Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 AC3000 not connecting to internet

mvpcurtis
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 AC3000 not connecting to internet

Hello. I'm having a problem setting up my Orbi mesh network system. Firstly, I live in the UK. I changed my internet provided from Sky to Virgin Media since Sky don't support/allow intergration of third party products (in this case my Orbi). I logged onto my Virgin Media Hub 3.0, switched it to modem mode and this action reset my Hub 3.0. I connect my Orbi router to the Hub 3.0 via ethernet cable (yellow slot labled "internet"), plugged in the power source for the Orbi and reset the Hub 3.0 again. I run the setup process on the Orbi app, scanned the QR code on the bottom of the Orbi router and went ahead setting up the mesh system. I've connected my satellite to my router (had a solid blue light), connected my Galaxy S10+ to ORBI80 network and continued with the setup. After a few minutes of trying to find an internet connection, the setup stops and alerts me that there's no internet connection.

I've done the steps about a few times but keep getting the same result so I disconnect the ethernet cable from the back of the Orbi router, connect it directly into my laptop and reset the Hub 3.0 again. After the couple of minutes it takes to boot up, I ping Google and everything is fine. I open up a browser and head over to Google and it loads perfectly. 

I've pulled up a video on my phone, followed the steps on that video but I keep getting stuck on the same thing (no internet connection).

The only thing I think it could be is outdated firmware?

Extra Information:

. The Orbi router is displaying a "solid white" light on the top ring.

. The Orbi satellite is "not" displaying any light at all on the top ring.

. Both the router and satellite have the green power light on.

. The Orbi satellite displayed a "solid blue" light for a minute or two when I paired it with the router.

. My Hub 3.0 is in modem mode and is "not" displaying any network for my wireless devices.

. I have "not" manually installed any type of firmware update (not to sure how).

. I have factory reset both the Orbi router and satellite.

If anyone is able to help me, that would be amazing! If anymore information is needed, please ask and I'll respond as soon as possible.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
mvpcurtis
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50 AC3000 not connecting to internet

Ok. So I dug deep and found out that my Hub3 can only give an active internet connection to "one" port in "modem mode". I had my downstairs Tivo box connected in port 1 of the Hub3 and my Orbi router in port 2. Now I don't think it matters which port you use as long as there is only one thing connected (in this case my Orbi) but I did see a few people mention that port 4 is the only active port when modem mode is active.

I can't believe it was something as simple as that but at least I now know haha.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
mvpcurtis
Aspirant

UPDATE:

I've downloaded the latest firmware update from https://netgear.com/support/download, logged into my Orbi network via orbilogin.net and manually updated the firmware. After everything finished updating and rebooting. I now have a "purple/magenta" on top of my Orbi router and still no internet connection. 

Thanks

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the RBR by pressing the reset button in back for 15 seconds then release. 

Power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds then back on. 

Wire connect 1 wired PC to the back of the RBR. 

Use a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard at 192.168.1.1.

Let u know if this helps. Be sure your modem is in bridge or modem only mode.

Message 3 of 8
mvpcurtis
Aspirant

Sorry for the late reply bud and I've tried this and I'm still receiving the purple light like there's no Internet connection reaching the Orbi router. I've left it a few hours but nothing changes. I've contacted support but I think I have to pay. I'm stumped...,
Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, somnething going on between the ISP modem and the RBR. 

Try the RBR with a different modem. If you have a friend, family or nieghbor that you can take the RBR to and run a quick test with. 

Message 5 of 8
mvpcurtis
Aspirant

So I put the Hub3 back into Router mode and I don't know it it's because I just left it for hours but eventually the Orbi network had an active Internet connection and no light was showing on top of the Orbi router.

So this morning, I enabled modem mode again on my Hub3 and I'm back in the same situation where the Orbi network has no connection and a solid purple light showing on top again of the Orbi router.
Message 6 of 8
mvpcurtis
Aspirant

Ok. So I dug deep and found out that my Hub3 can only give an active internet connection to "one" port in "modem mode". I had my downstairs Tivo box connected in port 1 of the Hub3 and my Orbi router in port 2. Now I don't think it matters which port you use as long as there is only one thing connected (in this case my Orbi) but I did see a few people mention that port 4 is the only active port when modem mode is active.

I can't believe it was something as simple as that but at least I now know haha.
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah ha....Glad you figured it out. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation