Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 - Backhaul status disconnected

goblea
Star

Orbi RBR50 - Backhaul status disconnected

I am having major issues with my Orbi system, I have the RBR50 in AP mode with a static IP along with 3 RBS50's as I have these at each TV location to give me cabled connections to my devices, the satellites all have static ip's and I can connect to the GUI's of each one, however on the AP GUI they are showing as disconnected backhaul status with no details.  I am running firmware 2.5.1.8 on all units and have reset the whole system and gone through settings others have suggested however I cannot get these to show connected or at least a stable connection for backhaul. 

The App shows all satellites are connected at 5GHZ but no devices connected but on the rGUI's of the satelites they have devices showing.

Any clues I've invested los of money into this system and I feel its wasted a the moment

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 - Backhaul status disconnected

What is the mfr and model# of the host router the Orbi RBR is connected too? 

What browser are you using when your checking the status on the RBRs web page? 

Are the RBS wirelessly or wire connected to the RBR? 

Does the RBS seem to be working even though they don't appear in the status? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

If you factory reset the RBR and the RBS, Try taking 1 RBS to the same room as the RBR. Be sure you clear all browser caches. Once the RBR is setup. Add the 1 RBS and let it sync wirelessly to the RBR. Check the status page. It should appear as a connected satellite and show a 5G wireless icon. 

Message 2 of 41
goblea
Star

Thanks for your ideas please see details;

Router Sky ER115 (Sky internet) firmware 2.12.2653.R

Using Macbook - Chrome and Safari

Wireless - Cabled is not an option

RBS - Yes they seem to be working

Some distances could be less than 30 feet as I need the Satellite at the TV points due to Sky Q boxes being really poor performance so hard wired into the RBS

The RBS have shown as connected like last night and now today no longer connected

Message 3 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

Having the RBS too close may cuase problems. 30 feet is key and around the range to start with RBS. A bit farther if possible.

I would do this, Turn OFF ALL RBS. Check the status on the RBR, if they had been connected and may now say disconnected. Select the remove button. Reboot the RBR and let it come to ready. Power ON just 1 RBS only. Just 1. When it's slowly pulsating WHITE, hit the sync button on the RBR then RBS. Let the RBS sync. I would use just the one for a white and keep checking the status. If it still remains, power ON the 2nd RBS and do same thing. Watch the status of the two RBS for while before attempting to synce up the 3rd RBS. 

RBS are using same version of FW as the RBR correct? 

Message 4 of 41
goblea
Star

Thanks again for your suggestions, not going to be happy if it is a distance thing as I need the ethernet connectivity at my tv points.

All devices are on the same firmware.  Will try your suggestions

House is about 1600sq ft

Message 5 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

1600 sq ft maybe too small to have 3 RBS. Just the RBR alone would work if placed well and just 1 RBS. I have a 5000sq  ft home and use the RBR up on 2nd level on one side of the home and just 1 RBS down in the basement opposite side from the RBR. 35-40 feet. Works wired or wireless. 

You can always extend ethernet connections by getting longer LAN cables between the RBS and the TVs. 

Message 6 of 41
goblea
Star

actually forgot I got 4 RBS !!! but thats in the garage across from the house again this now shows as disconnected.

Not easy to get cables to the devices in this house otherwise I would cable it but might have to see what I can do, this house is very weird for wifi as lots of chimneys which block alot of the signals, sounds like I might as well sell some of the devices, would be so much easier of Sky worked in my house.

Message 7 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Start with a minumal setup and add from there. Try just 1 RBS first. Maybe a 2nd RBS. Lets see where you get first.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 8 of 41
theoak
Luminary

Try down grading your firmware to 2.3.5.30.  The GUI seems to be more accurate with that version. 

I experienced essentially the same thing that you did with 2.5.1.8.

Message 9 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully won't have to downgrade...seem more like too much wifi going on in a small home. Hopefully the RBR and jsut 1 RBS will be able to work better...Hope they respond back. 

@theoak wrote:

Try down grading your firmware to 2.3.5.30.  The GUI seems to be more accurate with that version. 

I experienced essentially the same thing that you did with 2.5.1.8.

Message 10 of 41
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Answer is here:

Message 9 of 10

Message 11 of 41
zhang9211
Initiate

Same here. My system had been fine until the firmware was upgraded to 2.5.1.8.

Message 12 of 41
goblea
Star

Everyone is right on this thread, I have downgraded the firmware and its been solid since doing this but also I have removed 2 RBS50's and got coverage in my house and my SkyQ boxes are now working wirelessly without any issues like they were before.

Thanks to all that helped, going to stay on the previous firmware as its all working!!.  Thans all

Message 13 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Next time try a factoyr reset after applying a FW and and the status doesn't report correctly. v2.5.1.8 is currently working with my RBK50 and the back haul status reads correctly for both wired and wireless. 

Message 14 of 41
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 15 of 41
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

v2.5.1.8 is currently working with my RBK50 and the back haul status reads correctly for both wired and wireless. 

Just because a certain FW works on your network, does NOT mean ii's ready for prime time.  Once you figure out that across this community there are several different ways to run a network, you'll be better to help others, that includes your copy/paste responses.that often show your lack of reading and understanding the real problem. 

Message 16 of 41
BoilerPlate
Apprentice

It would be better if you maybe helped out in users problems and post instead on criticizing what others do to help out. You are the only one thats bothered. Never seen such a person so bothred by how users help others out. Seems that these users are helping people and seems that copy and paste is working. Compared to what you have done, other users are successful in helping others. Copy or paste or otherwise. Which makes me think you have no idea or knowledge or long term experience in what your doing, talking about or know about how routers or how things really work. Maybe take some networking classes before you come to join others in helping out. Forums are not here for you to criticize. They don't need to repsond to you nor report to you. Were all here of free will and volunteer. Would be best if you would work with others to help people in need. Stop criticizing. It's zero helpful. Users want help, not criticizms. If you don't like the way users are helping others, don't post, move on, or go else where they tollorate bothered people like you, if your not going to really help out.

You need to follow this:

"Be Respectful

We all have different personalities, and tone is very hard to convey when typing a message online. Keep that in mind when typing your responses, and make sure to keep your tone positive and constructive. Keep in mind that everyone is at a different level of online and technical proficiency, and they came here for help."

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Community-Welcome/NETGEAR-Community-User-Guidelines/m-p/1338880#M13

@Retired_Member wrote:

Just because a certain FW works on your network, does NOT mean ii's ready for prime time.  Once you figure out that across this community there are several different ways to run a network, you'll be better to help others, that includes your copy/paste responses.that often show your lack of reading and understanding the real problem. 

Message 17 of 41
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@BoilerPlate wrote:

It would be better if you maybe helped out in users problems and post instead on criticizing what others do to help out. You are the only one thats bothered. Never seen such a person so bothred by how users help others out. Seems that these users are helping people and seems that copy and paste is working. Compared to what you have done, other users are successful in helping others. Copy or paste or otherwise. Which makes me think you have no idea or knowledge or long term experience in what your doing, talking about or know about how routers or how things really work. Maybe take some networking classes before you come to join others in helping out. Forums are not here for you to criticize. They don't need to repsond to you nor report to you. Were all here of free will and volunteer. Would be best if you would work with others to help people in need. Stop criticizing. It's zero helpful. Users want help, not criticizms. If you don't like the way users are helping others, don't post, move on, or go else where they tollorate bothered people like you, if your not going to really help out.

You need to follow this:

"Be Respectful

We all have different personalities, and tone is very hard to convey when typing a message online. Keep that in mind when typing your responses, and make sure to keep your tone positive and constructive. Keep in mind that everyone is at a different level of online and technical proficiency, and they came here for help."

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Community-Welcome/NETGEAR-Community-User-Guidelines/m-p/1338880#M13

@Retired_Member wrote:

Try just once, to answer a question (after you read it) to answer the question(s) without a copy paste answer.  You're the only one I've seen do this.  It's like you're trying to be all things to all people. 

Message 18 of 41
Loccs26
Aspirant

I am about to "downgrade" my firmware as well. Through the web GUI, it shows my satellites connected but teh backhaul disconnected. My phone Orbi app shows them connected with IP's but no devices will connect. This is beyond frustrating. 

Message 19 of 41
goblea
Star

I had multiple issues with overloading on the Satelittes so since removing 2 the system has been better but also since the firmware downgrade the back haul has been perfect however I am tempted to update to see if it was the other issue causing the issue.

Message 20 of 41
Loccs26
Aspirant

I tried downgrading the satellites to V2.3.5.30 first and keeping the router on V2.5.1.8 to see if that made a difference, it didn't. I am downgrading my router now hoping that it fixes the issue. 

Message 21 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

@goblea @Loccs26 

RBR and RBS should be on the same version of FW. 

After updating FW to v2.5.1.8, be sure to factory reset the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch. I would walk the setup wizard and skip adding the RBS during the wizard process. Once the wizard completes, add 1 RBS wirelessy to the RBR wile having them in the same room as the RBR. Add them one at a time while checking the back haul status with a PC and web browser opened to the RBRs web page. Once they are added and you see the back haul. Power them off and place back in remote locations. 

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 22 of 41
Loccs26
Aspirant

Yes they are on the same version of firmware. However the downloads have different names. For example:

RBS50-V2.3.5.30

RBR50-V2.3.5.30

There is no reason to factory reset the devices when the older version of the firmware takes and the backhaul status appears. It is a bug in the new firmware. 

Message 23 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Something I haven't seen with v2.5.1.8 loaded. Others as well. A reset is needed if the status isn't working for you after upgrading FW. 

If you have v30 loaded then keep it loaded. 

Message 24 of 41
Loccs26
Aspirant

I will, just learned that from the upgrade fiasco. 

Message 25 of 41
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 14 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7