Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 / 2 RBS50 satellites - WiFI speed extremely slow

RWCaines
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 / 2 RBS50 satellites - WiFI speed extremely slow

We recently upgraded our Internet Service to 400Mbps through Spectrum but I can only obtain download speeds around 12-13Mbps over Wifi with the Orbi Router and two Satellites. What is also odd is that the Upload speeds are faster at 18 - 20 Mbps?

I am assuming it is in the settings but have not made any changes. Orbi router and satellites are upgraded to latest firmware 2.5.1.8 but this made no difference.

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi RBR50 / 2 RBS50 satellites - WiFI speed extremely slow

@RWCaines wrote:

We recently upgraded our Internet Service to 400Mbps through Spectrum but I can only obtain download speeds around 12-13Mbps over Wifi with the Orbi Router and two Satellites. What is also odd is that the Upload speeds are faster at 18 - 20 Mbps?

I am assuming it is in the settings but have not made any changes. Orbi router and satellites are upgraded to latest firmware 2.5.1.8 but this made no difference.

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated 

How long have you had your Orbi?  Has it ever worked properly?

2.5.1.8 has some issues

Message 2 of 33
plemans
Guru

What modem are you using from spectrum? 

What speeds do you get directly connected to the modem? 

What speeds do you get hardwired into the Orbi router? 

Message 3 of 33
RWCaines
Aspirant

We have had the Orbi about three years now, it seemed to work fine previously but to be honest, I never really checked the speeds until we upgraded our internet service with Spectrum. What I find odd is that the upload speed is faster than the download speed, it seems really strange to me

Thanks

Message 4 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@RWCaines wrote:

We have had the Orbi about three years now, it seemed to work fine previously but to be honest, I never really checked the speeds until we upgraded our internet service with Spectrum. What I find odd is that the upload speed is faster than the download speed, it seems really strange to me

Thanks

Message 5 of 33
RWCaines
Aspirant

The modem appears to be Spectrum's own, no other identifying markings on it. Connected directly to the modem, I am seeing speeds of 480 Mbps download and 22 upload.

Will have to check what i see hardwired to the Router, not easy to access, it is behind the TV in the family room

Thanks!

Message 6 of 33
RWCaines
Aspirant

I have not done a factory reset since the firmware update, that was just done today. I have done a factory reset a couple of times previously when i first noticed the speed issues after upgrading our service.

Message 7 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Look for a sticker on the bottom?

Built in router and wifi here by chance? 

Message 8 of 33
RWCaines
Aspirant

I cannot see any identifying marks on the modem other than Spectrum. Modem and Router are separate. Router WiFi is off, using it simply to provide ethernet ports

Thanks

Message 9 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

If there is a router built in to the modem, then this could also effect speeds between the modem and Orbi RBR. Even if wifi radios are turned OFF on the modem.

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Above suggestions working:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925

@RWCaines wrote:

I cannot see any identifying marks on the modem other than Spectrum. Modem and Router are separate. Router WiFi is off, using it simply to provide ethernet ports

Thanks

Message 10 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

like I said....2.5.1.8 has some issues

Message 11 of 33
AmanSingh
Tutor

I agree with you on 2.5.1.8, i have to factory reset every few days to get the speeds back. No fix provided by NetGear... waste of time and money
Message 12 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@AmanSingh wrote:
I agree with you on 2.5.1.8, i have to factory reset every few days to get the speeds back. No fix provided by NetGear... waste of time and money

Not to mention that some in here believe there is nothing wrong with these newly released FW updates.  Posting dozens of unrelated questions over and over again, certainly waste time.  Stay away from manual updates and those that advocate them.

Message 13 of 33
AmanSingh
Tutor

So a bug not always hits everyone but doesnt means it should not be fixed...

Moreover you ask to stay away from manual updates, then why does support pushes for manual updates.

Everytime i reboot the Router or even remove the internet cable from the router and insert it back, the wifi speed just reduces to half. Speed on LAN remains fine. And after factory reset it works... it is definitely firmware
Message 14 of 33
AmanSingh
Tutor

If someone who is facing similar issues and is aware about a stable version, let me know and i can try that as well.
Message 15 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch. IF this still fails to correct your problem or maintain operation, try downgrading to v30. 

Above suggestions working:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925

@AmanSingh wrote:

Moreover you ask to stay away from manual updates, then why does support pushes for manual updates.

Everytime i reboot the Router or even remove the internet cable from the router and insert it back, the wifi speed just reduces to half. Speed on LAN remains fine. And after factory reset it works... it is definitely firmware

Message 16 of 33
AmanSingh
Tutor

As instructed, followed steps below:

1. Factory Reset for RBS and RBR - Speed went back to normal 300mbps for me both download and upload

2. Downgraded the firmware - Speed Status upload went down to 50mbps on wifi and 150mbps on LAN

3. Factory Reset again - Speed Status back to normal 300mbps for both download and upload.

Will continue monitoring on this version, fingers crossed!

Message 17 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@AmanSingh wrote:

Support doesn't push manual updates.  Manual updates are commonly referred to as the ones YOU do my clicking on something.

NG only pushes updates that are critical.

You're confusing MANUAL and AUTO updates.

Just because a FW is being advertised as 'available' doesn't mean you must upload.  You do so at your own risk.

Message 18 of 33
AmanSingh
Tutor

That is what i meant by pushing.
Support always asks to run manual updates when you call in for issues.
Message 19 of 33
AmanSingh
Tutor

And i Agree with your comment, it is my choice to upgrade or not. But, when you buy a new router it usually comes with the latest version. In my case it was... so was not my choice of upgrade 🙂
Message 20 of 33
AmanSingh
Tutor

Also setting up through mobile app doesnt allows you to skip firmware upgrade.. which is also a bummer for someone who is setting this up for the first time. So he/she ends up with the new firmware if setup through the app which is where NG is directed towards setting up initially.
Message 21 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@AmanSingh wrote:
That is what i meant by pushing.
Support always asks to run manual updates when you call in for issues.

So....?   They like some gurus on here are grasping on straws.  Not to mention the dozens of different ways people run their networks with switchs, devices, and AP mode.  Its a wonder some of them even work at all.

Most of these FW problems have a history of their system at one time being stable and then they deceided to upgrade using a manual upgrade, only to have to revert back.

New users should let the Orbi update itsself when first installed and go from there.  Further manual updates may not be required.

Message 22 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@AmanSingh wrote:
Also setting up through mobile app doesnt allows you to skip firmware upgrade.. which is also a bummer for someone who is setting this up for the first time. So he/she ends up with the new firmware if setup through the app which is where NG is directed towards setting up initially.

So...don't use the app.

Message 23 of 33
AmanSingh
Tutor

Tell that to the documentation that comes up packed in the Orbi system package 🙂
Message 24 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@AmanSingh wrote:
And i Agree with your comment, it is my choice to upgrade or not. But, when you buy a new router it usually comes with the latest version. In my case it was... so was not my choice of upgrade 🙂

how did you know it did not come with the lastest version??   Most devices don't.   If the install process updating the FW and then your network broke, then yes, that could be consider something out of your control.

I'm more concerned about the happly clickers who must have the latest and greatest FW.

Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7