Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 Device Names not Saving

LimeyBob
Aspirant

Lost Device Names and Types in firmware upgrade 20 2.5.0.28 - wont let me change them

I think Netgear you should really take a look at your release testing this is a basic error and could have been easily found.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 26 of 116
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@LimeyBob wrote:

Lost Device Names and Types in firmware upgrade 20 2.5.0.28 - wont let me change them

I think Netgear you should really take a look at your release testing this is a basic error and could have been easily found.

How did you get/install 20 2.5.0.28 ??

Message 27 of 116
LimeyBob
Aspirant

20 was and error it is release 2.5.0.28

I did the upgrade from the router

Message 28 of 116
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@LimeyBob wrote:

and now you find that 2.5.0.28 has its problems as well.  You're better off NOT doing manual upgrades.

Message 29 of 116
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you referring to v2.5.0.38?

NG is aware of the naming device issue. Its nothing critical so if your bothered by this, you can down grade and wait for next FW update. 

@LimeyBob wrote:

Message 30 of 116
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

I likewise have experienced the device naming issue with the V2.5.0.38 firmware release.  The device names became completely messed up with the firmware update from V2.3.5.30.  I also reset to factory settings (both through the GUI and repeated with the reset button) and manually reprogrammed the router and found that I could not edit several of my devices model, name or type.  I have attempted to roll back to V2.3.5.30, but the router and satellites upgrade themselves again to the broken firmware when connected to the internet.

It is very disappointing that a company like Netgear continues to release buggy firmware on the Orbi hardware.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 31 of 116
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@tomschmidt wrote:

I likewise have experienced the device naming issue with the V2.5.0.38 firmware release.  The device names became completely messed up with the firmware update from V2.3.5.30.  I also reset to factory settings (both through the GUI and repeated with the reset button) and manually reprogrammed the router and found that I could not edit several of my devices model, name or type.  I have attempted to roll back to V2.3.5.30, but the router and satellites upgrade themselves again to the broken firmware when connected to the internet.

It is very disappointing that a company like Netgear continues to release buggy firmware on the Orbi hardware.

Sad.....and to think....all of this due to a manual firmware update

Message 32 of 116
FURRYe38
Guru

NG is aware of the naming device issue. Its nothing critical so if your bothered by this, you can down grade and wait for next FW update. 

@tomschmidt wrote:

Message 33 of 116
schornstadt
Tutor

Your response is a joke!

Message 34 of 116
FURRYe38
Guru

Theres nothing we can do here in the forums so it all in NG hands. Either wait or revert. 

Good Luck. 

Message 35 of 116
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@schornstadt wrote:

Your response is a joke!

Sometimes the truth hurts.  

Message 36 of 116
RodanThrelos
Tutor

@schornstadt wrote:

Your response is a joke!

Hey Buddy, I know that you're frustrated but the naming issue is such a minor issue that we can all wait for a fix.  I'm not sure if you've done any coding or bug fixing, but things sometimes just break with no warning or reason.  As we've said before, the first few name changes stick, so there's really no way for them to check for something like this.

Just relax and wait for the fix like the rest of us.

Message 37 of 116
Hixz
Guide

I agree, VAJim and his responses are a joke. This isn't 2005 and the Orbi is advertised as a product for the masses. The Orbi app has almost all advanced functionality stripped from it BUT even has the ability to easily update the FW in it... but yet it's everyone's fault for updating the FW.

The device name bug has occured in other releases, it should be a part of regression testing by now. It's also present on the majority of users, not just a few one off configurations. 

At least Furry makes sensible posts to help people, but VAJim just blaming people on updating in this day and age is laughable. Can't wait to see his next response blaming consumers on updating. With a mentality like that, you could never run a business. Cheers.

Message 38 of 116
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Hixz wrote:

I agree, VAJim and his responses are a joke. This isn't 2005 and the Orbi is advertised as a product for the masses. The Orbi app has almost all advanced functionality stripped from it BUT even has the ability to easily update the FW in it... but yet it's everyone's fault for updating the FW.

The device name bug has occured in other releases, it should be a part of regression testing by now. It's also present on the majority of users, not just a few one off configurations. 

At least Furry makes sensible posts to help people, but VAJim just blaming people on updating in this day and age is laughable. Can't wait to see his next response blaming consumers on updating. With a mentality like that, you could never run a business. Cheers.

The only joke to be found in my responses is in the moment you and others made the decision to upgrade your firmware manually.  It was your decision and now you come in here and complain.

The background is that NG tried to accommodate folks and did change their policy from pushing ALL firmware updates to now only pushing those that contain major revisions.  The other updates you see on the login are available but NOT required.  User beware, live on the edge, or be proud of your beta tester card.

There is enough blame to go around for both NG and those that are click happy.  I only try to remind folks that things were fine before they jumped off the cliff.  Enjoy the ride.

Message 39 of 116
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi works for me and others as well with v38 aside the device naming issue. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-RBS50-Tips-Tricks-Hidden-Secrets-etc/m-p/1820477/hi...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Speeds-have-plummeted-after-latest-update/m-p/1819282/highligh...

