Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 - Backhaul status disconnected

FURRYe38
Guru

If you feel the FW isn't working for you, please file a support ticket here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

Enjoy. 

Message 26 of 41
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If you feel the FW isn't working for you, please file a support ticket here:

Enjoy. 

Any STOP performing manual fw updates and practice social distancing from those who continue ignore to the obvious 

Message 27 of 41
Loccs26
Aspirant

I don't need to. I'll enjoy the old firmware until it works itself out. The forum's contain enough to clues for the devs.

Message 28 of 41
bigiron
Aspirant

I also have an RBR50 (AP mode) with two RBS50 (satellite) with the latest buggy firmware (V2.5.1.8).  My satellites' backhaul status is also showing disconnected and no connected devices in the two satellites.  This status is wrong because my wireless and wired devices connected to the satellites can reach the Internet.

Here are some steps I used to verify:

1. Using the orbi phone app, go to "Network Map", tap the satellite icon and click "Details" to get the IP address of the satellite.

2. Using a laptop connected to the wifi, ping the IP address of the orbi router and each of the satellite, the IP address that has the lowest "round trip time in ms" is most likely the device that your laptop is connected to, it could be the router or the satellite.

3. Login to the satellite management dashboard by going to https://<satellite-ip-address>/ , accept the certificate warning, login using the same credential as the router.

4. Click on "Connected Devices", you should see the correct list of devices.  In my case, the RBS50 that had the lowest ping latency also had the IP address of my laptop in the connected devices list.

I have about 26 devices in my network.  It's a mix of wired and wireless devices and they're all working fine.  That's why when I only saw 10 devices showing in the router, I know it's lying. I'm not going to downgrade the firmware because it works. Not seeing the real list of devices is not bothering me because I can still view them by going directly to the satellites. But downgrading to the older firmware might be the solution for other users.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 29 of 41
Atreides
Tutor

New firmware messed up my system exactly as people here have stated. A full factory reset of my router and 2 satelittes have returned the Backhaul status to good but my devices are still hidden. This is insane that we would have to reset everything and still there is issues. I may have to downgrade the firmware but I would like to stay up to date. 

What is Netgear doing?!

Message 30 of 41
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Atreides wrote:

New firmware messed up my system exactly as people here have stated. A full factory reset of my router and 2 satelittes have returned the Backhaul status to good but my devices are still hidden. This is insane that we would have to reset everything and still there is issues. I may have to downgrade the firmware but I would like to stay up to date. 

What is Netgear doing?!

All you have to do is do nothing , ......as in STOP doing manual firmware updates

Netgear will push all critical updates automatically no action required on your part.  

Message 31 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

You can rollback to a previous version by re-installing your previous version over the current version.  All supported RBK50 firmware versions can be downloaded from here.

To (re)install firmware, head over to ADVANCED Firmware Update page and select the Manual Update.  Then upload the firmware version you want to install.  Repeate the same steps for all the Satellites.  To access the Satellite UI, points your browser at its IP address.

Users are encouraged to file a support ticket here to let NG know what your seeing:

Good luck!

@Atreides wrote:

What is Netgear doing?!

Message 32 of 41
Atreides
Tutor

I logged into the Web UI to look for a device on my network. I see a pop-up saying there is a firmware update. I can understand there being bugs and quirks with a new update. But for people's entire network map to stop working and backhaul status break. I even had trouble reconnecting the Satellites after Factory Resetting it so I could downgrade the firmware.

So I think its reasonable that if a trusted networking company is suggesting I upgrade, then we should expect it not to upend our system in this way.

And yes I did downgrade as it was the only way I can could see my network devices again. I went from around 40 to only being able to see 10. But they were connected and getting internet, both wired and wireless. I tried full factory reset of all the Router and Satellites and that still did not work. Downgrade worked for me. 

Message 33 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 34 of 41
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Factory resets are for lost passwords 

Message 35 of 41
Atreides
Tutor

Factory resetting only temporarily fixed the backhaul status which it eventually lost. But did not fix the 20 odd devices connected but missing in Attached Devices. They also did not show up in the Orbi app under the satellites

Downgrade fixed it all for me.
Message 36 of 41
2intense
Tutor

I am having the same problem as the others. All of my satellites show "disconnected" under backhaul status. I tried factory reset on router and all satellites and they reconnected for a couple minutes and went back to "disconnected". Ugh! Do I need to roll back my firmaware? If I do, then do I also need to turn off auto updates for the firmware? When will Netgear fix this?

HELP...

(RBR50, Firmware Version 2.5.1.8, macOS 10.15.3) 

Message 37 of 41
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@2intense wrote:

I am having the same problem as the others. All of my satellites show "disconnected" under backhaul status. I tried factory reset on router and all satellites and they reconnected for a couple minutes and went back to "disconnected". Ugh! Do I need to roll back my firmaware? If I do, then do I also need to turn off auto updates for the firmware? When will Netgear fix this?

HELP...

get rid of 2.5.1.8 and you'll be fine

Message 38 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Updat to v16 on the RBS first then the RBR lastly. 

Factory reset and setup from scratch after the update. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

@2intense wrote:

HELP...

Message 39 of 41
Retired_Member
Not applicable

factory resets are for lost passwords

Message 40 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

What the PW recovery feature is for. 

Message 41 of 41
Top Contributors