support/

@Richys wrote:
Lets try and clear a few things up. The messages under this V2.7.0.70 and all the messages under V2.5.2.4 all seem to nearly be correct, but muddle the correct and incorrect bits together.
The original RBR50 and RBS50, it was never called RBR50 V1, came out with a USB 2 port. This was NOT a working port. The original documentation stated it would be a furture update. It was never made to work... The RBR50 V2 and RBS50 V2 then came out with no USB port. Hence, I'm guessing, the download files for the RBR50 and RBR50 V2 are identical. No working USB on either. Same with satellites.
File names.. It is unfortunate that the router and satellite that came out later were called V2, as people are confusing the file name eg. V2.7.0.70 to mean this goes with V2 Router etc.
The original file names way back did start with V1.2.4.8 (made that no. up) but as they progressed as any update does it eventually changed to V2. etc.
So summary V2. file, is for RBR50 and in this case RBR50 V2.

Updates: I have the RBR50 and RBS50 x 2.
Mine auto updated to the V2.5.2.4, then within the last few days showed update available ( as against auto update) V2.7.0.70. I selected update. All went well and system works fine. However the Orbi app shows incorrect info and the web UI also shows wrong info.
I finally took the plunge and rolled them back to the official .16 firmware. The Orbi app and web UI now show correct info.
However and here's the kick, update available has now just shown up on the app and web ui for V2.7.0.70.. I will leave it there for a while to see what others find....
Cheers

Message 19 of 63
Mstrbig
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Orib users have the choice to not update and avoid the Orbi app notification if they choose too. 

Users are encouraged to find most current available official versions of FW on NG download site as well:

@FURRYe38 

Good advice because there are so many users, who have updated to newer firmware, to find they are now having various issues like slow speeds, devices not connecting or showing up in the GUI, etc. My personal RBK53 system has been 100% rock solid on 2.5.1.16. I've been tempted to update, because I generally go with the latest available firmware. However, I'm staying with 2.5.1.16 until a newer version is available on the official download site (https://www.netgear.com/support/download/). 

Message 20 of 63
FURRYe38
Guru

Same here, v16 seems the best version of FW to date. Minus maybe some device icon issues. FW is pretty good. I do wish NG would first let users beta test new versions of FW before pushing out thru the Orbi app. Let some of us smoke test them. 

@Mstrbig wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@FURRYe38 

Good advice because there are so many users, who have updated to newer firmware, to find they are now having various issues like slow speeds, devices not connecting or showing up in the GUI, etc. My personal RBK53 system has been 100% rock solid on 2.5.1.16. I've been tempted to update, because I generally go with the latest available firmware. However, I'm staying with 2.5.1.16 until a newer version is available on the official download site (https://www.netgear.com/support/download/). 

Message 21 of 63
Richys
Guide

Thats interesting. Mine is one of the original out of Costco also. I found the system was fine and stable on V2.7.0.70 also, as I previously stated, however the info on the web gui and the app were incorrect. One major one was 2.4ghz wireless was missing. It was working fine and my 2.4's were connected, however nothing existed according to app etc. The other was on the web gui the satellite's were disconnected. They weren't.
Have you by chance looked at that.
Regards
Message 22 of 63
mrfranc
Apprentice

Mine is showing each connection as it should (wired,2.4G,5G) on both app (iOS) and GUI.

Message 23 of 63
Richys
Guide

Message 24 of 63
Richys
Guide

Excellent. Maybe now that it is showing as an update on the app, they have sorted it. Still puzzles me as to why Netgear support have not commented at all, on these forums.
I suspect that V....16 was found to have security issues and they have been trying to fix it since. Is that thought a bit off course??
Thanks also to those with the extra info re USB port.
Message 25 of 63
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7