Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 2.7.0.70 is "out"

Mooose
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I do wish NG would first let users beta test new versions of FW before pushing out thru the Orbi app.

Considering not everyone is presented the opportunity to upgrade at the same time (I'm on V2.5.1.16, no update available) perhaps there is a beta program, you just do not know that you have been chosen for participation. Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 63
TRT1
Aspirant

Hmmm, I have been running 2.5.1.16 on both RBR50 & RBS50. I avoided 2.5.1.32 because the 16 version solved the problems I'd had for ages with device names, & didn't want to tempt fate.

After reading this I checked through myorbi.com.

First, system showed UPDATE 2.7.0.70 was available for RBS50 satellite. But no update available for RBR50.

Despite misgivings in this thread I updated the satellite.

Second, after logging back in system it showed RBS50 running 2.7.0.70, as expected. BUT now said there was an update available for RBK50 to 2.7.0.70 ????

So updated the RBK50.

Everything working fine so far.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 27 of 63
Richys
Guide

Seems like those on the official 16 firmware are now starting to get the 70 update. Be interesting to see how the app and web gui info pan out.
Message 28 of 63
TRT1
Aspirant

Came across this moderator comment on thread discussing Circle:

NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Circle "Something Went Wrong" on new RBR50 install

Hi @6ftoompa

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Firmware version 2.7.0.70 introduces NETEGAR Smart Parental Controls (SPC). This allows you to monitor your kids' online activity across their connected devices. 

Here's a reference of how to set it up: 

How do I set up and install NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls?

If you want to use Circlev1, you may need to downgrade the firmware to a lower version. If you have Circlev1 enabled, you can continue to use it even if the router upgrades to firmware v2.7.0.70 or higher. 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 29 of 63
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you powered OFF the RBS and RBR for 1 minute then back on to check the UI status? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update to see if this correct the UI issue? 

BE sure to clear out all browser caches. Check the status with a different browser to conpare.

@Richys wrote:
Thats interesting. Mine is one of the original out of Costco also. I found the system was fine and stable on V2.7.0.70 also, as I previously stated, however the info on the web gui and the app were incorrect. One major one was 2.4ghz wireless was missing. It was working fine and my 2.4's were connected, however nothing existed according to app etc. The other was on the web gui the satellite's were disconnected. They weren't.
Have you by chance looked at that.
Regards

Message 30 of 63
mrfranc
Apprentice

Forgot that one, I always power OFF the RBS and RBR for 1 minute then back on, after every update.

Message 31 of 63
Richys
Guide

Thanks re pwr off etc. I do always do that but made no difference. But for those interested, after rolling back to 16 firmware, which required new setup, several days later the 70 update showed on the app. I have just hit update ( couldn't resist) , updated very quickly, app, Ui, shows all correct info. That was with no power off. Since done the pwr off anyway, all still good. Device's are all correct also.
Maybe at last all sorted..
Message 32 of 63
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, I got this from a forum moderator:

"The FW v2.7.0.70 is for users that did not have CircleV1 activated. If user activated CircleV1 then they would get FW v2.5.2.4 update if not then they'll get v2.7.0.70. The team is planning to post first the v70 FW on our support site but no ETA provided."

Stay tuned. 

Message 33 of 63
mrfranc
Apprentice

I'm using Circle1 and, as you can see on the atached picture, my Orbi version is 2.7.0.70. Everything is working fine, so far. If it changes i will let you know.

Message 34 of 63
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@mrfranc wrote:

I'm using Circle1 and, as you can see on the atached picture, my Orbi version is 2.7.0.70. Everything is working fine, so far. If it changes i will let you know.

Message 35 of 63
Bin888
Aspirant

Suddenly there's a red button UPDATE shows up in my Orbi app, looks like it's just for the satellite.

Since 16 is working fine, I am very reluctant to proceed the update. Just got the SKIP option.
Message 36 of 63
Richys
Guide

The app update button will update router and satellites
Message 37 of 63
Kweh
Aspirant

Do not update your Orbi to 2.7.0.70! I had to roll back to 2.5.1.16 after it reset my admin password and failed to update the satellite.

Message 38 of 63
Bin888
Aspirant

Since the 70 isn't an official firmware update, i am going to skip it until it's official or someone has successfully installed it.  

It looks like some people are getting issues with this update and had to roll back to 16. 

Message 39 of 63
FURRYe38
Guru

NG is requesting that users do not post links to FW files from the auto update server. These are not meant for general public use and may cause problems. User should be using NGs main download site for any and all FW update files for download. 

Thank you.

