Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 Firmware V2.2.1.210

insecticide
Tutor

Orbi RBR50 Firmware V2.2.1.210

Recently saw a firmware update to V2.2.1.210 and tried it.  The orbi now shows an invalid certificate.  Rebooted the Orbi and computer...no joy.

Anybody else see this behavior?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

is this from the update UI or manual file download and install?

What browser are you using?

I recommend downloaded the recent files to your PC and use IE11 or FF browser to install them...Then factory reset everything and set up from scratch...

Message 2 of 14
insecticide
Tutor

Updated from the Web UI.  Browser is Safari (mojave os).

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend downloaded the recent files to your PC and use Safari or FF browser to install them...Then factory reset everything and set up from scratch...

Message 4 of 14
insecticide
Tutor

This problem only occurs if you try to use https instead of http of course.  Yeah call me crazy for using https.  The certificate used in the firmware or the https listener is appraently bad or misoncfigured.  That's a bug.

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Use HTTP for now...

I believe NG may not support HTTPS while on the LAN side of the router connecting to its UI. Not a security measure.

@Christian_R

@ChristineT

Message 6 of 14
Sweetmo
Aspirant

I am not a technical person and don't understand most of what I've read, but I still wanted to post something to help others who are frustrated.   I have been experiencing intermittent internet issues since Netgear indicates this firmware V2.2.1.210 was released on 10/3/18.    I've had the RBR40/RBS40 for several months and has been working with no issues compared to what I've experienced the past two days.    I went into my router and sure enough,  the firmware for both the router and satellite have the newest firmware V2.2.1.210.      On 10/4/18,  I was even tracking the intermittent issues down to about 20 minute intervals where I would lose internet.   Usually, after about 2-5 minutes,  it popped back on.   That subsided to where it would occur maybe every two hours or so.    It happened again today (10/5/18) several times this morning while working online, but it was more like an hour apart this time.   The Orbi shows wifi and even shows test speed is fine, so it's disguised somewhat to know where the problem was occurring until I found others with Orbi having the issue.  Not ever seeing this occur and being a new Orbi user,  I thought my att gateway modem was on the fritz (nvg589 I think).   Before calling and complaining,  I asked my neighbor who has the same service and no issues at all.  

I did see an option in the Orbi router to reboot which I did choose to do because I'm not yet frustrated enough yet to factory reset my device and redo the Orbi's setting from scratch.    If someone knows of a setting which will have Netgear at least tell people an update to the firmware is coming,  I would like to make that update.    It would at least give us a clue that maybe there is something wrong with that update.   

Model: RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Some are having luck with the autoupdate feature, some not so much. Others have mentioned that manually downloading the FW files and manually installing them on the satellites first and then the router then doing a factory reset has made there systems work:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

I recommend giving this a try and see how it goes.

Also if you have a gateway modem combo unit:

Modem Combo Units
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

@Sweetmo wrote:

I am not a technical person and don't understand most of what I've read, but I still wanted to post something to help others who are frustrated.   I have been experiencing intermittent internet issues since Netgear indicates this firmware V2.2.1.210 was released on 10/3/18.    I've had the RBR40/RBS40 for several months and has been working with no issues compared to what I've experienced the past two days.    I went into my router and sure enough,  the firmware for both the router and satellite have the newest firmware V2.2.1.210.      On 10/4/18,  I was even tracking the intermittent issues down to about 20 minute intervals where I would lose internet.   Usually, after about 2-5 minutes,  it popped back on.   That subsided to where it would occur maybe every two hours or so.    It happened again today (10/5/18) several times this morning while working online, but it was more like an hour apart this time.   The Orbi shows wifi and even shows test speed is fine, so it's disguised somewhat to know where the problem was occurring until I found others with Orbi having the issue.  Not ever seeing this occur and being a new Orbi user,  I thought my att gateway modem was on the fritz (nvg589 I think).   Before calling and complaining,  I asked my neighbor who has the same service and no issues at all.  

I did see an option in the Orbi router to reboot which I did choose to do because I'm not yet frustrated enough yet to factory reset my device and redo the Orbi's setting from scratch.    If someone knows of a setting which will have Netgear at least tell people an update to the firmware is coming,  I would like to make that update.    It would at least give us a clue that maybe there is something wrong with that update.   

