Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 Ethernet backhaul not working

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Orbi RBR50 Ethernet backhaul not working

I just wired up the router to each satellite with Ethernet cables, however they seem to still be connecting to each other in wireless mode… is there a way to manually enable the Ethernet backhaul? The router and satellites are updated to the latest firmware.. any ideas welcome - thank you!
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 Ethernet backhaul not working

There is no manual control of Orbi backhaul links.  When ethernet connectivity is detected, satellites switch over by themselves. (and, it the ethernet link disappears, they switch back).

The most common reason satellites do not switch to ethernet is something wrong with the ethernet link.  A quick test is to bring each of the satellites close to the router and connect it with a short ethernet patch cable.  If it switches to ethernet backhaul in a few minutes (not 'instantly'), then the switchover is functioning correctly.

Do those "ethernet cables" consist of a combination of ethernet wiring inside the walls, RJ45 wall plates, a patch panel, ethenet patch cables, and perhaps an etherent switch? There was a post recently where the switch was found to be the problem.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Hardwired-Satellites-slower/m-p/2107139#M121911 

Message 2 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply.

The router is connected to each satellite simply via an Ethernet patch cable. No panels, no switches or wall plates. Just a brand new patch cable. I tried testing the cable with another router and it works perfectly.

I also tried your suggestion of connecting the satellite to the router in the same room via a different cable. Strangely it worked. But my theory is that if the satellite and router are not connected via a strong wireless signal, it does not switch to the Ethernet back haul. There seems to be no other explanation, as the patch cables work fine, as mentioned above…
Please let me know your thoughts

Many thanks!
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

If the RBS is working via ethernet while in same room as the RBR, then ethernet is working between them. Possible problems are bad cables or bad terminating RJ45 plugs. 

If the RBS sync wirelessly first to the RBR, you can connect the ethernet cable to the RBS and it will sync using the ethernet connection. If the connection is good and stable wired then the RBS should remain connected via ethernet connection until such time that the ethernet connection is disabled or unplugged then the RBS will attenpt to connect via wireless. IF the signal isn't good or too far, then the RBS won't connect at all.

Message 4 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Are you saying that the RBS will ONLY connect via Ethernet if there is good wireless signal as well? As one of the RBS that I’ve placed is very far from the router and does not receive wireless signal (which is why I decided to connect via Ethernet cable).
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

If the RBS does get a good wireless signal and there is a good ethernet connection present, the RBS will connect via ethernet. I believe it would prefer this conection over wireless.

How far away is the remote RBS being placed? 

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:
Are you saying that the RBS will ONLY connect via Ethernet if there is good wireless signal as well? As one of the RBS that I’ve placed is very far from the router and does not receive wireless signal (which is why I decided to connect via Ethernet cable).

No. This is not the case, although this does raise an interesting question. "Will the satellite switch to ethernet if there is absolutely no WiFi backhaul signal at all?"  The typical report behavior is that the satellite powers up, connects to the router over WiFi, and the switches to the faster ethernet link.

The purpose of testing satellite ethernet in the same room as the router is only to verify that the satellite can switch from WiFi to ethernet.  Knowing that the satellite functions correctly eliminates it from the problem.... leaving the cable.

With no jacks, no patch panels, no switches, the only remaining item is the cable.  Is it possible to connect a computer to the cable and observe how the computer and the Orbi report the status of the connection between computer and router?

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

I neglected to ask the obvious question.  When the satellite is in that remote location and is powered on, what happens with the Ring Light at the top?  After about 2-3 minutes, does it turn Blue, Amber, or Magenta?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7