Im here, with others, to help get users systems up and runniing regardless of version of FW. Orbi does work. Just need to take time to help everyone out when these problems arise. Smart or not smart. Smiley Wink

NG isn't perfect not are other router Mfrs. Maybe some do it better then others. However this is NG and we have NG products. So were here to get the problems solved as best as we can. It's unfortunate that some have the support skills, experience and don't understand this. 

@Hixz wrote:

Message 40 of 116
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Orbi works for me and others as well with v38 aside the device naming issue. 

Im here, with others, to help get users systems up and runniing regardless of version of FW. Orbi does work. Just need to take time to help everyone out when these problems arise. Smart or not smart. Smiley Wink

NG isn't perfect not are other router Mfrs. Maybe some do it better then others. However this is NG and we have NG products. So were here to get the problems solved as best as we can. It's unfortunate that some have the support skills, experience and don't understand this. 

Not smart translates to wasting peoples time.

You would be a better service to this community, in the case of firmware, to at least advertise, as I have being saying all along, the current NG firmware policy and how it relates to updates.  How easily we forget NGs ‘push-all’ policy of the past and all those who cried.

Most who have experienced problems performing manual firmware updates could have avoided their setback had they done a simple search in this community and read the results.  In your effort to get users systems up and running, education should be key and that’s the part I believe you’re missing, providing a means to avoid problems like this to begin with.

You obviously have a wealth of NG product knowledge; however, in your situation it appears to be more of a case where you have the opportunity to copy/paste more prerecorded responses thus inflating your value to the community. 

At the end of the day, one can only surmise that you advocate folks updating their firmware manually at all costs thus fine-tuning a bad firmware version, which in reality only provides a band-aid to firmware quality control.  After all, it works for you, why not all?

Message 41 of 116
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Looks like my last post has been removed.....so sad.

Message 42 of 116
singhravik
Guide

WoW, joking and laughing at customer's expense !

Someday they will be laughed at.

Message 43 of 116
FURRYe38
Guru

Care to give v40 a try? Looks like one user said the naming of devices seems fixed for him. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Where-are-the-device-names-located-when-in-a-telnet-session/td...

@RodanThrelos wrote:

I'm using the RBR50 through my Verizon Router as an AP and I'm trying to change the device names of my connected devices to know which device is which.  Initially, when I was setting up the first few devices, I changed their names through the iOS app, and they changed (although one or two I had to do more than once for it to stick).  Now I'm attempting to finish with the last few devices and nothing I do makes the name changes stick.

I've tried through the app, but as soon as I refresh, the name and icons revert back to what they started with.  I attempted to use the browser client (both with Chrome and Edge), and I had the same problem.  In fact, almost none of my changes through the web client made any difference.  I have tried rebooting the Orbi router, to no avail.  There seems to be no corellation between the devices; they range between iPods to Computers to game consoles, both connected to the Base and to the Satellite.

I'm pulling my hair out!

Message 44 of 116
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

I manually updated my firmware from V2.5.0.38 to V2.5.0.40 to see if it would also fix the device naming issue.  It did for some devices, but others it will not allow me to change.  So the v40 hot fix did not resolve the device naming issue.  Note that I did not do a factory reset as it takes me hours to reconfigure the device manually.

Message 45 of 116
Divamatrix
Tutor

It's not a showstopper? Speak for yourself!!!! Being able to track down and label my devices is actually one of the biggest selling points for why I bought an Orbi. I use the orbi app to help me monitor and control network access. I cant even keep track of what is what with over 40 network devices and over 10 of them are labeled Android-xxxxxxxx.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 46 of 116
FURRYe38
Guru

You have the option of trying v40 FW and see if that helps you any. If not, revert back to working FW version. 

Factory reset and RBR and setup form scratch after loading v40 if you load it. 

@Divamatrix wrote:
It's not a showstopper? Speak for yourself!!!! Being able to track down and label my devices is actually one of the biggest selling points for why I bought an Orbi. I use the orbi app to help me monitor and control network access. I cant even keep track of what is what with over 40 network devices and over 10 of them are labeled Android-xxxxxxxx.

Message 47 of 116
migsta
Apprentice

There is no working firmware version.  Both .30, .38 and this hot fix are completely screwed on the devices front.  I no longer use my Orbi because it is useless without functional device labelling.  This has to be a simple fix for Netgear but they ignore the issue.

Message 48 of 116
mrworldwide
Aspirant

This bug has been driving me NUTS lately, so I have now rolled back to FW 2.3.5.30.

I have 50+ devices hanging off my Orbi and often need to disable internet on the kids gadgets, so easy identifying what devices are what is so important.

Please fix this Netgear, as I do like the extra customisation you can give devices in the latest Firmware.

Message 49 of 116
MartijnD
Aspirant

same issue here. 

Even existing hostname from before update to latest version are scrambled.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 50 of 116
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7