Message 8 of 14
Sweetmo
Aspirant

I tried just the "reboot" and the past weekend testing seemed to work fine.   The past few days have been a wreck with multiple internet access gaps, so the reboot seemed to be only a temporary fix of some kind.     Frustrated at this point,  I am going to spend my time and reset to factory and start all over again to see if that truly makes a difference.    Don't take this the wrong way, but none of these other steps make any sense as I had no problems with the internet gaps on Orbi with my existing gateway modem until this firmware showed up and that was several months of use.     If starting over doesn't work,  I going to likely push for a refund and go with another wifi product.  

As I stated earlier,  I'm not a techy.   I bought this product as an average consumer looking for easy setup to resolve an existing wifi problem.   Having to do all this factory reset and technical step-by-step action items is not something I expect from a product that praises itself on ease of use.      

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I understand the frustration and agree, it should just work. Over all it does, however when it comes to these FW updates, I believe the main problems is due to the update process and the long standing NG process thats been around over the years that NG routers are updated and the router can continue to work with out any reboots or factory resets. This has been the norm for quiet a while now. However with these newer generation routers and FW code that gets updated, it seems like the more complex the FW code is, the update and continue method and thinking seems to becoming more problematic and harder to maintain. So were seeing varied processes where the auto update seems to work, then some where it doesn't and others have said the manually installing the FW and doing a factory reset has made there systems stable and work over letting the auto update system method. All this is something NG needs to look more into and figure out. The system should work after any sort of FW update. It's how the FW is getting applied and what happens there seems to be the problem. So keep this in mind. As my own general rule, I always manually download FW and install it and depending upon experiences with the system, will dictact weather I do a full factory reset and setup from scratch or just continue. Most of the time, it's a factory reset. 

You can help on your resets each time by after setting up the system fully, save a system configuration to file for back up. Use this when you have to do a reset, you can re-apply the configuration and save setup time...

@Sweetmo wrote:

I tried just the "reboot" and the past weekend testing seemed to work fine.   The past few days have been a wreck with multiple internet access gaps, so the reboot seemed to be only a temporary fix of some kind.     Frustrated at this point,  I am going to spend my time and reset to factory and start all over again to see if that truly makes a difference.    Don't take this the wrong way, but none of these other steps make any sense as I had no problems with the internet gaps on Orbi with my existing gateway modem until this firmware showed up and that was several months of use.     If starting over doesn't work,  I going to likely push for a refund and go with another wifi product.  

As I stated earlier,  I'm not a techy.   I bought this product as an average consumer looking for easy setup to resolve an existing wifi problem.   Having to do all this factory reset and technical step-by-step action items is not something I expect from a product that praises itself on ease of use.      

Message 10 of 14
Sweetmo
Aspirant

I've done the factory reset, but Orbi appears to be automatically updating to this new firmware 2.2.1.21 automatically by the time I get to the advanced firmware setting.    I did make a backup so we will see if I can use that next time.    The one thing that does seem to be fairly easy is the Orbi Startup guide, but loading the backup configuration will help with trying to rename and enable all the information I had originally.  

If this doesn't work,  I'll try to do some manual installs of the firmware even though that firmware is already loaded by netgear automatically and do a factory reset again.    

Thanks for your input Furrye38

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Also If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Hoping NG support can have a look at this. So try this out as well.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

@Sweetmo wrote:

I've done the factory reset, but Orbi appears to be automatically updating to this new firmware 2.2.1.21 automatically by the time I get to the advanced firmware setting.    I did make a backup so we will see if I can use that next time.    The one thing that does seem to be fairly easy is the Orbi Startup guide, but loading the backup configuration will help with trying to rename and enable all the information I had originally.  

If this doesn't work,  I'll try to do some manual installs of the firmware even though that firmware is already loaded by netgear automatically and do a factory reset again.    

Thanks for your input Furrye38

Message 12 of 14
Sweetmo
Aspirant

I didn't really follow the relationship with those that have Skybell, but I saw mention of the Daisy Chain in other discussions and saw it was already checked in the Wireless Advanced settings.    

Backhaul Topology
Enable Daisy-Chain Topology

I'll try this factory reset criteria for now.    It seems like just trial and error is all I can do.    I'll report back after I monitor the outcome of the factory reset option.    Thx again!

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, that should be enabled. At least from what others are saying, there problems went away after it was enabled. Seems that the new code somehow is reversed in operation. Smiley Frustrated

@Sweetmo wrote:

I didn't really follow the relationship with those that have Skybell, but I saw mention of the Daisy Chain in other discussions and saw it was already checked in the Wireless Advanced settings.    

Backhaul Topology
Enable Daisy-Chain Topology

I'll try this factory reset criteria for now.    It seems like just trial and error is all I can do.    I'll report back after I monitor the outcome of the factory reset option.    Thx again!

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7