Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 Hourly Disconnect

Makiimochi
Follower

Orbi RBR50 Hourly Disconnect

Hello! I just want to start off the post by saying I have zero to no experience with a lot of this so please bare with me and forgive me if I say anything strangely.

So I recently switched to AT&T as my ISP. I already had the Orbi from my previous setup and am using with the router we got from AT&T. Initially, I had the Orbi set to router mode but I was unable to access many websites, etc. I read up on how to solve the issue and so I switched my Orbi to AP mode but ever since, I have been experiencing a "No internet connection" on all devices every hour. This occurs at about the same time and for approximately five minutes. I work at home and it's been giving me a really hard time. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 2 of 12
wimmme
Tutor

Hello, i have exactly the same issue. For weeks now. Since Corona i am working fulltime at home, constantly connected via VPN.

Every hour at exact the same time all my connections got reset. 

I loose my vpn connection and internet connection

On all my devices by the way.

My setup

RBR50    firmware V2.5.1.8

RBS50 x2      firmware V2.5.1.8

RBS50Y     firmware V2.3.5.32

I am connected to the RBR50 via ethernet, which is wired via UTP6 to my cable modem.

If i connect to the internet directly i have no disconnects.

My VPN is a Cisco Anyconnect 4.3.03086

My house is about 310 sq meters (3300 sq ft), distance varies from 12m to 6m, depending on the walls (thick brick walls, al ot of concrete and piping).

Connections between them are good. Daisy chaining enabled (RBS50Y connects via one RBS50), roaming is working fine for other devices.

Fixed 2.4 channel, there are 2 or 3 other signals but not that strong.

Beamforming and MIMO and WMM enabled. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Disabled: Armor, Circle

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

Had a factory reset and setup from scratch  since last FW update

This should not be happening to a system that has cost me about 700$

I am no n00b.

Tried changing DHCP lease time via the debug page, but all my clients have reserved IP's, but no change in the disconnects

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

RBR50    firmware V2.5.1.8 = Bad firmware

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Do both wired and wireless get disconnected?

Only VPN? 

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

You can try to update your system to v16.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

Update using this process:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1901692/highlight/tru...

@wimmme wrote:

Hello, i have exactly the same issue. For weeks now. Since Corona i am working fulltime at home, constantly connected via VPN.

Every hour at exact the same time all my connections got reset. 

I loose my vpn connection and internet connection

On all my devices by the way.

My setup

RBR50    firmware V2.5.1.8

RBS50 x2      firmware V2.5.1.8

RBS50Y     firmware V2.3.5.32

I am connected to the RBR50 via ethernet, which is wired via UTP6 to my cable modem.

If i connect to the internet directly i have no disconnects.

My VPN is a Cisco Anyconnect 4.3.03086

My house is about 310 sq meters (3300 sq ft), distance varies from 12m to 6m, depending on the walls (thick brick walls, al ot of concrete and piping).

Connections between them are good. Daisy chaining enabled (RBS50Y connects via one RBS50), roaming is working fine for other devices.

Fixed 2.4 channel, there are 2 or 3 other signals but not that strong.

Beamforming and MIMO and WMM enabled. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Disabled: Armor, Circle

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

Had a factory reset and setup from scratch  since last FW update

This should not be happening to a system that has cost me about 700$

I am no n00b.

Tried changing DHCP lease time via the debug page, but all my clients have reserved IP's, but no change in the disconnects

Message 5 of 12
wimmme
Tutor

The modem is a Motorola / CV6181E (DOCSIS).

Disconnects are both wired, wireless, and so the VPN also .

2.4GHz is on channel 1

5GHz is on channel 36

Changed them all, to no avail; but some interference should NOT cause network disconnects, certainly not on the laptop i am using wired tot the RBR50.

I will try to update to that new version 2.5.1.16 this evening. 

Factory resetting and reconfiguring is a real PITA, since I have 50+ devices on my network, all with fixed IP's.

But i will and report back

Tnx for the feedback guys

Message 6 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

jusrt curious....how did you get firmware V2.5.1.8?

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem.

Fixed IPs meaning Reserved IPs on the RBR or static IPs set on your devices? 

After you reset the RBR and setup from scratch be sure to mack a backup configuration to file. This saves time if a reset is needed. 

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Keep us posted. 

@wimmme wrote:

The modem is a Motorola / CV6181E (DOCSIS).

Disconnects are both wired, wireless, and so the VPN also .

2.4GHz is on channel 1

5GHz is on channel 36

Changed them all, to no avail; but some interference should NOT cause network disconnects, certainly not on the laptop i am using wired tot the RBR50.

I will try to update to that new version 2.5.1.16 this evening. 

Factory resetting and reconfiguring is a real PITA, since I have 50+ devices on my network, all with fixed IP's.

But i will and report back

Tnx for the feedback guys

Message 8 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

it's a firmware issue...no more questions are needed

Message 9 of 12
theoak
Luminary

DHCP lease reset hourly?  Up the lease time?  Does that coincide with your drop outs?

Message 10 of 12
wimmme
Tutor

Hi, just a question. I installed 2.5.1.16 on my satellites and router, but I still have to do a factory reset. Problem isn't solved just by installing the firmware.

Searched the forums but can't really find a good answer to this question: for a factory reset, is it ok/sufficient to just do a factory reset of the router (RBR50), and will the sattelites follow the router, or do i have to factory reset the sattelites also (including my RBS50Y which had no new firmware). And if yes, how do i do that, first the sattelites , with the pinhole, then the router? Or all together ? Tnx ! 

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to make a new post next time please as to not sidetrack this thread post. Thank you. 

Yes, factory rest the RBR and RBS by pressing the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. Turn OFF the RBSY. Setup the RBR from scratch. You can add the RBS during the set up wizard or add them after wards. If you set the same SSID name and password on the RBR, the RBSY will reconnect after you turn it back on. 

Good Luck. 

@wimmme wrote:

Hi, just a question. I installed 2.5.1.16 on my satellites and router, but I still have to do a factory reset. Problem isn't solved just by installing the firmware.

Searched the forums but can't really find a good answer to this question: for a factory reset, is it ok/sufficient to just do a factory reset of the router (RBR50), and will the sattelites follow the router, or do i have to factory reset the sattelites also (including my RBS50Y which had no new firmware). And if yes, how do i do that, first the sattelites , with the pinhole, then the router? Or all together ? Tnx ! 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7