Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 404 Not Found

AdamGar
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 404 Not Found

My Frintier wireless router is connected to my Orbi via ethernet. If I connect directly to my router Wi-Fi I have no issues. If I connect to Orbi some websites give me a 404 page not found error.
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 101
ekhalil
Master

@AdamGar wrote:
My Frintier wireless router is connected to my Orbi via ethernet. If I connect directly to my router Wi-Fi I have no issues. If I connect to Orbi some websites give me a 404 page not found error.

This can happen if you have multiple IP networks.

Is your Orbi configured as Router- or AP Mode?

If in Router Mode, is your ISP router bridged or is it also functioning as router?

Message 2 of 101
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

FYI, Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router

@AdamGar wrote:

Message 3 of 101
AdamGar
Aspirant

Thanks. I’ll give this a try.
Message 4 of 101
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

Message 5 of 101
KerryBastow
Guide

I have the same problem as mentioned above but I am a bit tech naiive and I do not know how to check the things you have suggested.

Regards

Kerry

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 6 of 101
ekhalil
Master

A simple and quick way to test if you have double NAT is using traceroute.
Please open a Command Prompt on any computer attached to Orbi and type:
> tracert 8.8.8.8
Look at the result printout, If you see two private IP addresses listed in the first two hops then you have double NAT. If you see only one private address and the second hop shows a public address, then you’re all good. 🙂
Private IP addresses are usually something like 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x.
Message 7 of 101
KerryBastow
Guide

This is what I got

Message 8 of 101
Chuck_M
Mentor

So if you are in a double NAT condition, you have a couple of decisions to make as to how you will resolve the problem.

The end result is having only ONE router in your local network.

Your cable modem apparently has a wireless router built into it so that is one router, and your Orbi is another.

The first question you have to answer is "Where do I want my routing functions to be performed?"  Either Orbi, or your cable modem/router combination.  There are drawbacks and benefits to each course of action.  

In a perfect world, Orbi would handle all routing functions and your original cable/modem would handle none.

If the answer to "Where do I want my routing functions to be performed" is in the original  cable modem, you merely have to put orbi in AP (access point) mode and you are effectively done.   In this case I would also turn off any wireless functions of the original cable modem and let Orbi handle all wireless communications while the original device is handling all routing functions.

If the answer is that you want Orbi to handle all routing functions, there are other decisions you have to make.

Can your ISP provide you a replacement cable modem without a router in it?  (This is simplest course of action)

If not, Canyou bridge the original cablemodem/router combination to "turn off" routing functions so that Orbi can handle them?

If not, can you configure the original cablemodem/router combination to allow Orbi to work within what is known as the DMZ.

So each of these decisions will drive actions.

What is it you want to do?

Message 9 of 101
ekhalil
Master

@KerryBastow wrote:

This is what I got

@KerryBastow So this shows that you have double routers: the 10.0.0.1 is the Orbi and the 192.168.1.1 is the ISP router.

You need to keep only one of those routers.

As @Chuck_M mentioned you have 2 options:

1. The easiest option for you is to keep the ISP router as the router and change Orbi to AP Mode. You can do this by logging in to Orbi (use browser to access 10.0.0.1 and enter admin as user and the password) then do the follow the links below:

Untitled.png

2. The other option is to change in the ISP router as @Chuck_M explained above.

The difference between the two options is which box you want the router functionality (DDNS, VPN, Parental COntrol,...) to be provided: by. Orbi or the ISP router.

Message 10 of 101
FURRYe38
Guru

hat FW is currently loaded?

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.

@KerryBastow wrote:

I have the same problem as mentioned above but I am a bit tech naiive and I do not know how to check the things you have suggested.

Regards

Kerry

3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 11 of 101
KerryBastow
Guide

Thank you so much for your help guys, however, when I type in 10.0.0.1 it won't connect and says it has timed out????

Message 12 of 101
ekhalil
Master

Try disconnecting the cable between Orbi and ISP router then browse to 10.0.0.1.
Message 13 of 101
KerryBastow
Guide

Sorry still no luck 😞

Message 14 of 101
ekhalil
Master

What do you get when you type ipconfig in the command prompt of the pc you’re trying from
Message 15 of 101
KerryBastow
Guide

How do I get to command prompt????

Message 16 of 101
ekhalil
Master

@KerryBastow wrote:

How do I get to command prompt????

The same command propmpt that you used earlier when you did the tracert command, remember?

Orbi.png

Message 17 of 101
Chuck_M
Mentor

Click bottom left in windows next to windows symbol where it says TYPE HEAR TO SEARCH

Type CMD

Hit enter

voila!

Message 18 of 101
KerryBastow
Guide

This is what I get:

Message 19 of 101
Chuck_M
Mentor

was that a screenshot from the command tracert 8.8.8.8   

??  Try again please.

Message 20 of 101
KerryBastow
Guide

Is this right?

Message 21 of 101
ekhalil
Master

@KerryBastow It's strange that the PC is pointing to 192.168.1.1 as the gateway while the tracert showed that Orbi should have 10.0.0.1.

Can you please repeat the tracert that you did before from the same comuter. Here is what you got earlier:

Orbi (1).png

If this is still true then it seems that your computer is getting it's IP address from the ISP router and not from Orbi.

Message 22 of 101
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@KerryBastow wrote:

This is what I get:

Message 23 of 101
Chuck_M
Mentor

At the beginning of this post you mentioned you have Frontier and a Frontier provided wireless router. 

What is the make/model of that wireless router?  This is about the 5th time in this thread you have been asked this question and it is key to getting your problem solved.

Message 24 of 101
KerryBastow
Guide

Huawei HG659

Message 25 of 101
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 100 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements