Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 Firmware V2.2.1.210

RJA1971
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 Firmware V2.2.1.210

Stupidly, I updated my firmware yesterday, from a rock solid system to what seems to be, a less effective network: V2.1.4.16 to V2.2.2.210.

My issues is that signal stregnth is reported to be variable and always, lower than previously, between my PLUG-IN and router, and my SATELLITE and router.

I have backdated the firmware several times, but within moments both the ROUTER and the PLUG-IN update themselves back to the new firmware. The Satellite (RBS50) won't backdate at all.

Any ideas?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the router and satellite and set up from scratch. Others have mentioned doing this resolved problems for them.

Message 2 of 22
RJA1971
Aspirant

Thanks, I'll try it. I've reset the Plug In and router, but not the Satellite.
I'll try again tomorrow and let you know.
Thanks.
R
Message 3 of 22
LarryinNJ
Star

I’m doing nothing, and hoping for the best. The 2.1.4.16 firmware was as good as I could ask for and would stay on it forever, if I could.

But I can’t...
Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 4 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

@RJA1971 wrote:
Thanks, I'll try it. I've reset the Plug In and router, but not the Satellite.
I'll try again tomorrow and let you know.
Thanks.
R

Message 5 of 22
RJA1971
Aspirant

The separation is about right, add it's not changed since the unfortunate update. It's definitely the new firmware that's the problem. Previously the system was absolutely rock solid.

A further issue, not so important I guess, is that on the IOS app, the router is shown as offline when using a remote connection. (it's not disconnected of course, it's just another problem with V2.2.1.210)

The signal strength of the PLUG-IN is still significantly reduced.
Message 6 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try this, download the v210 FW files, manually install them using IE11 or FF browser. Factory reset the entire system and set up from scratch. See if the problem continues, if so, you might revert back to last working FW version...

@RJA1971 wrote:
The separation is about right, add it's not changed since the unfortunate update. It's definitely the new firmware that's the problem. Previously the system was absolutely rock solid.

A further issue, not so important I guess, is that on the IOS app, the router is shown as offline when using a remote connection. (it's not disconnected of course, it's just another problem with V2.2.1.210)

The signal strength of the PLUG-IN is still significantly reduced.

Message 7 of 22
RJA1971
Aspirant

Thanks, I'll try this. There is a problem however; as soon as I change the firmware retrospectively, it reverts to the newest version. 😡

I'll give it a try. After that I have to options: just stuck it up, or but be kit and update to V2.1.2.410 or whatever it was.

I'll let you know.
Cheers.
R
Message 8 of 22
RJA1971
Aspirant

Sorry, last post unintelligible:
This is what I meant to post.

Thanks, I'll try it. There is a problem however; as soon as I change the firmware retrospectively, it reverts to the newest version. 😡 (even subsequent to a factory rest)

I'll give it a try. After that I have two options: just suck it up, or buy new kit and update to V2.1.2.410 or whatever it was.
Cheers,
R
Message 9 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, the auto update is active if you revert back.

Let us know how it goes with a manual install the

Message 10 of 22
JeroenM
Guide

Same problems here very bad wifi, connections constantly fail, when viewing on network analyzer 2,4ghz channels constantly disappeering.

wife and kids almost killing me, but finally after 30 factory resets 300 topics found tyh answers and solutions #exaggeratemodusoff

But Yes you can prevent auto update; 2 options:

* telnet in your orbi (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/5)

* put download.netgear.com in the blocked sites

(i did the last one and so far so good. I see there is an update but i'm, still on 2.1.4.16)

Message 11 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Next time, If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Hoping NG support can have a look at this. So try this out as well.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

or Try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

Others have v210 working well.

Message 12 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress or status on this? 

@RJA1971 wrote:
Sorry, last post unintelligible:
This is what I meant to post.

Thanks, I'll try it. There is a problem however; as soon as I change the firmware retrospectively, it reverts to the newest version. 😡 (even subsequent to a factory rest)

I'll give it a try. After that I have two options: just suck it up, or buy new kit and update to V2.1.2.410 or whatever it was.
Cheers,
R

Message 13 of 22
RJA1971
Aspirant

Thankfully, most of the issue has been 'resolved'. I've had to stay with V2.2.1.210, because I just couldn't return to my previous FW version. (not for the want of trying).

The network has returned to a stable and fast platform, BUT at the cost of my RBW30 Plugin. It never really recovered form the change to V2.2.1.210, and it's signal strength is too low to be useful. (what a waste!)

