Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 Device Names not Saving

CrimpOn
Guru

And, the release notes say that versions prior to 212 have to be upgraded to it first.

Message 101 of 116
thrustercat
Aspirant

Having the display pics stick is not major deal for me, but It’s deffo a nice to have.

What worries me is what this device is not doing that it should?

My main question is whether his system is effective, or just a waste of cash.

It was a hell of a lot of money for why was advertised as a whiz-bang bells and whistles router (which I’m using as an AP). Sounds like the whistles have been robbed of their ball bearings.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 102 of 116
FURRYe38
Guru

FW version v2.5.1.8 fixes device naming. Please load it up if your seeing problems. 

@thrustercat wrote:
Having the display pics stick is not major deal for me, but It’s deffo a nice to have.

What worries me is what this device is not doing that it should?

My main question is whether his system is effective, or just a waste of cash.

It was a hell of a lot of money for why was advertised as a whiz-bang bells and whistles router (which I’m using as an AP). Sounds like the whistles have been robbed of their ball bearings.

Message 103 of 116
Jagajak
Initiate

I am running 2.5.0.38 on both the r and the s. Been trying all night to rename devices via the orbi app. Would these fools really not check renaming functionality before sending an update? I'm getting so sick of incompetence. To the techs at ng:. Do your job. Do it well or throw yourselves away. Lots of people spend lots of money on a product you are supposed to stand behind and we are months... Months without a fix. This is not a minor thing to many. Version 38 has tons of issues including nightly dropped wifi signal and spotty connects. Project manager, get the dang job done right. Again I spent hours tonight trying to rename 60 devices only to have all the work get scraped. Someone at ng needs to lose a job. Many of you may be better suited in the fast food drive through position. Only have to deal with very small tasks and make sure you don't forget the hot sauce.
Message 104 of 116
CrimpOn
Guru

I, myself, finally updated to 2.5.1.8 in order to answer an unrelated question.  I find that device names and types "stick" on this firmware.  I am not totally thrilled with the new "icons" (rather than cool pictures) and I lament the loss of things like "Linux computer", but they stick.  It appears (to me) that the people who have been saying for some time that 2.5.1.8 resolved the "device issue" are correct.

Message 105 of 116
Jagajak
Initiate

I've tried to update my fw but says no update available. This tells me ng hasn't officially sent it out yet... Can we trust a company who can't even get the updates sent out correctly? To make it available on a manual upload rather then the normal push out seems scary and sketchy but maybe that's the new Norm for ng. Their new tag line should be "Netgear, we MEAN mediocrity and we always live up to the level of our incompetence."
Message 106 of 116
FURRYe38
Guru

Can be found here:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061530/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-1-8

Maybe your tag line should read, "Jagajak, I MEAN mediocrity and I always live up to the level of my incompetence."

@Jagajak wrote:
I've tried to update my fw but says no update available. This tells me ng hasn't officially sent it out yet... Can we trust a company who can't even get the updates sent out correctly? To make it available on a manual upload rather then the normal push out seems scary and sketchy but maybe that's the new Norm for ng. Their new tag line should be "Netgear, we MEAN mediocrity and we always live up to the level of our incompetence."

Message 107 of 116
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

@Jagajak, you are running v2.5.0.x firmware, and it was retracted by Netgear after many bugs were found including device naming issues.  NG disabled autoupdate in recent releases due to the issues that it has caused.  I suggest manually upgrading your RBR50 and RBS50 to v2.5.1.8 available from https://www.netgear.com/suppzio fort/product/RBK53.aspx#download

1. Backup your settings of the RBR50 router (in case you need to restore or revert)

2. Download the zip file for both the RBR50 router and RBS50 satellite

3. Unzip the files

4. Manually upgrade the firmware on the RBS50 satellites first using the RBS-v2.5.1.8.img file

5. Finally, upgrade the firmware on the RBR50 router using the RBR-v2.5.1.8.img file

I have been running V2.5.1.8 on my RBR50 and RBS50 for over a month and it has been stable, and device naming is working as it should.  The device naming and icons have changed from the v2.3.x and prior releases.

@Jagajak wrote:
I am running 2.5.0.38 on both the r and the s. Been trying all night to rename devices via the orbi app. Would these fools really not check renaming functionality before sending an update? I'm getting so sick of incompetence. To the techs at ng:. Do your job. Do it well or throw yourselves away. Lots of people spend lots of money on a product you are supposed to stand behind and we are months... Months without a fix. This is not a minor thing to many. Version 38 has tons of issues including nightly dropped wifi signal and spotty connects. Project manager, get the dang job done right. Again I spent hours tonight trying to rename 60 devices only to have all the work get scraped. Someone at ng needs to lose a job. Many of you may be better suited in the fast food drive through position. Only have to deal with very small tasks and make sure you don't forget the hot sauce.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 108 of 116
Hixz
Guide

I can confirm 2.5.1.8 on my RBR50 and RBS50 is stable with device naming restorted. 

Message 109 of 116
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working. Thank you for letting us know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Hixz wrote:

I can confirm 2.5.1.8 on my RBR50 and RBS50 is stable with device naming restorted. 

Message 110 of 116
Rshotok
Aspirant

Same here, upgraded over the weekend and all seems well so far!

Message 111 of 116
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working. Thank you for letting us know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Rshotok wrote:

Same here, upgraded over the weekend and all seems well so far!

Message 112 of 116
fhammami
Aspirant

Same issue here and also significant drops of connectivity since the last uNgrade to 2.5.0.38.
Message 113 of 116
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

@fhammami., if you are still running v2.5.0.38, you should manually update to v2.5.1.8 to fix the issues. Read above for more details.

@fhammami wrote:
Same issue here and also significant drops of connectivity since the last uNgrade to 2.5.0.38.

Message 114 of 116
Bsalyer1
Aspirant

Why is this still an issue if it was reported in Oct of 2019 and now in late February 2020 I am still experiencing the issue. My firmware still says .38 and no updates available. Please help.
Message 115 of 116
FURRYe38
Guru

Please update to v2.5.1.8. This fixes the device naming issue:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download

A factory reset on the RBR maybe needed after the FW udpate. 

@Bsalyer1 wrote:
Why is this still an issue if it was reported in Oct of 2019 and now in late February 2020 I am still experiencing the issue. My firmware still says .38 and no updates available. Please help.

Message 116 of 116
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7