@Joechang wrote:

• RBR: 

• RBS: 

Message 40 of 63
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes keep with v16 if you haven't seen this come thru the RBRs web page. I see some are seeing it on the Orbi app. I guess thats fine. NG told me that v2.7 is specific to Circle users. If users are not keen on updating and there systems are working fine, then skip the FW update seen in Orbi app and continue on. Users should not be downloading the files from the auto update links. Wait for official files to be posted on NG download site. 

@Bin888 wrote:

Since the 70 isn't an official firmware update, i am going to skip it until it's official or someone has successfully installed it.  

It looks like some people are getting issues with this update and had to roll back to 16. 

Message 41 of 63
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 42 of 63
nsguy
Tutor

Well its nice that "NG is requesting that users do not post links to FW files from the auto update server.".

The best method to avoid users doing this is to communicate clearly - something that NG does not seem very good at.

Explaining and communicating what each firmware is providing, who it is targeted at and why, would avoid this wild goose chase.

Having mismatched information between the support website, the product information website, the forums and then something potentially different installed on the actual device is not helpful. Consistent information and firmware rollouts would be a very welcomed improvement.

And instead of NG requesting users to request other users do something, perhaps they could comment directly.

Just a suggestion of course.

Message 43 of 63
Mstrbig
Master

Someone should make a STICKY, so everyone at least sees the topic, not to post those URLs, and also warn about the potential damage when manual updates of unofficial firmware are performed. Maybe also add warranty void statement or something similar. 

Message 44 of 63
nsguy
Tutor

Well I’m not sure about other countries but I am glad that here in Australia companies can’t just void their warranty because of manual updates. The Australian Consumer Law protects against unfair terms, one of which has been tested already relating to such as software installations.

I also disagree with others in this thread that suggest NG built, hosted and provided firmware is considered unofficial. If firmware (pushed as an automatic update) is provided to exactly the same product/device as someone else, it’s difficult to argue that the firmware is unofficial. There is a difference between unofficial and unreleased, beta or trial.

Worth keeping an eye on how this progresses because if there is a suggestion from NG that their haphazard approach to firmware rollouts may cause consumers to lose out, this would warrant a referral to the ACCC and Dept of Fair Trading.

I really feel for those in jurisdictions where there isn’t both federal and state laws that strongly protect consumers.
Message 45 of 63
NomadTech
Guide

What makes it unofficial? It's hosted on Netgear servers.

And what damage are you talking about?

Message 46 of 63
CrimpOn
Guru

@NomadTech wrote:

What makes it unofficial? It's hosted on Netgear servers.

And what damage are you talking about?

(just my two cents) "Official" means the manufacturer sends an announcement (email message, or banner on the admin system) or the procedure used on the product reveals new firmware (Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Administration, Firmware Update) reveals "New Firmware Available."  The manufacturer is saying, "I am putting you on notice that this firmware is available for your device."

So far, my Orbi app, my Orbi web interface Home Page, and my Orbi web interface Firmware Update web page have never given any indication that V2.5.1.16 is not the latest firmware for my RBR50.

When an enterprising person has discovered that what appears to be a newer firmware file can be found on a server, that does not seem to be "official".  Perhaps it was placed there because some users have been told that their systems should be updated.  Sort of like a manufacturer recall. "Your specific product is defective."

Damage?  People post all the time that they updated firmware and "NOW my Orbi is no longer working."  If the system gets "bricked" because the user decided to install firmware, that's their problem.  Another example, if I decide to install 3rd party firmware on my Orbi and the system gets bricked, I did it and I have to deal with the consequences.  Firmware somebody found a link to is not "official."

Message 47 of 63
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Under this firmware upgrade Netgear wants to force you to buy Smart Parental Controls (after a free 30 day trail). Instead of showing connected devices it now shows a history of previously connected devices and does not allow you to disable a device like you use to be able to. In addition, it does not display device status accurately. I do not want to pay for add ons, I just want it to extend my Wifi and work like I had originally bought it for. Netgear has lost my trust, they just want your money... Bad doggy!!!

Message 48 of 63
CrimpOn
Guru

For quite some time, Orbi firmware has touted Bitdefender Armor and Disney Circle. "pushy" but not mandatory.
Disturbing to think that "Attached" might no longer mean "at this time".
Message 49 of 63
mith_it
Luminary

Can you share screenshots? I don't read ALL posts here on the forums, but I don't remember anyone else mentioning this change. It would make most of the admin interface useless. I might be open to paying a subscription fee, but not after I spent 500 bucks upfront 

Message 50 of 63
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7