Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 - Constant dropping when streaming to Roku - Can't update firmware! HELP!

Mardi
Initiate

Orbi RBR50 - Constant dropping when streaming to Roku - Can't update firmware! HELP!

My Orbi started dropping my signal every few minutes for streaming. I am ok on my computer. Here is my configuration RBR50 Firmware: 2.2.1.210 Windows 10. My Orbi is set to autoupdate firmware, but it is not doing it. I don't know what is going on. I tried reading the other postings, but nothing matched what is going on with my system. I have a Roku 3 that I use to stream.

I would appreciate any help you can give me. I'm really frustrated with this -- I don't know what to do.

Thank you!

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 - Constant dropping when streaming to Roku - Can't update firmware! HELP!

You have two issues.

1. Updating firmware.  The "210" release is the most current that Netgear has pushed to customers.  Firmware 2.3.0.32 was available to people who wanted to do a manual update (in search a solution to a problem, or just because they wanted to "live on the edge.")  The people who did that woke up one day and found that their Orbi had been updated by Netgear to 2.3.1.44.  As long as you "do nothing", your Orbi will stay on 210 until Netgear is ready to push out an update.  If you want to give the new firmware a try, there are instructions in several of the forums about how to download and manually update.
  2. Roku streaming is a different issue.  It was "working fine" for some time, and just recently began having problems?  What does the Orbi app (Apple or Android) show about the Roku Wi-Fi connection?
Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 - Constant dropping when streaming to Roku - Can't update firmware! HELP!

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Mardi wrote:

My Orbi started dropping my signal every few minutes for streaming. I am ok on my computer. Here is my configuration RBR50 Firmware: 2.2.1.210 Windows 10. My Orbi is set to autoupdate firmware, but it is not doing it. I don't know what is going on. I tried reading the other postings, but nothing matched what is going on with my system. I have a Roku 3 that I use to stream.

I would appreciate any help you can give me. I'm really frustrated with this -- I don't know what to do.

Thank you!

Message 3 of 4
Mardi
Initiate

The Orbi shows both of my Roku's as online. Both Roku's are wired connections. I have checked my Roku and it is up to date on its software. I don't know if the issue is with my Roku or my Orbi. I checked my connections and they seemed to be fine, but last night, after a few hours of trying to troubleshoot this issue, I disconnected everything and reconnected it. Now it seems to be working, but I don't know how long it will work. Thank you..

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7