Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi (RBR50) DNS keeps failing.

ewmgomes
Tutor

I got the beta firmware 2.7.2.106.

I turned on the traffic meter again (just for challenging, I do not use that).

Let see if the issue comes back.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 26 of 43
lukedude
Tutor

I'm having the same issue on my RBR850 but every time I roll back to the old firmware it immediately rolls forward to V3.2.18.1_1.4.14. I did a factory reset (per instructions from the tech I called) and it still goes right back to the latest broken firmware with the DNS issue. Does anyone have advice for me?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 27 of 43
CrimpOn
Guru

@lukedude wrote:

I'm having the same issue on my RBR850 but every time I roll back to the old firmware it immediately rolls forward to V3.2.18.1_1.4.14. I did a factory reset (per instructions from the tech I called) and it still goes right back to the latest broken firmware with the DNS issue. Does anyone have advice for me?

Does the RBR850 have the option to either (a) disable the automatic Daylight Saving Time adjustment or (b) disable Traffic Meter?

Message 28 of 43
lukedude
Tutor

@CrimpOn wrote:

@lukedude wrote:

Does the RBR850 have the option to either (a) disable the automatic Daylight Saving Time adjustment or (b) disable Traffic Meter?

Yes it has both of those options but my DNS issue persists even if I have both disabled

Message 29 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Intermittent-DNS-Errors-and-WiFi-Issues/td-p/1950768/jump-t...

Thank you.

@lukedude wrote:

Message 30 of 43
CrimpOn
Guru

@lukedude wrote:

Yes it has both of those options but my DNS issue persists even if I have both disabled

When a post gets as long as this one, terms like "I'm having the same issue on my RBR850" can be confusing when the origiinal discussion was regarding a specific issue with the original Orbi (not the AX).

@FURRYe38has a valid point.  The most efficient way forward might be to start a new post in the AX forum describing the problem that exists today.  i.e. how is DNS "failing"?  How often? etc.  Those of us who do not have the AX product are not able to examine the problem or comment the way people can who actually have an AX Orbi.

Message 31 of 43
WillRXR
Star

Hi,

It appears that this is a common problem that NETGEAR has failed to adquately address for months now.

I also had the problem but have been successful at eliminating the issue by manually rolling back to the penultimate version of the firmware and turning off automatic updates.  My ORBI system appears to be working well, but, of course, I'm anxious that some features in the newer firmware dealt with security and as a result, I'm missing those.

Regardless, I can suggest only that you follow the same procedure as I did.  It does seem to work.  It is annoying and time-consuming.  I understand that, but it's less expensive than buying a whole new router system.  Should NETGEAR fail to both acknowledge and repair this issue, I suppose that eventually we'll have no choice.

Hope that this helps.

Wil

Message 32 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

You sure about that?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Daylight-Savings-Time-NTP-DNS-Issues/m-p/2080475/highlight/tru...

@WillRXR wrote:

Hi,

It appears that this is a common problem that NETGEAR has failed to adquately address for months now.

Message 33 of 43
WillRXR
Star

Yes, actually.  First, this isn't a solution; it's a workaround.  Second, it doesn't work for me.  Third, a solution would be a working piece of software that doesn't require user fiddling, especially since most users don't want to fiddle.

Message 34 of 43
WillRXR
Star

If you're using an RBR50, you can roll back the firmware by going to netgear and downloading the last firmware file before the current one.  The one I'm using is V2.6.1.40.  (I left  V2. 7.2.104 on my satellites.  The newer firmware doesn't appear to affect them.)  

Go to the Advanced tab on the router.  Then Administration.  Select Firmware Update.  Then select the Manual Update tab on the top of the Update page.  

Browse for the file you've downloaded from Netgear.  Once it's located, hit the Upload button.  Once installed, it should stay installed until you ask the router to update the firmware again, either manually or using the Check for Update feature.

While I recognize that this is a workaround, it suffices well and requires nothing more.  Eventually, I suppose, Netgear will fix the bug in the current version of the software.  

Good luck.

Wil

Message 35 of 43
CrimpOn
Guru

Apart from the semantic issue of the meaning of "solution", it appears to me that @lukedude is reporting a DNS issue with an RBR850, not an RBR50. (Post #30)

No previous RBR50 firmware will install on an RBR850.

I do not recall seeing posts that the RBR850 was subject to the iidentical Traffic Meter/Daylight Saving Time issue as the RBR50.

But then, I do not read the AX forum because I do not have one.

I continue to suggest that creating a new post in the AX forum is the most expeditious way to address this issue.

Message 36 of 43
WillRXR
Star

Could be.  I got involved in this because of my RBR50 and posted in a stream for that. 

Either way, I suspect the same solution will work for his mode except that he'll have to look for the proper earlier firmware download under his model on the Netgear site.  Even so, thanks for pointing that out.  

It will be good when Netgear fixes this and people aren't in a frenzy to get their systems working.  Most folks don't want to deal with this stuff, I think.  They just want their systems to work so they can do business.  Indeed, I'd say that most see this as Netgear's responsibility since they're the vendor of the gadgets.  We are purchasers.  

Message 37 of 43
lukedude
Tutor

Thanks for the attempt but 9 months is far too long for this issue to have been active. I returned my orbi to Amazon.

Message 38 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try the offered beta FW version mentioned in the link provided the early post. 

@WillRXR wrote:

Could be.  I got involved in this because of my RBR50 and posted in a stream for that. 

Either way, I suspect the same solution will work for his mode except that he'll have to look for the proper earlier firmware download under his model on the Netgear site.  Even so, thanks for pointing that out.  

It will be good when Netgear fixes this and people aren't in a frenzy to get their systems working.  Most folks don't want to deal with this stuff, I think.  They just want their systems to work so they can do business.  Indeed, I'd say that most see this as Netgear's responsibility since they're the vendor of the gadgets.  We are purchasers.  

Message 39 of 43
WillRXR
Star

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you.  There are many manufacturers of routers out there.  I'm sure you'll find one that does what you need without the aggravation.

Wil

Message 40 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try Voxels FW for Orbi:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...

You can revert back to stock FW if it doesn't work out for you. 

Message 41 of 43
Ragar99
Luminary

@CrimpOn wrote:

The solutions of disabling automatic Daylight Saving Time or disabling Traffic Meter made the problem stop. (Certainly did for me.)  We no longer experience the problem.  That seems to be the definition of a "solved."

All you have to do is uncheck DST and the problem goes away?   Oh the injustice to the 0.01% that look at logs for having to remember that logs are 1 hour off!  Someone needs to file a class action lawsuit against Netgear!

Message 42 of 43
WillRXR
Star

I see your point, but since it cripples another function of the Router - ones that folks might like to have, I don't think it's a complete solution.  Hence, I'd call it a workaround.  Again, I'd say it's Netgear's responsibility to fix this, not their customers.

Message 43 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7