The lesson is: if it's not broken, don't fix it. Stay with your FW if it works.
Thanks to all who have shared their advice.
Message 14 of 22
BarryTreg
Apprentice

Thought things were stable, but alas, my google home and minis disconnect randomly (router and AP mode). Quite over it all now so swapped to Tplink Deco and all's good. Resisted as long as I could because these Orbis aren't cheap. 

It's difficult to see where the problems lie, but I am very suspiscious of devices that are placed where they are toggling between main unit and satellite. Who knows.

And thanks Furrye38, I admire your persistence in helping everyone.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 15 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Seen various issues with this RBW30 plug in and most not good. Really shouldn't need it of you have the RBS places well.

Glad it's finally working better. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@RJA1971 wrote:
Thankfully, most of the issue has been 'resolved'. I've had to stay with V2.2.1.210, because I just couldn't return to my previous FW version. (not for the want of trying).

The network has returned to a stable and fast platform, BUT at the cost of my RBW30 Plugin. It never really recovered form the change to V2.2.1.210, and it's signal strength is too low to be useful. (what a waste!)

The lesson is: if it's not broken, don't fix it. Stay with your FW if it works.
Thanks to all who have shared their advice.

Message 16 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Do the Google Home have there own wifi broadcast by chance?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

@BarryTreg wrote:

Thought things were stable, but alas, my google home and minis disconnect randomly (router and AP mode). Quite over it all now so swapped to Tplink Deco and all's good. Resisted as long as I could because these Orbis aren't cheap. 

It's difficult to see where the problems lie, but I am very suspiscious of devices that are placed where they are toggling between main unit and satellite. Who knows.

Message 17 of 22
BarryTreg
Apprentice

1. Arris CM8200, supplied by the NBN here in Australia.

2. 2 storey house, 1200 sq ft.

3. satellite is 35 ft away on second floor

4. I can't see any wifi broadcast form the google homes.

5. Channels set manually to 6, and also tried 1. Also been on auto.

6. Low density area, no more that half a dozen or so other ssid's show up

7. Done all those settings, done save, done reboots.

8. Also daisy chain enabled on latest firmware (and tried disabled)

So many different options and settings to run through which has been the pattern over the last 9 months trying to get reliability. Just finally had enough of doing this and bit the bullet on the TPLINK deco M5. Now I can compare and in my case, the TPlink has proven successful. Not so many configuration options (AP mode), but no dropouts, excellent wifi coverage and speeds. I've also reverted back to my Dlink router, so Orbi is now fully decommissioned!

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

@BarryTreg wrote:

Message 18 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this next time:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

Good Luck.

@BarryTreg wrote:

1. Arris CM8200, supplied by the NBN here in Australia.

2. 2 storey house, 1200 sq ft.

3. satellite is 35 ft away on second floor

4. I can't see any wifi broadcast form the google homes.

5. Channels set manually to 6, and also tried 1. Also been on auto.

6. Low density area, no more that half a dozen or so other ssid's show up

7. Done all those settings, done save, done reboots.

8. Also daisy chain enabled on latest firmware (and tried disabled)

So many different options and settings to run through which has been the pattern over the last 9 months trying to get reliability. Just finally had enough of doing this and bit the bullet on the TPLINK deco M5. Now I can compare and in my case, the TPlink has proven successful. Not so many configuration options (AP mode), but no dropouts, excellent wifi coverage and speeds. I've also reverted back to my Dlink router, so Orbi is now fully decommissioned!

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@BarryTreg wrote:

Message 19 of 22
LycanChief
Star

After this upgrade, my download speed of any device connected using ethernet has drop. I am a 1G AT&T user and now if I am connected behind the AT&T router, everything is around 930Mbps download speed. If I go behind the Orbi, average is around 540Mbps. Something changes in this upgrade.... Any idea of what can be happening.

AT&T modem is in Passthrough mode...

Did a factory reset already! - This fix the costaly droping the wifi or internet connecting and had to refresh it...

PD: The idea of just 30days support is ridiculous...Netgear have to give better support here.... Especially when they put buggy firmware...

Message 20 of 22
LycanChief
Star

Just downgraded to 2.1.4.16 and everything is fine now! Netgear must remove 2.2.1.210

Message 21 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a Manual FW load:

@LycanChief wrote:

Just downgraded to 2.1.4.16 and everything is fine now! Netgear must remove 2.2.1.210

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7