Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 Daisy Chain limit

Kanhaiya
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 Daisy Chain limit

Hi,
I want to daisy chain a new satellite I purchased (RBS50) to my existing setup router>satellite1>satellite2 (RBR50 setup)
However I’m unable to do so, The satellite gets connected to the router directly but when I place it on the intended location the Amber light stays on! also it’s not possible for me to move the router in between so I will have to manage latency issues (if any).
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

The Orbi usually comes from the factory with "Daisy Chain" enabled, but it would be useful to check.

On the Orbi web interface, the Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Wireless Settings there is a box "Enable Daisy Chain Technology" that should be checked.

After the satellite has been sync'd to the router, I would power it off and move it close to the existing satellite, then power it on.  It should sync with the satellite over the router at that point.  Then, move it to its final location.  The final location has to be close enough to the satellite to get a good signal (Blue Ring light).

Message 2 of 8
Kanhaiya
Aspirant

ah, thanks! Will try it out and let you know how it goes.. 🙂

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 8
Kanhaiya
Aspirant

well i reset the new sattelite multiple times, it gets conntected to the router but when i move it to its final intended location, it doesn't connect to any other sattelite

My current setup has 1 router and 2 sattelites, connected as below across 2 floors

Router > Sattelite 1 > Sattelite 2

I want the 3rd sattelite i'm adding at the end of the chain like so:

Router > Sattelite 1 > Sattelite 2 > Sattelite 3

BTW i checked and Daisychain is enabled  on the Netgear Webinterface, please help..

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

When the 3rd Satelite is on and online, reboot the RBR while leaving the RBSs on. Does the 3rd RBS connect to any of the other RBSs? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 5 of 8
Kanhaiya
Aspirant

hey, rebooted the RBR but the 3rd still didn't connnect.

Also the 3rd Sattelite connects to others, i just interchanged the 2nd sattelite with the 3rd one (like so: Router > Sattelite 1 > Sattelite 3 > Sattelite 2) and its working fine but now the 2nd sattelite is not working.

Note: I am not using a hub-spoke connection of Sattelite to Router, only 1 sattelite is connected to the Router and the other sattelite is connected to the first one [Router > Sattelite 1 (connected to router) > Sattelite 2 (connected to first sattelite) > Sattelite 3 (want it to be connected to Sattelite 2 but its not working!]

The first sattelite is about 25 ft away, the 2nd satt is within 20 ft (vertical distance, 1st floor) from the first and same for the 3rd sattelite from the 2nd sattelite (3rd satt is on 2nd floor). 2nd and 3rd Satt are near the stairs and not too much interference in range. 

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Distance maybe too close. 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBSs

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Kanhaiya wrote:

hey, rebooted the RBR but the 3rd still didn't connnect.

Also the 3rd Sattelite connects to others, i just interchanged the 2nd sattelite with the 3rd one (like so: Router > Sattelite 1 > Sattelite 3 > Sattelite 2) and its working fine but now the 2nd sattelite is not working.

The original question may be valid, "How many satellites can be in a "Daisy Chain?"  You may be the first person to attempt this configuration.  I seriously doubt that feet of separation affects whether satellites will "sync" or not.  After all, we routinely advise people to place satellites "in the same room" as the router during the initial setup, or when first attempting to switch to ethernet backhaul.  "Too close" certainly has an adverse effect on (a) overall coverage area and (b) interference between units, but for the backhaul radios, probably "closer is better."

I doubt that back in 2016 when Netgear was designing this product they envisioned customers stringing three satellites in a row.

Alas, unless another user has three satellites and wants to perform an experiment, only Netgear engineering can answer the initial question ("how many?"), and they do not participate in community forums.  (Maybe their managers expect them to work on assigned tasks rather than spend hours poking around in user forums.)

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7